Is wearing a mesh avatar more taxing on your pc?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, but  ---

If everyone else around you is wearing a mesh avatar it won't help that much.  You can turn up your "jellydoll" setting so that you don't render people fully and that will help.   You can also derender people that you don't want to see (like at shopping events). The only time the classic avatar will really help is when it is just you in the scene -- a percentage of mesh and textures that you see at one time kinda thing.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Using low graphics will probably hurt it more. It disables features that speed up SL.

Wow I didn't know that! What advanced graphics settings would be good for someone whose pc tends to overheat on Medium settings?

Chic Aeon, thank you! I was mainly concerned about just solo play, so this is good to know:)

29 minutes ago, Kaia Sachin said:

Wow I didn't know that! What advanced graphics settings would be good for someone whose pc tends to overheat on Medium settings?

Chic Aeon, thank you! I was mainly concerned about just solo play, so this is good to know:)

If your PC overheats you have other problems.

Turing off basic shaders makes your cpu handle a lot more of the graphical workload, keep basic shaders on to distribute that load better. Thats the only real major thing. Otherwise keep particles down, leave a lot of avatars as imposers by turning the non-imposer avatar slider down, avatars are what make the most performance issues in SL, yours included.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree that if you're overheating, something is wrong before you start running any programs at all. You've done all the normal maintenance things, right? cleaned out the dust, made sure all the fans are spinning (the right direction), they're appropriately sized, and all vents are open? Nothing custom-overclocked? An enclosure with reasonable volume for the components inside? Y'know, just a normal, reasonably designed and maintained PC?

One thing specific to your own mesh body: don't wear the HUD(s) except when you're actively interacting with them. They're stupidly graphics intensive, even parts that aren't currently visible on the screen. (Unfortunately, mesh heads are a little different; you may need to continue wearing one of their HUDs to keep them animating expressions, "moods", etc.)

Finally, keep the window size down to what you actually use, and the draw depth as shallow as you can tolerate. This minimizes the amount of stuff in view, which reduces rendering load regardless of how richly you render what is in view.

2 hours ago, Kaia Sachin said:

If it's overhearing I'd suggest some canned air to blow the dust out. Is this a desktop or laptop? For graphics settings I'd start by resetting to recommended settings, then turning off the advanced lighting model and reducing the draw distance in the basic graphics settings. In advanced settings turn particles down. 

Thank you for all of these helpful tips! I cleaned out the inside of my pc, have tried adjusting the settings on the SL viewer and have also tried every viewer on the third party list, altered all of the settings but my pc is still crashing when playing SL. I thought it was an overheating issue but I used Open Hardware Monitor software and the temps were fine prior to crashing. The irony is that I am able to play other games like Skyrim just fine. Not sure what it is about SL that is so taxing on my computer.

Woah. Crashing? I was thinking "can barely run SL" was a performance problem, not crashing. This is a whole different thing -- and somebody else will be better at addressing it, but you should go to Help / About and copy that text into a post; maybe that will lure an expert to give you some help relevant to your actual problem. 

Also, what kind of crashing? Does the whole machine crash? Or does SL exit to the desktop? (In the latter case it may leave behind a core file for investigation.)

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Also, what kind of crashing? Does the whole machine crash? Or does SL exit to the desktop? (In the latter case it may leave behind a core file for investigation.)

It crashes to black screen, monitor and pc both turn off. This happens on every viewer I have tried. I'm afraid to replicate the issue to copy and past the info but will do so at some point when I am not needing to use my computer. I appreciate your going out of your way to help me! 

There are lots of possibilities, but because it's Windows crashing, @agentronin makes a good point: SL probably pushes memory harder than other games. I once discovered a faulty memory stick running SL when other (non-game) apps never had problems. This was years ago, so I don't know if it's still the favored testing tool, but back then I used memtest86 to diagnose that particular problem (wikipedia). Again, though, it could be any of many things; whatever it is, it's something (hardware or software) in your system that SL is pushing unlike other applications -- and it should never cause Windows to crash.

There’s also speccy by piriform that does the same thing, pic related

F01D113D-EDE2-42A4-AB2F-56DAB5A4213F.jpeg.179c3e1fe7b79c782cf0062a8f787e91.jpeg

If the entire PC is hard crashing, like power cutoff hard crashing under load, it’s thermals or a power problem.

Download speccy and post a screenshot of your specs 

if you want, also download cpu-z and furmark. Cpu-z has a processor stressing tool to put an artificial load on the cpu. Keep an eye on the cpu temperature in the background. If it crashes during that and the temp is fine, it’s a power issue. If the temp is stupidly high, 95°c+, it’s a thermal issue.

If it’s neither try furmark, run it and monitor gpu temps. If it doesn’t instantly crash it’s not a power issue, if it hits a high temp and crashes then it’s a gpu thermal issue.

If you run out of ram you don’t crash, you hit swap, the page file. SL would start using your storage drives swap partition as ram, which is incredibly slow but it won’t cause a crash. If your ram is faulty the crashes would be random, it doesn’t fill up in any particular order, you’re not hitting a ram usage that’s affecting one certain faulty stick or something, all the sticks of memory are being used just the same.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.