Return of Last Names

S4mCr0ft

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there has been an update on the return of last names ?

The last I heard was LL were running a competition to find the 5 best suggestions. That ended on the 16th of last month.

I know someone will say ... Soon™

2 hours ago, S4mCr0ft said:

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there has been an update on the return of last names ?

The last I heard was LL were running a competition to find the 5 best suggestions. That ended on the 16th of last month.

I know someone will say ... Soon™

This weeks' Web Group meeting, the Lindens said it is now in the home-run stretch (my words)  - they are now rolling our the Simulator software that contains the name0change feature in it, so the next region updates will make the grid ready for it. This is often one of the last few steps of implementing a feature. Though they certainly will continue to test it. A lot. But it is coming and a lot sooner than later.

Edited by Alyona Su

11 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

According to this new blog post, "The ability to change names will be available in the next few weeks, too. 

first see.. than believe .. not on the names but promesses as in that article are too general to take serious from LL, we got disapointed too often.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/9/2020 at 11:27 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Now<----Kaplan Very Soon----Soonerino----Very Soon----Soon----Very Soon-ish----Soon-ish----Soonish...er---->End of Time

...later this year... but again the question is which year?! lol 

I'd say that soon is more close to the standard '...later this year...' 

So, I'm just gonna accept things as they are and just continue to live my SL 😆

Just now, Asadora Summers said:

In regards to the last names - someone told me that it's only for premium members and a charge of $50USD .... did I miss something? Is that true or gonna be true? Anyone know as of yet?

It's being a premium member and 40USD.

4 minutes ago, Asadora Summers said:

Argh - that's a lot! I'm happy with my name, but wanted to change my land alt's name who is premium, though I think $40USD is a bit much to do so. I'd rather spend that money on either buying lindens or buying a RL pair of shoes. lol

Yeah it's a lot. Unless a really really awesome last name gets released I won't be changing it either.

• Like 1

I've yet to see any solid sources on 40USD being the actual figure per name change*. From what I've seen in my various lurkings, it's all been rumour and prognostication so far. But if it's true, LL has gotta be taking the piff if they think 40USD is a "nominal fee." I mean maybe in 80 years from now, sure.

As for Soon™, some of us have been around long enough to know LL operates on a similar timetable to that of Valve. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

*Yes I know it also requires Premium as we've seen more than a few official LL posts declaring it.

IalsohavenoideawhyIamevenposting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Amras Martynov said:

I've yet to see any solid sources on 40USD being the actual figure per name change

the probable cost for a Last Name showed up here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Official_Information_and_Policies_Portal:Last_Names_Contest

5. PRIZE.

A. Description of Prizes. One free Last Names change (estimated value at US$39.99 plus $11.99 to represent the value of a month of Premium Membership) on an account of Winner’s choice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

The LSL functions needed for people to connect someone's new name to their old name, etc. are rolling out to the main channel this week. It's getting closer.

Closer, but still time to ready the cigar-trimmer:

[2020/02/18 12:04]  Qie Niangao: So all is ready for name changes? or there's more of that to come?
[2020/02/18 12:05]  Rider Linden: There is still some plumbing going on deep inside some of the back end, but it is close Qie.

(from yesterday's Server User Group)

I should have asked if the remaining plumbing is known to entail more sim code changes. I kinda assumed that wouldn't be necessary, but no real evidence either way about that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.