Zzevir

Linden Lab CEO Confirms New Round Of Layoff

While it sucks for the people losing their jobs, hopefully this means they'll have more time, money and effort to spend on SL instead of the doomed Sansar, which is what's being cut into.

• Like 5

Just now, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I don't think anyone said that....??

Go read the comments on He Who Shall Not Be Named's blog post... plenty of people saying it.

1 minute ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I hope Torley comes back. :) 

JINX!

Just now, Beth Macbain said:

Go read the comments on He Who Shall Not Be Named's blog post... plenty of people saying it.

JINX!

Oh, I almost never bother with blogs. 

So let's root for Torley instead! 🍉🍉🍉

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I don't think anyone said that....??

I hope Torley comes back. :) 

i don't read that line as bringing back a old employee, but just bring in heavy weights for SL ... also a bit lacking info about that money pit product...

4 minutes ago, animats said:

The real question is, is Sansar dead? And if not, why not?

sansarfeb2020.thumb.png.407020f37f2c4781391c801cf287f640.png

Reality.

Still people there. Still people working. Still people buying. Still people putting out new creations. STILL PEOPLE.  

13 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Still people there. Still people working. Still people buying. Still people putting out new creations. STILL PEOPLE.  

That's not always a good indicator of much of anything positive.

There is a train station roughly 5 miles from my house. It is old, it is run down, it has been closed up for at least 20 years.

It still has all its signage, it still LOOKS like a train station, there are still people that hang around it, there are some who even live there occasionally (temporarily), the parking lot has been used a few times for various different things, trains still run down the tracks running alongside it.....

None of that means it's still a train station, though.

Sansar is like that, except it never was sansar to begin with, it just always wanted to be, and the people struggled to try and make it so, despite LL and their inability to actually understand any product of which they claim ownership. People still being there doesn't magically make it into sansar, something it never actually was, and really, given the entire path from start to finish, never could've been. In some cases, the mere existence of people really doesn't make something so. Sansar is a really good (bad?) example of precisely that. What the people wanted it to be, and what LL wanted it to be, were polar opposites, and only one half of that equation actually made a concerted effort (hint: it wasn't the half that could actually do anything). I feel bad for people that put so much value into something that never was going to be :(  (and, oddly, some still do...but, I think they're seriously misguided..though that's just personal opinion).

I do feel terrible for people that lost their jobs because LL, STILL, 17+ years later, doesn't understand what they have...in their products, in their employees, and in their audience, let alone how to pursue better and more. That's a massive flaw in the company as a whole that has never gone away-and that's something I really don't understand, on any level, and I have definitely tried. People have blamed former employees, former CEOs, etc.. etc.. but, the problem has been around since day one, we've changed hands multiple times, the problem persists...methinks there's more to it than just those people being at fault (who, some, admittedly, made other bad choices too, I'm not denying thta fact). 

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cinos Field said:

hopefully this means they'll have more time, money and effort to spend on SL

100% what this was about! Second Life has THREE rock star graphics devs now, an engineer with a proven track record for asset optimization to make texture delivery and management fast and reliable, and so much more. The various teams will have more to say in coming months, or just watch the viewer and server release notes. Right now, some of them are literally re-learning to get dressed. They missed the era between Bento bodies and Bakes on Mesh. :)

It was a painful adjustment. But a lot of the old timers and hardcore off-hours SL users here believe these changes are important. It's part of the strategy for breathing many extra years of life into our favorite world.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 17

4 minutes ago, Soft Linden said:

Right now, some of them are literally re-learning to get dressed. They missed the era between Bento bodies and Bakes on Mesh.

I know that pain lol.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

SECOND LIFE IS DEAD!

This has been the prediction ever since Second Life allowed free signups, and for every change or feature since. Second Life, or Sixtieth Death?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Just now, Soft Linden said:

This has been the prediction ever since Second Life allowed free signups, and for every change or feature since. Second Life, or Sixtieth Death?

I don't know you, but I love you. Be my Valentine? ❤️

Don't tell @Quartz Mole... he might get jealous!

I hope!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I wonder who they brought back?

Kurt Linden is back for sure - he's viewer QA.
Monty Linden is back - I suspect he may be the "engineer with a proven track record for asset delivery optimization" that Soft mentioned above.
Maestro Linden - I'm not 100% sure he is back but I saw him on a region I was on yesterday so I really hope he is.  Maestro is amazing.
Runitai Linden - I heard a rumor he is back not I have no idea if it's true, but Soft did say above that "Second Life has THREE rock star graphics devs now" and I only knew of two & Runitai is a graphics dev, so maybe?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Whirly Fizzle said:

Kurt Linden is back for sure - he's viewer QA.
Monty Linden is back - I suspect he may be the "engineer with a proven track record for asset delivery optimization" that Soft mentioned above.
Maestro Linden - I'm not 100% sure he is back but I saw him on a region I was on yesterday so I really hope he is.  Maestro is amazing.
Runitai Linden - I heard a rumor he is back not I have no idea if it's true, but Soft did say above that "Second Life has THREE rock star graphics devs now" and I only knew of two & Runitai is a graphics dev, so maybe?

I admit I don't know most of those names, but I have indeed heard of Maestro! Thanks for the scoop!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

20 people, no it's not dead, it just never came to life is all.

Not everything needs to be bleeding to be considered dead. Simply need to show no signs of life.

23 minutes ago, Soft Linden said:

Right now, some of them are literally re-learning to get dressed.

don't waste time on that, let them run around as half noobs, we don't mind if the work gets done ( right and in time (for a change) )

• Like 2

That sounds like good news and I hate to be the fly in the ontment but...

34 minutes ago, Soft Linden said:

Right now, some of them are literally re-learning to get dressed. They missed the era between Bento bodies and Bakes on Mesh. :)

I said it before when there were discussions about transferring Sansar Lindens back to SL and now that it seems to be reality: MAKE SURE THEY'RE PROPERLY HOUSE TRAINED BEFORE YOU LET THEM BACK IN!

I'm serious. Second Life isn't dead fortunately but it would have been if Oz and his skeleton crew hadn't managed to repair some of the damage his predecessor was unable to prevent. SL has already had six dark years and can't take a seventh, so do not let anybody back if they're still stuck in the SL 2008-2013 mindset!!!

48 minutes ago, Soft Linden said:

100% what this was about! Second Life has THREE rock star graphics devs now, an engineer with a proven track record for asset optimization to make texture delivery and management fast and reliable, and so much more.

That's great to hear, now see if you can find some a content creator or two with a track record for asset optimization too. And get the creators and developers to talk to each other! Both groups need the other's expertise to be able to do their job well.

As for texture delivery, have you looked at how the CDN servers are configured? Akamai's main focus is websites and apparently their servers are set up to cap image downloads by default. That won't do in SL of course and if the settings have reverted to that deafult somehow it may explain the recent increase in load time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

SECOND LIFE IS DEAD!

I have it on very good authority, though,  that  

That is not dead which can eternal lie. 
And with strange aeons even death may die

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1