The Anti-Valentine's Day Thread

Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

We do -- or did, anyway -- have Sweethearts in Canada, but we also have these. They're British, I think -- and probably my favourite cheap candy. Do you have them in the States?

Of course we don't. We don't get to have any of the good candy because America sucks and we can't have anything nice. 

I, however, did receive a giant package of decadent, delicious, insanely amazing dark chocolate from England a few days ago from a special person so I'm good, but I won't gush about receiving it since this is the anti-Valentine's Day thread. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

We do -- or did, anyway -- have Sweethearts in Canada, but we also have these. They're British, I think -- and probably my favourite cheap candy. Do you have them in the States?

love-hearts-candy-old-fashioned-candies.

I haven't seen those in my part of the States, at least not at the stores that I frequent. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I love Valentine's Day!

There's no better reward for eschewing romanticism and tradition than scoring candy the day after for cents on the dollar.

Oh my gosh, where I am from it's on sale a month in advance and every year at my corner store where I live now it's buy one, get one free 'before' Valentine's Day for about two weeks.  

I have eaten mine already (I bought it myself since I am single).

But to Scylla:

I used to be a bit cynical about the commercialization of it all too...there is a "pressure" there to do something I was never sure quite what to do...so I just did my best but still had a doubt if it was 'enough'.  

Now, I just take it casually as a feast day and enjoy even treating myself to some treats as I do with most feast days...I often buy my own if I cannot be with family or friends.  

I think several of us single friends will have a nice dinner together though.  Heck, why not...we don't get to do that everyday nor very often.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

I used to be a bit cynical about the commercialization of it all too...there is a "pressure" there to do something I was never sure quite what to do...so I just did my best but still had a doubt if it was 'enough'.  

Now, I just take it casually as a feast day and enjoy even treating myself to some treats as I do with most feast days...I often buy my own if I cannot be with family or friends.  

I think several of us single friends will have a nice dinner together though.  Heck, why not...we don't get to do that everyday nor very often.

This sounds pretty much perfect to me. 🙂

• Like 1

Actually, all of this talk about anti-romantic poetry . . . it has suddenly occurred to me that I've actually written and posted an "anti-Valentine's Day" poem, with accompany photo, on another subforum here, although it wasn't intended as such, per se.

It ain't Larkin or Heaney or Plath (more like Volgon poetry, really), and it's super self-indulgent of me to repost here, but what the hell. (With apologies to those of you who've seen and read it before).

Bath-Master-2-(Robed)-Blank.thumb.png.a4736692b20ff131d16dc22ce63eeb3f.png

Washing Away Roses

The flowers were sweet and pink; so thoughtful
(My green robe ripples silent to the floor)
Of you to bring them. I rushed the bouquet
(And settles there beside the roses)
After you left to the kitchen, to place
(The hot water kisses my toes, my foot)
Them in fresh water: they deserved that at least
(I lower myself with a gentle splash)
Just for seeming so beautiful. But now
(And slide down the smooth white back of the tub)
Alas! They are wilting, dying, sad blooms!
(Sighing as the water blankets tummy)
This, though, will console; I kept the roses
(Arms legs breasts shoulders, laps against my chin)
Longer than I kept you; they smelt so nice.
(Splash)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

Of course we don't. We don't get to have any of the good candy because America sucks and we can't have anything nice. 

I, however, did receive a giant package of decadent, delicious, insanely amazing dark chocolate from England a few days ago from a special person so I'm good, but I won't gush about receiving it since this is the anti-Valentine's Day thread. 

<insert appropriate b word here>

...flounces off in a huff

...has a second thought

...flounces back and yells, "So there!"

...flounces off again in a huff with a hair flip

tumblr_nelghqQmqY1qdjpm4o5_250.gif.c9ebc66dea49e895a2e994bad6c630d0.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Actually, all of this talk about anti-romantic poetry . . . it has suddenly occurred to me that I've actually written and posted an "anti-Valentine's Day" poem, with accompany photo, on another subforum here, although it wasn't intended as such, per se.

It ain't Larkin or Heaney or Plath (more like Volgon poetry, really), and it's super self-indulgent of me to repost here, but what the hell. (With apologies to those of you who've seen and read it before).

Bath-Master-2-(Robed)-Blank.thumb.png.a4736692b20ff131d16dc22ce63eeb3f.png

Washing Away Roses

(Splash)

You know, speaking of all of this Anti-Valentine's Day stuff I love what Sega does with it when they have a certain event roll around: "Make War, Not Love".

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Valentine's Day: Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

I was actually so delighted when these "anti-Valentine's Day" tees appeared on sale a week or so ago, almost buried amidst the mostly unbelievably tacky dross of V-day merchandise that is clogging up in-world stores at the moment, that I literally let out an audible "WOOT!"

As for point of the pic -- yeah, I'm not just "single," by virtue of "not having someone." I'm defiantly, proudly, militantly single!

You sound like me in RL. I have been single for 8 years now and I couldn’t be happier. I can do what I want, when I want, sleep as much or as little as I want. My life is my own to do with as I see fit.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

You sound like me in RL. I have been single for 8 years now and I couldn’t be happier. I can do what I want, when I want, sleep as much or as little as I want. My life is my own to do with as I see fit.

Right?

I mean, it certainly is cheaper and drama-free, less of that highschool gossip ***** going around etc etc. "See him sleeping with her? Oh my god... we'll use it as ammo, grand indeed..."

Edited by Simo Vodopan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Washing Away Roses

(Splash)

This is beautiful...sensual, innovative structure, juxtaposition of the two types of water, oh I could bang on for ages. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

This is beautiful...sensual, innovative structure, juxtaposition of the two types of water, oh I could bang on for ages. 

You are, literally and literarily, waaaay too kind. It's fun, though, I think!

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3

Just now, Gregorian Chant said:

Q: What's the difference between me and a calendar?

A: A calendar has dates.

8c547c69456aad1830967fef397615ad.png

Just like Christmas where everyone pretends to be cheery and all of that with each other! They couldn't come visit your home on any of the other days they're off in the year.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

ten for me!  and so much happier since i got rid of that ol' ball and chain.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Yes it is.  But I think that the only lasting things we leave behind us are other people's memories of us, and our children.  You may come to the end of your perfect life and deeply regret leaving neither.

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

01.gif.f56bfda3b6bfc7cb8cd85f7c1ce29fc2.gif

This reminds me. I got a letter in the mail last week, from a local real-estate agent. He wants me to know there are people looking for houses in my neighborhood and that now would be a good time to sell mine. Here's his business card...

916981704_FlamingOvariescopy.jpg.3404e7629dcce799a0adc34b7c6c3fb3.jpg

Imagine my dismay over his being a real-estate agent and not the proprietor of a new restaurant specializing in flame grilled ovaries.

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Yes it is.  But I think that the only lasting things we leave behind us are other people's memories of us, and our children.  You may come to the end of your perfect life and deeply regret leaving neither.

^^^This sounds very judgemental to me. Being single doesn't mean one doesn't have children... or deep abiding friendships. Freedom from a painful relationship is something to be cherished, not denigrated. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I lost my father February 14, 2014. grouphug.gif.df51084ceb432da8f508d59a23c3bfc6.gif

I'm sorry to hear that. I know I've never quite been the same since mine passed in 2010. We go on, but it's never quite the same because a huge part of us is missing. Memories are precious. They help keep the person we lost close and alive in our hearts. I'll light a candle for your dad too on the 14th. 💕

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This reminds me. I got a letter in the mail last week, from a local real-estate agent. He wants me to know there are people looking for houses in my neighborhood and that now would be a good time to sell mine. Here's his business card...

Imagine my dismay over his being a real-estate agent and not the proprietor of a new restaurant specializing in flame grilled ovaries.

That is a terrible business card for anyone who isn't in the business of setting people on fire!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.