What are you listening to?

38 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

Apparently it's a bit of a metal sacrilege to like this band

The whole debate on what is and isn't metal can turn very opinionated and tiring, and people can be very obsessed with how to compartmentalise bands and declaring things not to be 'proper' metal. Personally I don't usually care for In This Moment's music, but that's just my own musical taste - I do think it's important to allow people to explore and violate the vague 'borders' people try to put up within music, after all, it's given us gems such as the very Oriental-inspired Reign of Light by Samael and the crazy but absolutely delicious album that is Satanic Pop Metal by Semargl (both of which are pretty much permanent on my personal top 5 albums of all time).

But at the same time I can understand that people are defensive about what people call metal and not metal; metal folks tend to be very passionate about music (obviously) and often consider it a core part of their personal and communal identities - and just like Goths might wish harm upon you for mistaking them for Emos, most Metalheads don't want to be associated with radio-friendly soft-rock with tinges of metal aspects strewn into it that are just harsh enough that mainstream folks might nod along. But at the same time, there's nothing wrong with liking both. Heck, I don't think German Oompa-yodelling is metal, yet I can't get enough of Franzl Lang.

.. But then, there are wonderful people who will break those borders as well:

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

The whole debate on what is and isn't metal can turn very opinionated and tiring, and people can be very obsessed with how to compartmentalise bands and declaring things not to be 'proper' metal.

Aye, it's a bit the crux when taste in music also becomes part of the identity. To me this was best exemplified a few years back when Hip Hop and Metal were considered arch enemies - and then some bands spooled up NuMetal. Oh boy. There was a lot of bellyaching over that. Ultimately, the gatekeeping is their loss, isn't it? I'll happily rock out to some Britney Spears Cover band at Wacken. While NuMetal isn't to my tastes - I do so very much adore the crossovers and international reach of metal nowadays.

Give me a bit of The HU from Mongolia, some Bloodywood from India, toss in a bit of Band-maid or Ningen Isu from Japan and mix in some folk for Wagakkiband before soaring over to Switzerland for some Eluveitie with their traditional instruments.

To me, this extreme identity aspect was always a bit of a red flag. If someone gives a person grief because a song wasn't pure enough, there's a good chance we wouldn't be friends anyway. And yeh, okay in some ways I can understand why people are apprehensive about external influences. The aforementioned goth culture had a bit of an uncomfortable brush with emo and when a beloved band switches genres, that can feel a bit like a betrayal. Still, more than enough people out there to appreciate and plenty more songs to enjoy.

To loop back to Jodel Metal - thanks for the link - here, have one back. Sea Shanty Metal.

Edited by ValKalAstra
  • Like 2