The Anti-Valentine's Day Thread

Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1531 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Yes it is.  But I think that the only lasting things we leave behind us are other people's memories of us, and our children.  You may come to the end of your perfect life and deeply regret leaving neither.

There are many things that last longer than people's memories of an individual, such as a work of art or literature, though I'll grant you most people don't create them.  I do regret not leaving children in the world but then I had no choice in the matter.  I doubt many people will remember me so perhaps I'd better get a book published. :/ 

[Edit to bring it back on topic]  Perhaps a book on my romantic disasters!

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Yes it is.  But I think that the only lasting things we leave behind us are other people's memories of us, and our children.  You may come to the end of your perfect life and deeply regret leaving neither.

I don’t care about leaving memories of myself. I would rather live happily for myself doing whatever it is I want to do than having children or partners for the sake of it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

^^^This sounds very judgemental to me. Being single doesn't mean one doesn't have children... or deep abiding friendships. Freedom from a painful relationship is something to be cherished, not denigrated. 

No, not being judgmental.  Just pointing out what I see as the downsides to a life lived solo.

There are downsides to living with a partner too.  Everyone has to make their own choices.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, BelindaN said:

I just remember feeling left out at school, as with most school stuff.  I may have once got a card, but unsigned so what's the point.

Now I'm happily married, so we just ignore it.

Here in SL,  like most things, its over-egged. (That might be a Yorkshire saying.....over-egging the pudding).😋

Me and my man were also left out in school. I know it was mostly because we are an interracial couple. But we did get married on that day 40 years ago. Long time and I refrained from whacking him with a large cast iron skillet!

Now though the marketers has way over done it with the V-day stuff.  The party we're having at our bar will celebrate our 40 years instead and maybe a tiny v-day sign somewhere! :D

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Storm Clarence said:

/me    I love you!

/her   Is that the wine talking?

/me   No.  That's me talking to the wine.

My sentiments on Valentine's Day is of Biblical perspective - Adam and Eve didn't have a date on Valentine's Day; they had an apple.

For all the vaunted 'free will' stuff, poor old Eve didn't get a choice at all.  She was created married.

Sometimes I feel like that.

(PS. Holy Valentine, pray for us)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In honour of this - thing - sponsored by the Greeting Card Industry ("We take the effort out of tacky") and purveyors of chocolate like substances ("Now cocoa free with added cane and palm") I am combining the commercial and religious bits.

I bought a new centurion outfit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, anna2358 said:

For all the vaunted 'free will' stuff, poor old Eve didn't get a choice at all.  She was created married.

I'm not so sure poor young Adam had too much of a choice either. 

Imho, I think Adam was the inspiration for a Henny Youngman line:  'Take my wife, please!'

Valentine s day make me feel good,i love atmosphere in this day in sl and in rl.but in the same time many memories comes in my head like one of my exes will have happy date with his gf and another one will celebrate it with his wife. And i will celebrate it with my lonely heart and sl

Snapshot_004.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

The party we're having at our bar will celebrate our 40 years instead and maybe a tiny v-day sign somewhere!

Wow, so congrats first of all! 40 years . . . !

I kind of love that you celebrate your anniversary on Valentine's Day! That's meaningful in a way that so much of the hype is not. And, whether you call it V-Day or not, your successful and loving relationship is, after all, what it's supposed to be about. Yay you!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, anna2358 said:

(PS. Holy Valentine, pray for us)

Not only married, but subservient. Basically, her exercise of "free will" came down to a question of whether she chose to obey or not -- with nasty consequences for making the "wrong" choice. As you say, not really much of a "choice," was it?

2 hours ago, Storm Clarence said:

I'm not so sure poor young Adam had too much of a choice either.

Poor young Adam didn't, as you say, have much of a choice either. Pretty much no one did in those "good old days."

I'll say this for Adam, at least in Milton's version of the story as he tells it in Paradise Lost: when faced with the fact of Eve's "sin," he chooses to join with her in that choice, knowing that he is doing "wrong," out of his love for Eve.

As Milton tells it, that's also a sin, because he's putting his love of Eve before his love for God. Still, I think that's actually pretty cool, and worth at least a box of chocolates.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Panteleeva said:

Valentine s day make me feel good,i love atmosphere in this day in sl and in rl.but in the same time many memories comes in my head like one of my exes will have happy date with his gf and another one will celebrate it with his wife. And i will celebrate it with my lonely heart and sl

Snapshot_004.png

Or . . . and this is obviously your choice! . . . don't "celebrate" it at all.

Do something else for you. Go somewhere fun, get together with friends, watch a great movie? Screw V-Day: make this "Panteleeva Day" instead!

We don't need to allow ourselves to be victimized by the marketing machine or social expectations, although God knows, I appreciate that can be a struggle.

(Thanks for the pic, btw!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Or . . . and this is obviously your choice! . . . don't "celebrate" it at all.

Do something else for you. Go somewhere fun, get together with friends, watch a great movie? Screw V-Day: make this "Panteleeva Day" instead!

We don't need to allow ourselves to be victimized by the marketing machine or social expectations, although God knows, I appreciate that can be a struggle.

(Thanks for the pic, btw!)

I fight with myself about it my whole life. Like in school years the whole school was full of valentine cards,baloons and decorated like concert hall and there was lots of couples from 5 th grade to 11 ,all of them hug-kiss and all that,loud music ,everyone is happy.(the big plus of it was just 2-3 classes and thats it). I walked on that floor with roses,saw all these happy faces and it broke me every year,till i was able to escape from that when i was in 9th grade . it s the thing which i "planted" the thought that if i don  t have anybody,that means no one needs me and other a bit depressive things  .  Like ny Boss -friend says "uck it, let them live thair lives and you live your own life". 

sorry for the mess in my message 

and thank you so much for your support, it s very important for me  💗

Edited by Panteleeva
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Not only married, but subservient. Basically, her exercise of "free will" came down to a question of whether she chose to obey or not -- with nasty consequences for making the "wrong" choice. As you say, not really much of a "choice," was it?

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Poor young Adam didn't, as you say, have much of a choice either. Pretty much no one did in those "good old days."

I'll say this for Adam, at least in Milton's version of the story as he tells it in Paradise Lost: when faced with the fact of Eve's "sin," he chooses to join with her in that choice, knowing that he is doing "wrong," out of his love for Eve.

As Milton tells it, that's also a sin, because he's putting his love of Eve before his love for God. Still, I think that's actually pretty cool, and worth at least a box of chocolates.

Well. . it's all God's fault really. He stole a rib from Adam and gained Eve out of it. You know what is said about  gotten gains ... :|

Edited by TDD123
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Panteleeva said:

I fight with myself about it my whole life. Like in school years the whole school was full of valentine cards,baloons and decorated like concert hall and there was lots of couples from 5 th grade to 11 ,all of them hug-kiss and all that,loud music ,everyone is happy.(the big plus of it was just 2-3 classes and thats it). I walked on that floor with roses,saw all these happy faces and it broke me every year,till i was able to escape from that when i was in 9th grade . it s the thing which i "planted" the thought that if i don  t have anybody,that means no one needs me and other a bit depressive things  .  Like ny Boss -friend says "uck it, let them live thair lives and you live your own life". 

sorry for the mess in my message 

and thank you so much for your support, it s very important for me  💗

For what it's worth -- and I don't know that it really helps, but -- I think a lot of people go through experiences like this (and, in a different way, I'm sure boys and young men do too). The years when one is just entering puberty can be especially brutal. I know they were for me.

And there ARE absolutely people who need you. WE need you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

Well. . it's all God's fault really. He stole a rib from Adam and gained Eve out of it.

And god doesn't exist, so it's really all a rather moot point. St. Valentine existed, but he wasn't actually a saint, because those don't exist, either. Neither do cherubic angel babies shooting arrows. It's all a lie conceived by a bunch of monks way back when in order to sell chocolate at various times during the year. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

And god doesn't exist, so it's really all a rather moot point. St. Valentine existed, but he wasn't actually a saint, because those don't exist, either. Neither do cherubic angel babies shooting arrows. It's all a lie conceived by a bunch of monks way back when in order to sell chocolate at various times during the year. 

CHOCOLATE!!!

In that case!!

Happy Almost Valentines Day,Day.

hehehehe

46161845565_0f060212c2_b.jpg

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1531 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.