querying performance differences on multiple accounts

PruKellar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i have a general query about performance, i have on my main account inventory count of around 105k, on second account, its about 12k

both use same settings, but my main account is slower over all, im wondering if this has something to do with inventory? i do use lots of subfolders on main

main, slow log in and log out - alt- fast log in and out, less lag, faster rezzing, higher fps.... so in general what would make one account perform better than the other??

the only differences is inven size...

curious to hear what thoughts are

Inventory size will affect login speed and teleport speed. I noticed this whilst logging in to Black Dragon, which has more detailed descriptions of what it's actually doing during the login process. Part of that includes "Loading Inventory Skeleton" (that's your structure of folders and subfolders) followed by "Fetching inventory" (or words to that effect). So naturally, a larger inventory is going to take longer to populate. It has to do the same thing when you teleport too.

However, inventory size wouldn't affect your fps, or rezzing of a scene, or anything else visual. There must be another difference you've not spotted yet.

What are your two avatars wearing? Are they both wearing the exact same mesh body and head, hair and all other attachments? Do they have the same huds attached? Are they located in the same place, facing in the same direction? Are they alone or are there other avatars present nearby? Do you have any other programs running on your computer that you didn't have before? Is your internet speed fluctuating? 

5 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Inventory size will affect login speed and teleport speed. I noticed this whilst logging in to Black Dragon, which has more detailed descriptions of what it's actually doing during the login process. Part of that includes "Loading Inventory Skeleton" (that's your structure of folders and subfolders) followed by "Fetching inventory" (or words to that effect). So naturally, a larger inventory is going to take longer to populate. It has to do the same thing when you teleport too.

However, inventory size wouldn't affect your fps, or rezzing of a scene, or anything else visual. There must be another difference you've not spotted yet.

What are your two avatars wearing? Are they both wearing the exact same mesh body and head, hair and all other attachments? Do they have the same huds attached? Are they located in the same place, facing in the same direction? Are they alone or are there other avatars present nearby? Do you have any other programs running on your computer that you didn't have before? Is your internet speed fluctuating? 

thats interesting, yes i was aware the inven size would make a diff to log in, i have female with maitreya and catwa, and male with gianni and catwa... both have just static AO hud, so nothing really too different there

internet speed is great , Fibred 200mbps so thats never an issue

all other firestorm settings in both accounts are the same, even in an empty area it still perfoms slightly better... maybe Im just clogged up somewhere on my main.

i have tried a few things you said, I've just been trying to figure out what is making the difference, someone once mentioned something corrupt in my inven but i wouldnt have any idea how to find such things lol

6 hours ago, PruKellar said:

thats interesting, yes i was aware the inven size would make a diff to log in, i have female with maitreya and catwa, and male with gianni and catwa... both have just static AO hud, so nothing really too different there

Is your female the slower one?  Women are higher maintenance of course :)

I have noticed a Maitreya mesh body and Bento head always are more laggy than a non-mesh avatar, nothing surprising there.  Maybe your Signature body is less of a load than the Maitreya. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PruKellar said:

i have female with maitreya and catwa, and male with gianni and catwa... both have just static AO hud, so nothing really too different there

1 hour ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Is your female the slower one?

Wait. Are you comparing two different accounts that use two different mesh avatars? I'd assumed both accounts each had both avatars -- which would be expensive, for sure, but at least it would make sense to compare them.

Really, to get a valid comparison of the accounts, you'd want to try without the mesh avatars altogether and see how they perform with simple system avatars, no attachments at all.

I'm generally skeptical of inventory differences having any effect on performance other than login and opening Inventory windows. I guess if the Inventory is actually corrupt, all bets would be off, but I thought under normal conditions even teleporting was supposed to be independent of inventory size now. Speaking of things that aren't supposed to matter anymore: Used to be that the number of Friends (and maybe Calling Card contacts?) could have a huge effect above some threshold (number of Groups, too, maybe?) but they fixed that, I thought, years ago; still, such differences between accounts might matter.

[ETA: Oh, also, for testing purposes you should remove (or temporarily rename) the directories where the avatar-specific logs and settings are stored, for the duration of the testing. On Windows those are in AppData\Roaming\<viewername>\<avatarname>. To be even more scientific about it, you'd do the same to the viewer cache directories in AppData\Local\<viewername> before each test run.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Is your female the slower one?  Women are higher maintenance of course :)

I have noticed a Maitreya mesh body and Bento head always are more laggy than a non-mesh avatar, nothing surprising there.  Maybe your Signature body is less of a load than the Maitreya. 

haha yes it is the slower one, maybe ill try a diff body for a while and see if its different, i always use maitreya so havent thought about that

12 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Wait. Are you comparing two different accounts that use two different mesh avatars? I'd assumed both accounts each had both avatars -- which would be expensive, for sure, but at least it would make sense to compare them.

Really, to get a valid comparison of the accounts, you'd want to try without the mesh avatars altogether and see how they perform with simple system avatars, no attachments at all.

I'm generally skeptical of inventory differences having any effect on performance other than login and opening Inventory windows. I guess if the Inventory is actually corrupt, all bets would be off, but I thought under normal conditions even teleporting was supposed to be independent of inventory size now. Speaking of things that aren't supposed to matter anymore: Used to be that the number of Friends (and maybe Calling Card contacts?) could have a huge effect above some threshold (number of Groups, too, maybe?) but they fixed that, I thought, years ago; still, such differences between accounts might matter.

[ETA: Oh, also, for testing purposes you should remove (or temporarily rename) the directories where the avatar-specific logs and settings are stored, for the duration of the testing. On Windows those are in AppData\Roaming\<viewername>\<avatarname>. To be even more scientific about it, you'd do the same to the viewer cache directories in AppData\Local\<viewername> before each test run.]

yes i am talking about 2 different accounts.

i also didnt think it was inventory until someone mentioned a while ago about how they can become corrupt, which made me think it was this...log in and out on my alt is almost instant, but main takes so long, and tp sometimes also, i have no issues on the alt, which is why i keep coming back to the inventory assumption.

i also have previously deleted duplicate calling cards and even deleted most of the others

i will try your suggestion about renaming the directories... thanks

A large, flat inventory structure causing slow logins during the "Creating inventory views" stage has already been mentioned above.
If you contact LL support, they can run an inventory script that will deflatten your inventory if needed. 
If you login with a clean cache on the affected account & the login time is much faster, then you could likely do with getting your inventory deflattened - creating inventory views is instant when inventory cache is empty.

Also a large inventory will cause slower logout times too - your inventory cache is compressed & updated during the logout process. How much this affects your logout time will depend on the size & structure of your inventory & how fast your system is - a slow hard drive will be noticeably slower when updating your inventory cache at logout.

One thing that hasn't yet been mentioned is that the larger your inventory size, the more memory is taken up by your inventory. On a system that's struggling already for RAM, using an account with a large inventory really can cause poorer performance then using an account with a small inventory.
Each inventory item (where an item is a loose asset or a folder) takes up roughly 7kb of RAM & this can mount up quickly for accounts with a large inventory.
My main account has ~150k inventory & my alts all have less then 15k inventory.  When using my main account, just after the login the viewer will already be using at least 1GB more RAM then any of my alt accounts & this is pretty much down to my mains large inventory size.

Can you post your system information from Help -> About Firestorm - click the "Copy to clipboard" button & paste your system info here.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.