Testing BOM body layers without reuploading

Loli Nori

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I love using Firestorm's feature of using local textures which update anytime the local file is saved, it's saved me tons of time and lindens in testing textures before uploading the final version. 

I'm hoping to do something similar with BOM body layers, but because the texture is local to my computer and doesn't exist in-world, it never actually bakes onto the body.  Also, for whatever reason, BOM body layers are distorted for me in the preview when editing a new tattoo, etc layer, but the head textures show fine for some reason so I actually am able to preview them with local textures.

Is there any way to test BOM body layers using local textures so that I can adjust things without reuploading and updating the tattoo layer 1000x?

Edited by Loli Nori
  • Like 1

If you login to the Beta/Preview grid, everything is free to upload, textures, mesh, animations, etc. (It actually uses L$'s, but LL gives you a bunch extra on the Preview grid and it doesn't affect your real L$s.) It's where I do almost all of my testing.
Here is a link to the SL page about it:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Preview_Grid

~Sean Heavy

• Like 1

Another way it to just grab the local texture's UUID and plug that into an applier and do your major tweaks and edits as a standard applier level creation.  That gives you the ability to see the changes in real time coming out of your preferred texture editor.  Then, after you are mostly satisfied with it, upload it to use as BoM.  From there it'll either be what you want or you'll need only very minor tweaks.  Coupling this with the preview grid Sean pointed you, will make the costs minimal and the process flow a bit smoother and less frustrating.

It's works for me at least. :)

• Like 2

On 2/14/2020 at 5:37 PM, Anna Salyx said:

Another way it to just grab the local texture's UUID and plug that into an applier and do your major tweaks and edits as a standard applier level creation.  That gives you the ability to see the changes in real time coming out of your preferred texture editor.  Then, after you are mostly satisfied with it, upload it to use as BoM.  From there it'll either be what you want or you'll need only very minor tweaks.  Coupling this with the preview grid Sean pointed you, will make the costs minimal and the process flow a bit smoother and less frustrating.

It's works for me at least. :)

Just a word to the wise (I wasn't and wasted an hour), the texture must be exported from your chosen local image editor (I use GIMP) in a format that supports the alpha channel (png for me).

Thanks for the tips on how to do this everyone.   Avatar Complexity with Audohide: 50,081, and with an Alpha: 49257,  every little helps...

Edited by anna2358
added stats.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

100L? What a rip-off, lol. It's practically one line of code. I'll make a fullperm copy and put it on my own MP.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Rolig_Loon/Local_Textures

She beat you! (2013)

Seriously.  Rez a cube prim on the ground, the top face is Face 0.   Edit the prim, go to contents add the script below, set Select Face, go to textures, add your local texture to the top face.  Touch the prim.  The UUID of the texture is in chat.

touch_start(integer num)
   {
       llOwnerSay("Face 0 is UUID:"+llGetTexture(0));
   }

HTH.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.