SL Viewer Disconnection Issue with New FTTH Router - Help

WishMore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I can't seem to resolve disconnection issue over new FTTH connection, before I had ADSL for years, it use to work fine. But after upgrading to FTTH my viewer disconnects every one minute after login, everything loads fine at login, runs smooth, but viewer disconnects after one minute, screen grays out with message, region maybe facing issues, check your internet connection. I have tried bandwidth help tips page on Firestorm website, its not helping, 1500 is not working, nor 500 or anything less or above that. Also, I have tried all viewers, but same issue. My laptop is wirelessly connected to New FTTH home router, speedtest says my connection speed to Tucson, AZ is on average 5mpbs, Please Tell me what should I do, I can't even stay logged in to write my question in any inworld help groups . Also everything else on net works fine .....other apps etc. I think it might be new FTTH router, I have called my ISP, and they say everything is fine on their end. Following is details of my new FTTH router. Please suggest any router or viewer settings that I can do to resolve this issue.   

Device Name G-240W-F
Vendor Nokia
Hardware Version 3FE46597AAAA
Boot Version U-Boot Dec-31-2016--12:00:00
Software Version 3FE46606AFHA97
Chipset MTK7526G
Lot Number Jun 04 2019

2 minutes ago, WishMore said:

My laptop is wirelessly connected to New FTTH home router

Just for diagnostic purposes, is it at all practical to connect to the router over wired Ethernet? The objective would be to see if the problem could be wifi configuration rather than the WAN side of the router.

• Like 1

I agree with Qie. That is the first thing "tech support" would ask you to do. The only other thing I could add is that long ago (like ten years or more) I had an issue an it turned out (after a year of problems) to be that I needed to update the firmware on the modem.   If you don't have a cable to connect directly then getting one would be step one in my book. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

is it at all practical to connect to the router over wired Ethernet?

I am now using Ethernet cable to connect with FTTH router and now SL is working fine, no disconnection, no crashes, but this can't be permanent solution for me. I do need wireless connectivity. Please advice further how to make it work wireless also. I can attach snapshots of router settings pages if required

Additionally I have tried connecting wirelessly while sitting just close to FTTH router, same issue happens, SL disconnects after one minute into login, I have also checked my wifi in NOT set as metered in windows or in Router settings. I have tried changing bandwidth between 20,40 20/40 Mhz in the router wifi settings page, it has no effect and issue persists. Also I have checked it seems fireware of router can't be updated, as these routers are directly sold to ISP and they further install them to customers. SL only works when laptop is connected to router via Ethernet cable, and that's not a solution for me ..... waiting for further advice. Help please .... 

FTTH router wireless settings.png

4 hours ago, WishMore said:

I am now using Ethernet cable to connect with FTTH router and now SL is working fine, no disconnection, no crashes, but this can't be permanent solution for me. I do need wireless connectivity. Please advice further how to make it work wireless also. I can attach snapshots of router settings pages if required

OK, a wired connection works, but a wireless connection does not. That means it's not SL, either the viewer or the servers. It's the WiFi system. That router is known to have a firewall.

See

• Open outbound access for TCP ports - Second Life servers do not establish inbound TCP connections to client systems running the Second Life Viewer software. Instead, they use the "request / response" message pattern. Enable outbound TCP access for ports 53, 80, 443, 12043, 12046 and 21002.
  • Open outbound "session" access for UDP ports- Although UDP is a session-less transport, many firewalls block unsolicited incoming UDP traffic to a particular port unless it has seen recent outgoing UDP traffic from that same port. Activate outbound UDP for ports 53, 3478, 3479, 5060, 5062, and 12000-29999.

Some routers assume that all you will ever do is surf the web, which requires only TCP port 80.

26 minutes ago, animats said:

That router is known to have a firewall.

I believe my PC's firewall is not the problem as SL use to work fine with old router and on new router's firewall settings that's all I see (image attached), I don't see how I can add or remove any applications there? Plus I am not a techy person I don't really understand what that post says that you have refereed. 

security access control FTTH router settings.png

firewall settings FTTH router.png

Not that I'm anything like an expert, but I sloped around the web looking at user documentation for this modem, and didn't find much; the wifi settings look pretty much the same as what I have in my own (completely different) modem router. The only one that seems a little strange is the "10" for "MAX Users" and "Total MAX Users" -- I don't even know what corresponds to a "user" here, but I saw somebody had 32 in those fields so maybe just try that as a shot in the dark.

Maybe @animats can explain the firewall theory. I'd have expected a router firewall to apply to both wired and wireless LAN connections, but we know the wired connection is working, so I was thinking it had to be something in the wifi configuration specifically. On the other hand, I guess we're looking for something that times-out after a minute, which could be the viewer starved for some keep-alive message from the server -- or possibly the server starved of something from the viewer -- either way the kind of thing a firewall might well filter out (but why only for wifi?).

It's possible something in the console log could be useful to somebody to see if there's any more detail behind the disconnection message. (It wouldn't be useful to me, unfortunately, but maybe somebody.)

There's also the possibility of asking for Lab support here, but because the problem started with the new network connection it seems like support should be on the network provider. Of course I'm sure the new net works just dandy for everything but SL.

22 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

t's possible something in the console log could be useful to somebody to see if there's any more detail behind the disconnection message

How do I get that log?

23 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

There's also the possibility of asking for Lab support here, but because the problem started with the new network connection it seems like support should be on the network provider.

I checked ISP won't help if problem is just with one application and everything else works fine. 

24 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Of course I'm sure the new net works just dandy for everything but SL.

yes it does, and its very frustrating. 

28 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

The only one that seems a little strange is the "10" for "MAX Users" and "Total MAX Users" -- I don't even know what corresponds to a "user" here

I think its total no of devices that can connect to this network. I have lowered it down to 10 to lower the traffic.

It might be something about how that router handles the wireless part - or other things in your environment that may be affecting this particular wireless capabilities.  I used to have a network service where my VPN/Remote desktop connection was often dropping / reconnecting, often ending with a complete disconnect.  Wired, the connection worked fine.  After a change of provider and different router / modem I no longer had that issue with the wireless connection to the VPN/Remote Desktop connection.

Wireless isn't recommended for SL, and I would imagine this is because SL needs a very stable connection and not all wireless providers/equipment appear to offer a stable enough connection.

1 minute ago, moirakathleen said:

Wireless isn't recommended for SL, and I would imagine this is because SL needs a very stable connection and not all wireless providers/equipment appear to offer a stable enough connection.

For me same ISP have been working fine for years with ADSL connection and on wireless connection with it. This problem only started just now with installation of new FTTH router. As I believe its a new router, much updated version from old ADSL one, So one can expect it would handle SL wirelessly with no problem. But it seems that's not that case :(, unless there is something wrong that I am doing. Still looking for help if any one can, will be really appreciated.

3 hours ago, animats said:

OK, a wired connection works, but a wireless connection does not. That means it's not SL, either the viewer or the servers. It's the WiFi system. That router is known to have a firewall.

I am leaning towards opinion that it might not be firewall issue, else it won't also work with Ethernet wire, it has to do with wireless connection. I am just in other room from router. And even if I try to connect wirelessly and run SL while sitting very close to FTTH router itself, the problem persists. SL logs in just fine, everything loads just fine, I can teleport around just fine. but that only lasts for one minute or less, after that SL screen grays out.....but that does not means that my wireless connection dips or disconnects in that moment. its stable otherwise for all other applications. packet loss is 0%

28 minutes ago, WishMore said:

How do I get that log?

So for me, running Firestorm on Windows 10, it's in my directory AppData\Roaming\Firestorm_x64\logs\Firestorm.log -- but don't post the contents here. For one thing, it'll be pretty huge, but also it has some information inside that you may not want public. If I were you, I'd start at the bottom and search backwards for errors and warnings that seem close to the point where it disconnects. You may find the disconnection message that you see in the window appearing in the log file. Maybe there's a clue around there somewhere.

The other evil thought I've had is to plug in an old wifi router to the new router's ethernet port, then connect the laptop's wifi to that. This is a hideous kludge, even if you have an old spare router lying around. (This is kinda how whole-home mesh wifi networks get started. You don't need one of those, but I bet it would get you connected.)

11 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

The other evil thought I've had is to plug in an old wifi router to the new router's ethernet port, then connect the laptop's wifi to that.

I don't have one spare router to test that. Also that's not really a "practical" solution for me. I am still looking for solution to fix this "brand new" ONT router's wifi. Meanwhile if any of you can add more to solve this issue, then please comment.    

giphy.gif

I hope somebody can help, but the forum is mostly just us residents. You can contact Support, but you'll need to be using the Linden viewer to get help from the Lab.

If you're up for trying something desperate (but easy), and if your laptop uses Intel embedded graphics, maybe try the EEP Release Candidate viewer. That's a real longshot; the bug fixed in that viewer is also fixed in recent Firestorm releases, so it's pretty unlikely to be anything you're experiencing. The only reason I'd ever try it is because it follows from a jira entitled "Crashing after every 1-2 mins.( TRIED EVERYTHING ON SEARCH)" that has to do with wifi and points to another jira about a conflict between SL over wifi and a particular Intel graphics driver bug on Windows 10.

Come to think of it, I've been assuming you're on Win10. It wouldn't hurt to copy the Help / About... configuration text in case anything there rings a bell. Support will probably want to see it, too.

I think you should start a Support case if you haven't already. And report back what you find out. I don't see that we're making much progress in the Forums -- very sorry to say -- and you shouldn't have to go through more frustration.

At one point, Support might have said that SL just doesn't run well over wifi, but I can't imagine they'd say that now (and of course we know it was working for you over wifi until this new router). They might also say that it's your ISP's problem -- which it kinda is, but they won't help because everything else is working, just not SL -- so maybe Linden Support can help you get the specific data the ISP would need to find their problem.

might be best to start looking at the router log files

in the manual, Procedure 47, page 141, it says that this can be done on the Maintenance page of the router web console. Seems there are a number of settings for how much info can be written to the log file

am not sure if this is the exact problem, but it could be that SL over WIFI is overloading the router leading to the SL viewer closing due to timeout. The log files may help to identify this if it is the case

First of All, Thank you Qie and Molly for following this thread and helpful tips.

15 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I think you should start a Support case if you haven't already.

I have already filed jira with firestorm, I have provided them router configuration page snap shots, my laptop specs and crash logs,as stated by them. Matter is still unassigned, So, lets see.

15 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

maybe Linden Support can help you get the specific data the ISP would need to find their problem.

I tried filing report with Linden also, but I couldn't find right options to do so in their drop down menus. For technical problems they only show inventory as further option. But its okay, as problem is not with them anyway, its the router.

15 hours ago, Mollymews said:

in the manual, Procedure 47, page 141, it says that this can be done on the Maintenance page of the router web console. Seems there are a number of settings for how much info can be written to the log file

I tried to read through those logs, they didn't made any sense to me. Also, they don't mention application names in them, so you can't tell whats what.

I am attaching firestorm crash log, if it can make any sense to anybody? 

firestorm crash log.png

Edited by WishMore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.