The Anti-Valentine's Day Thread

Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

the whole school time i never recieved valetine card which is not a joke or try to hurt me, college time is the same . 2 years ago in Valentine s day i met ex bf at grocery store ,sho remined me that he found another girl very fast and taken and happy for a long time .   Later  i fotenly looked at ex college classmates and see how happy &married with kids they are and i m still in my empty space watching 50 shades of grey which make me feel better for 3 hours. I remember i was at all 3 movies in cinema and saw many lonely girls who watched movie in total silence (only 1 st movie was fail because  i had 3 women sits near me and commenting anything they cak, especially Dakota J boobs). eh😓

11 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I say...send a card to those people in your life you love, especially if you know they are the sort to expect it, or need it.

I wasn't going to go there, as it seemed a little against the spirit, but yeah, I agree. I don't feel massively strongly about V Day one way or the other, but if you have a loved one and it makes them happy if you buy them a card, it does seem a bit churlish not to. 

Obviously if we're getting into demands for yachts and dinner at the Ivy, then the answer is to TAKE ME.

• Like 2

The only thing about Valentine's Day that I remember from school, is that in kindergarten after we decorated paper bags as 'mailboxes' for valentines cards - and before we passed them out - I got sent home from school with the mumps.  I do think that my teacher came by our house after school and drop off the cards I had received.

In the elementary schools that I went to, most everyone brought little cards for everyone in the class.  Usually they were put in decorated paper bags or shoe boxes, and generally all were being passed out at the same time, so if there were a class mate or two who weren't able to bring any, it most likely would have gone unnoticed by the other kids.

When my granddaughter was in kindergarten and still living with us, we made valentines for her classmates from doilies and red and pink construction paper hearts.  I think I did the cutting out and the "Happy Valentine's Day" writing, she did the gluing and writing her name on them.

1 minute ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Did I tell you I found John Nobhead's wife on Mumsnet?

I saw it. Still not sure how you came to that conclusion since Nobhead was a good bit older than 48 in 2014. He's 88 this year so he must have aged 40 years in about 5 years.

Of course I could be reading that whole page wrong. One of the oddest configurations for a forum/bboard/blog I've ever seen so it is possible I missed something.

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I saw it. Still not sure how you came to that conclusion since Nobhead was a good bit older than 48 in 2014.

They often change small irrelevant details on there to prevent "outing" themselves. If I were married to Nobhead, I'd definitely want to hide it. It's got to be him.

(It's a terrible format, that website, but I don't think they can change it now without breaking the metric cluckton of content it now contains.)

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

he must have aged 40 years in about 5 years.

I hope so, he deserves it.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Ah but sometimes it's good to sweat the small stuff and to forget about the horrors and atrocities going on.

Maybe.

But, I'm single for six years and I buy my own Valentine's candy.  It's on sale every year so I buy some.  I will buy my own Easter candy, Halloween candy, etc...it's always buy one, get one free.

Plus, I think it can be about friendship too.  The "love" part of Valentine's Day was added later and not what the original meaning of it actually was.  It's commercialized.  

The Valentine's when we were little...well, I got my fair share and I shared too but there was some nervousness there...so I understand if anyone was hurt and/or left out.  That's sucks!

But, I'm single and don't feel left out at my age now.  I just buy my own Valentine's candy.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My favorite Valentine's candy is the Necco Sweethearts conversation hearts that came in the little boxes.  I'm sad because I haven't been able to find them the past several  years, and this year it's even been difficult to find the Brach's brand of the little hearts (which were never quite as good as the Necco ones).  

These boxes of candy, I think, are the only thing that my husband has ever bought for me for Valentine's, though not on the day as much as randomly through out the first part of February,

• Like 3

I'm a huge romantic at heart. I'm mushy, affectionate and super cheesy. My hubby could vouch for all this with nodding and lots of eye rolls. Also, my relationship is very happy and loving. I'm very blessed.

All that being said, I don't ever need a date to remind me that I love the person I'm with and I certainly never need a gift from my hubby to know he loves me without question. 

It is a rather painful day for me although it holds so many sweet memories. My dad always got me the sweetest cards on Valentine's Day when I was a little girl. I would make one for him too! It was only him and me so it was a Dad/Daughter thing. Never a romantic thing. I just light a candle for my Dad on the fourteenth now to remember him. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

I don't think most people even know what it's about...it's lost it's original meaning.  But, Saint Valentine is a Catholic saint and the stories "vary" upon search.

To me, it's kind of like Halloween which was originally All Hallow's Eve and Easter and even Christmas have lost a lot of their meaning and are more secular and sweets orientated and/or feast orientated.  

But, I like occasional sweets and feasts and am glad we have them.

There are worst things to worry about in this world everyone...don't sweat the small stuff.  

Okay, just read the Wikipedia on Valentine's Day.  It was originally a "christian" feast day until the 14th Century when it became more about couples.

It is one of the "feast" days and that's how I view most of our "feast" days as something for everyone.  I may be Christian but I am not religious nor do I affiliate with any particular denomination...my family has all kinds of denominations as well as non-denomination Christians or other.  

Maybe you can just look at it somewhat like I do...it's a feast day.  Nom nom nom.  I am grateful for those...they are fun to get together a few times a year and have a feast even if you are by yourself...you can still have a little treat. 

I celebrate in my own way, but I like the feast part of it and can afford to buy my own.  I always bought some of my own Valentine candy and shared with my step-daughter.  My hubby would buy me a box on Valentine's of chocolates and give his daughter a chocolate heart too.  Mostly hubby and I went out for a dinner for two near or around Valentine's because a lot of restaurants are too booked on Valentine's Day.  And, if we are home on Valentine's Day...I cooked a bit of a feast for us.  

And, the "feast days" are for everyone.  It was later changed about one thousand years later to be more about "couples".  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

They often change small irrelevant details on there to prevent "outing" themselves. If I were married to Nobhead, I'd definitely want to hide it. It's got to be him.

(It's a terrible format, that website, but I don't think they can change it now without breaking the metric cluckton of content it now contains.)

I hope so, he deserves it.

I've always wondered, since she has been married to him for so long, if it wasn't an arranged type of marriage. Not necessarily a traditional arrangement, but, an arrangement nonetheless. 

barf.gif.41e076b11ff3c3d2c9132c3244cb3655.gif

• Like 1

I know lots of people say that they don't need V Day to demonstrate their love because they do that every day, and I'm sure that they do. But given these holidays all have a religious root to them, I wonder if, as V Day evolved, it was intended to be a reminder of the importance of not taking your loved ones for granted and being sure to show your appreciation. Sure, there are many people who don't need that reminder, but there are a lot who do.

And obviously buying some tat once a year won't cut it if you're a terrible partner, or it's a terrible relationship, for the rest of the year. But maybe the day was intended at one point to try to bring people's attention to the importance of taking some time to appreciate your loved ones. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, LyricalBookworm said:

I'm a huge romantic at heart. I'm mushy, affectionate and super cheesy. My hubby could vouch for all this with nodding and lots of eye rolls. Also, my relationship is very happy and loving. I'm very blessed.

All that being said, I don't ever need a date to remind me that I love the person I'm with and I certainly never need a gift from my hubby to know he loves me without question. 

It is a rather painful day for me although it holds so many sweet memories. My dad always got me the sweetest cards on Valentine's Day when I was a little girl. I would make one for him too! It was only him and me so it was a Dad/Daughter thing. Never a romantic thing. I just light a candle for my Dad on the fourteenth now to remember him. 

I lost my father February 14, 2014. grouphug.gif.df51084ceb432da8f508d59a23c3bfc6.gif

• Sad 6

3 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I know lots of people say that they don't need V Day to demonstrate their love because they do that every day, and I'm sure that they do. But given these holidays all have a religious root to them, I wonder if, as V Day evolved, it was intended to be a reminder of the importance of not taking your loved ones for granted and being sure to show your appreciation. Sure, there are many people who don't need that reminder, but there are a lot who do.

And obviously buying some tat once a year won't cut it if you're a terrible partner, or it's a terrible relationship, for the rest of the year. But maybe the day was intended at one point to try to bring people's attention to the importance of taking some time to appreciate your loved ones. 

That is the original idea behind the holiday. A reminder of the importance of not taking your loved ones for granted (you may lose them one day) and to set aside a specific day to remind people to say the words before it's too late and the words can never be heard. Humans need to hear it, not just see the results that aren't always obvious.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

My favorite Valentine's candy is the Necco Sweethearts conversation hearts that came in the little boxes.  I'm sad because I haven't been able to find them the past several  years, and this year it's even been difficult to find the Brach's brand of the little hearts (which were never quite as good as the Necco ones).  

These boxes of candy, I think, are the only thing that my husband has ever bought for me for Valentine's, though not on the day as much as randomly through out the first part of February,

I found out that Amazon sells candy one day...so I thought to look...well, I didn't quite come up with Necco Sweathearts....so I went to Ebay whose search engine is much easier and found Necco Sweathearts on Ebay.  The cheapest looks like $8.99 with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_nkw=necco+sweethearts&_sop=15

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I've always wondered, since she has been married to him for so long, if it wasn't an arranged type of marriage. Not necessarily a traditional arrangement, but, an arrangement nonetheless. 

barf.gif.41e076b11ff3c3d2c9132c3244cb3655.gif

God knows. I would say he's of his time, but he's actually of about 700 years earlier, absolutely Neanderthal. He certainly likes to champion and romanticise abusive relationships, and we all know how often women leave those. He's pulled an absolute blinder, though, because these numpties can't get enough of him. Are the kajagoogoos aware of his penchant for manure sacks and head shaving? I think the trick he hit on was giving them sparkly, sexy costumes (although actually they're not even supposed to wear those very often...oh, what's the point). It would appear that if you allow that, some people really will swallow absolutely f***ing anything.

It is so him. He doesn't understand how gravity works, how human shields work, how saturated markets work... Isn't he just the kind of tw*tbadger who would eat a fat ball and complain that it's a bit greasy? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I found out that Amazon sells candy one day...so I thought to look...well, I didn't quite come up with Necco Sweathearts....so I went to Ebay whose search engine is much easier and found Necco Sweathearts on Ebay.  The cheapest looks like $8.99 with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_nkw=necco+sweethearts&_sop=15

I'll have to let my husband know - he's on E-bay all the time.  I don't have an account there.

• Like 2

I'm sorry, @Scylla Rhiadra, you said in the OP that the thread was intended for people who don't like V Day to vent, and I've kind of gone against the spirit of it. I don't love it myself, for all the obvious reasons, but the thread just kind of got me thinking. But I should have stuck to what it was intended for.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

It would appear that if you allow that, some people really will swallow absolutely f***ing anything.

Holidays like Valentine's Day in a nutshell, I'm with the OP on it.

It just drives consumerism evermore, with the fatcats laughing at everyone for buying into the Halmark monopoly etc. Especially Christmas time. Annoying as all hell when everyone's out doing their last minute Christmas shopping and guy's like me just want a bite to eat or something, at times it's not worth getting out with the insane.

The only holidays that have any meaning to me personally are military based ones, otherwise I couldn't care a less. Waste of my time and what energy I got left to do things these days.

I'm sure some of us will agree that, for instances putting up the tree is a pain in the ass and gets old at times. It's like, we could get into the Christmas spirit even without putting up the tacky decorations and tree etc, but you know 'they'd' leave you to think otherwise just for the sake of the holy dollar and etc. But I digress.

Edited by Simo Vodopan
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.