You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 77 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Are you new to the RLV experience? Has someone told you stuff that just didn't seem right? Knowing what RLV is and what it does is the key to keep you from being taken advantage of.
  Yes there is users of RLV that look for the RLV ignorant and play games that can cause stress and drama for you as sad as it is.

RLV stands for Restricted Love Viewer it is a feature in your viewer that gives others, object and furniture control over your avatar. Most use this as  BDSM based play or just plain kinky sex.
  RLV  can be fun if you like the loss of control, it can be light or extreme, whatever level you are comfortable. I wont go into the details of exactly how it works, my knowledge is basic but I can help you  sort out the truths with the untruths.

Lets start off with some myths and go right to busting them:

1. You are in control of RLV, your viewer and what happens while you are under anyones control. You can turn off RLV by:
Firestorm: Go to your tabs and click AVATAR>PREFERENCES>FIRESTORM, then the Tab of Extras, the first check box is " Allow Remote Scripted Viewer " uncheck it to turn  off, you can even do this before you even log in, when your viewer comes up on your PC screen, up in the left corner is two tabs, one of them will have preferences, look for the same tabs and you can turn off RLV. relog and fix yourself, turn back on RLV, Tp to a diff sim and relog.

2.The biggest myth of all time is
    " If you turn off RLV for any reason it's cheating!"
    I have to laugh at this, it's only cheating if you are under someones control that mean something to you, like a Dom/Domm  Spouse/partner ETC. and you turn off RLV to " Cheat" them out of the control you gave them.
   It is ok to turn off RLV if you get stuck on furniture, object or some asshat put you there but forgot to release you or just put you there to be a dick.It's not cheating to help yourself out of a situation.

3. Ok some person at some sim gifted you a collar or gave you one and locked it on you and now poofed or says he owns you.. blah blah blah, unless you like that, you can turn off RLV, relog, take off the collar, toss it in the trash, turn back on RLV and relog home.

4. You put someone as a owner with out realizing they had total power over you in the collar.  You can runaway, if you cant touch the collar to get into the menu just use /prefixrunaway the jerk will be notified but I can promise you, they wont really care, they did it to a million RLV users already.
    What the prefix is is your name initials, either the first and sec letters or the older ones was your first initial and your last name initial, if you don't have one just use your first two letters. so it would look like this /gerunaway  on newer collars or /gorunaway  if on older versions
   Never put someone you don't know very well as collar owner, best to add them to trusted, that way you still have executive power is things don't work out  but  they still can control you. If they get mad about you not putting them as a owner, that should be a reg flag to you, don't do it just to make them happy, remember YOU are in control.

5. As far as Linden Labs is concerned RLV is consensual and if someone insists on griefing/harassing you using RLV, turn it off, it's ok, nobody is going to belittle you for doing it, we have all been in situations just like that at some point of time. Most RLV collars have a way to blacklist someone off it, or you can turn it to only a group or private setting. Leaving your collar open to the public does not have to be intimidating, it can be fun, just knowing how to handle situations makes it less dramatic and getting out of stuff a snap.

6. There is so many ways someone could abuse the RLV system and put you to a serious disadvantage, you can ask for help. Join RLV support groups, creators groups, someone will help you fix your collar, get you off something you're stuck on.

7. Make back ups of your collars, put in a separate folder. Make sure they are set the way you want or you will be messing with the settings all over again.

A lot of older sl account doms here will purposely find and toss on a collar on someone who is new to RLV/SL in general, why is this common, because these guys prefer ignorance over experience, they can tell you something and you a slave/sub will believe them because you did not know any better and that is how RLV myths are formed. Ask them if they ever managed a real submissive, mostly likely they will say" Yes" how do you know that, honestly the number game is very much against  what they tell you. In the end more than likely  once they collar you, they slowly will get tired of you and either log in less and less or just claim they are busy. All SL doms do and will ditch their slaves/subs because neither of you established basic common likes  and dislikes past BDSM.If the only thing holding you two  is your leash, a  collar and sucking ***** in a cage, you're pretty much setting yourself up to be hurt.
It is ok to play a submissive and not want a owner, it is ok to like the capture game, move from one dom to another for sex, we all have our comfort zones, nothing wrong with what you like. Being safe and feeling ok with things is never wrong.

• Thanks 1

I would like to add a little extra to the original post. This is in dealing with another myth about rlv. The myth that rlv can be made permanent or inescapable. This is a complete lie and false statement. You cannot make rlv permanent, nothing in sl is permanent. Not rlv, not vore, not eoa, not snuff, not transformations or mutilations. rlv cannot be made inescapable, anyone that tries to claim they can is lieing to you and trying to deceive you and brainwash you into believe an untruth. you can always escape from rlv and doing so is not cheating by any means. only the egotistical and abusive and untrustworthy will try and claim it is. you do not ever have to stay restrained or locked or restricted to any device in any cage, by any item any longer than you decide or want. it is your choice how long it lasts, not someone else ever. it only lasts as long as you feel comfortable, not some timer on some object. and no its not cheating to safeword off an item or out of a cage or anything like that. that is just a lie created by the emotionally and mentally and psychologically abusive predators of sl aka fake doms

remember its your sl, not theirs, your choice not theirs, your decision not theirs, your power not theirs. you decide what is enough for you not them. even if you are a sub, even if you are a pet, even if you are a slave, even if you are furniture, its your choice in the end how long it lasts not theirs. if they dont like it, tough, it doesn't matter. if they are unwilling to talk and negotiate or change what is done, they dont deserve your trust or loyalty or faithfulness or respect or submission.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I decided to add another myth about rlv and this concerns the relay used to allow things to interact with your viewer. What i am talking about is having an relay set to auto. A lot of people will like to try and claim or say that this means or implies auto-consent. This is not true, it has nothing to do with consent and everything to do with not having to make a choice for every little action. A lot of people will put their collar on auto just so they do not have to reply to the dialog every time with a yes or no like ask would make you do. This does not mean they have given or implied consent was given to anyone and everyone for anything and everything at any time. Dont try to assume of imply or infer that it does; it doesnt, if you do and they complain, its your fault for being an arrogant and ignorant jerk, not theirs for having their collar on auto.

When in doubt ask first, it takes very little time to ask in an IM. And this can lead to a lot less drama or complaints. The person with the collar does not have to keep it on ask just because you want to believe or claim or assume or imply that having it on auto means auto-consent. Dont be one of those types of people.

Oh there is another common myth that rlv can give them control over your account. It cant. It does not give them access to your account or any information other than what is already visible. Nor can they control what groups you can be in or what friends you can have, or what inventory you have. Nor can they delete any of your inventory by rlv.

I think this covers most of the common myths, if anyone can think of any others feel free to list them here. The more that are list and busted, the less drama or frustrations new rlv users have to go through if they come here and read this.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Thanks 1

Well eoa is permanent, as I understand it, that you give your account password to someone else and they change it so that you can't get it back.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Hippolyta Nova said:

Well eoa is permanent, as I understand it, that you give your account password to someone else and they change it so that you can't get it back.

No its not, you can get your account back by putting in a support ticket request to ll by saying your account was compromised. they will lock the account until you confirm ownership over the account. at which point you they will change the email to one you have control over.

plus if they just change the password you can do a password reset request. they have to change the email that goes with the account not just the password.

The only thing that is even somewhat permanent in sl is if you get your account banned. Even then you can just create a new account and start over. And you can make your alt look like and be named nearly exactly the same as the original if wanted so its like nothing ever happened. So there is truly nothing that is really 100% permanent in sl at all. Any claim that someone can make something perm is just a lie. Even sim bans and group bans are not perm. they may eventually be lifted or you create an alt account and the ban no longer means anything.

Your response is exactly why I created this sort of post. 

If you're having any difficulty at all recovering your account, creating a ticket as a guest from an email that you control is the best option. Tell us the name of your avatar and report it as an 'Account Compromise' and our team will investigate as the article suggests -- you can create a guest ticket and call the Fraud line just the same. Please let me know if you have other questions and have a good day!

Best wishes,

Maggie Linden
Second Life Customer Support
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

No its not, you can get your account back by putting in a support ticket request to ll by saying your account was compromised. they will lock the account until you confirm ownership over the account. at which point you they will change the email to one you have control over.

Well, I guess that's possible, but it seems to be going against the spirit of the thing.

3 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

plus if they just change the password you can do a password reset request. they have to change the email that goes with the account not just the password.

True, as long as they don't change the email associated with the account, too.

And yeah of course you can make an alt that is almost exactly the same as your previous account, but that's not really the same as getting the previous account back.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hippolyta Nova said:

Well, I guess that's possible, but it seems to be going against the spirit of the thing.

Not really, because you dont ever have to play fair or do as they say. Its your account you choose what happens not someone in some eoa group ever. There is no spirit of the thing; eoa was just contrived to give people a way to steal others account and convince them they had no way of getting it back when they always did. It was a mind game used to trick the uneducated. Hence its a myth and not true. 

No one here in sl ever has to do what someone else says or play by anyone elses rules or ethics or morals ever if they dont want to. Doesnt matter if that other person or group wants to call it cheating either, because its not. the fact they try and call it cheating means they are cheating, they are expecting others to adhere to their standards as if they are important or special when they are not.

No one single person or group here is any more important or special than any other. No one has to adhere to any rules that they dont like ever but the ll tos.

True, as long as they don't change the email associated with the account, too.

which not everyone thinks about doing because they dont think their victim is smart enough to just do a password reset to get it back, those that do again are stupid for even doing it because technically they risk being banned for taking another uses account which is against the tos. Only one user is allowed to use an account. it cant be sold or given or traded to another player.

And yeah of course you can make an alt that is almost exactly the same as your previous account, but that's not really the same as getting the previous account back.

The point is you can make it 'exactly' like the old account just maybe a slightly different name and age which unless those things mean anything to the person its inconsequential at that point. You just have to spend the time to get all the same items back and its just like its a cloned account. No different then the original only the age and maybe the name by a small change. A lot of people have alts in sl, more than will admit. In fact most that claim they dont, actually do and just dont want to admit to it. which is their prerogative to do.

eoa is just a stupid kink/fetish in reality and yes I just shamed everyone that does it by saying that. your avatar cannot die at all. nothing in sl is permanent. eoa is just for those who are obsessed about bad ends. they eoa their account then make a new one and start over and do it again and again. the only even somewhat near true death of an avatar is if you delete your account. even that is not perm because you can put in a support ticket to have it restored. there is no real death in sl. the only true death is if you die in rl and never log back in again.

and the person that took the account if they spend any money on it or change or delete anything or buy anything for it risks loosing all of it if the original owner decides they want it back and puts in a support ticket. which 'is' their right and choice to do no matter if members of the eoa groups dont like it. the worst they can be is ejected and banned from that group. which is not the end of the world by any means. being banned from a group or sim is mostly meaningless it doesnt really hurt the person it was done to, its nothing but an ego boost for the one that does it. "i got rid of playerabc...im powerful..fear me..respect me.."

27 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

download.jpg.0ac51267fa8f09966e791a53eb7d2426.jpg

I find this hilarious really. I was not attempting to mansplain anything but if that is how you wish to see it then that is fine. I simply do not believe in letting people be taken advantage of by those who will do it because they think its their right to do so here. so yes if I needed to correct something that was said I did so if anyone gets insulted by the way I do it that is their problem and not mine. im not changing how I talk to make someone else who doesnt really know me be happy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2020 at 4:25 PM, Beth Macbain said:

download.jpg.0ac51267fa8f09966e791a53eb7d2426.jpg

Is it mainsplaining?

Looks to me like a lot of prattling nonsense, completely unrelated to gender.

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 77 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.