Consistent Crashing

AbbeLake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I recently began experiencing frequent crashing (within 2-10 minutes of login).  The issue began after updating my modem/router from my ISP earlier this week.  Prior, I used a separate modem and router, but now using a modem/router combo.  Could this be causing my issue? 

My connection seems fine otherwise, I just cannot stay connected to SL now.  

I'm not sure what technical information will be needed to help, but I will be happy to look up any info needed.  

32 minutes ago, AbbeLake said:

I recently began experiencing frequent crashing (within 2-10 minutes of login).  The issue began after updating my modem/router from my ISP earlier this week.  Prior, I used a separate modem and router, but now using a modem/router combo.  Could this be causing my issue? 

My connection seems fine otherwise, I just cannot stay connected to SL now.  

I'm not sure what technical information will be needed to help, but I will be happy to look up any info needed.  

first try , of course, resetting your connection, power off from start to end, let it powerless for a little while, and start up again, ending with your pc after the modem/router restarted fully.
If it doesn't help please check your connection to the server of SL ( not your local)
If you think it's about settings, copy/paste your system info here, you can take that from your viewer/help/about.

I have reset modem and router and computer so...many...times.  I have tried from a wired connection and a wireless connection (I have used wireless for years with no issue on this same connection)  

Here is info copied from the viewer. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3750H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx   (2295.69 MHz)
Memory: 8002 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17763.973)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1650/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 26.21.14.3191
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 431.91

RestrainedLove API: RLV v3.2.1 / RLVa v2.2.0.58052
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.25.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.7
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.00.03
Dullahan: 1.1.1320 / CEF: 3.3626.1895.g7001d56 / Chromium: 72.0.3626.121
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 1920x1001 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 32 m
Bandwidth: 100 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: Medium (3/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: No
Texture memory: 2048 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2019-12-31T0:13:31 
Built with MSVC version 1800
Packets Lost: 21/961 (2.2%)
February 08 2020 12:28:55 SLT

with that graphics your settings should be quite a bit higher. Bandwith, DD and RQ for sure..
The thing that worries me is the packet loss. Thats way to high.  SL gets in serious trouble already with 1 %, sometimes even lower. But this is your isp or somewhere else in the chain to blaim, not you. You can ask your isp to have a look.

Yes, I do believe it is an ISP issue, yet they tell me there are no issues at all.   Is there something specific I need to ask them to have a look at? 

The graphic settings, I have everything turned way down trying to troubleshoot the problem.  I do usually have set higher.  

I have been logging in to watch the Packet Loss and Ping Sim.  PL has stayed between 0.8 - 3.3% while PS grows steadily each log in.  It starts around 147, and after a few minutes makes a jump to 4,000 ms+.  When it jumps to 10,000 ms I am disconnected.  

Thanks.  We have 3 different "fiber to the home" (FTTH) access systems.  Some work better than others.  I haven't heard of the brand you mention.

I would suggest opening a report on SL's JIRA, describe what you see and attach log file of the crashed session and a dump file if one is created.  People look at those and can usually tell why the viewer is crashing.

How do I find the crash log and dump file?  

I'm tempted to try to bypass the router that's built into modem and try the older router.  Things worked perfectly until this switch.  ( My old modem was dying...so that's why I had to get new)   I am really feeling like there is something in the modem/router settings that is off and needs to be tweaked.  

5 hours ago, AbbeLake said:

I do believe it is in router/modem settings, but I'm lost as to where to begin! 

I leave messing with the router settings to my Resident Geek, and even he is reluctant to dig into them.  My suggestion would be to try using your old router first, bypassing the router section of your ISP's device and just using it as the internet access point.

My ISP sent a tech out to check the lines, and everything checked out with no issue.  They swear the modem/router is set as it should.  Still experiencing the issue after being logged in for a few minutes.  10 minutes online is a long stretch currently.  I am out of options here.  There is another team of techs working today as they can see frequent drops in my connection, but are finding no reason for the drops.  

On 2/8/2020 at 5:17 PM, AbbeLake said:

I'm tempted to try to bypass the router that's built into modem and try the older router.

I don't see the harm in trying this, connecting the old router's WAN port to one of the new box's LAN ports via ethernet, then see if you can connect to the old router as you did before. This probably isn't a great long-term solution, but it could help you figure out what's going wrong. I mean, if everything works with this kludgy setup, you'd know that there's nothing wrong with running SL traffic over your new connection. (I guess if it won't work, then you won't have learned much.)

Or you can try temporarily cutting the router out of the setup entirely by plugging the cable from your computer directly into the modem.  Don't leave it that way, because you will be bypassing the firewall protection that your router provides, but you can at least rule out the router completely that way (and the cable from the router to the modem too).

• Like 1

I did try plugging the old router into the new modem, but the issue persists.  

My connection is VERY slow.  Laughably slow.  I am very rural and it is the only service available, but it has worked perfectly for me for years now.  I can usually stay logged into SL all through the day with no crashing...no disconnects.  The new modem(s) changed that drastically.  10 minutes online is a long time.  

ISP sent one tech out to check my outside lines, and all checked out.  Another tech came out to check inside lines and test the modem, and determined the new modem was bad, and had a new one sent to me.  The second new modem renders the same results, disconnecting soon after login.   

This is my latest info I grabbed right before my last crash, as well as tracert.  LOTS of time outs as you can see.   

How can updating a modem cause this much issue?  It was like a switch.  It was working perfectly, and then it was not. 

You are at 176.1, 235.9, 22.2 in Alchemy located at sim10354.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.50.76:13010)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Alchemy/176/236/22
(global coordinates 127,920.0, 362,476.0, 22.2)
Second Life Server 2019-12-04T20:29:26.533447
Release Notes

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3750H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx   (2295.69 MHz)
Memory: 8002 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17763.1039)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1650/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 26.21.14.3191
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 431.91

RestrainedLove API: RLV v3.2.1 / RLVa v2.2.0.58052
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.25.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.7
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.00.03
Dullahan: 1.1.1320 / CEF: 3.3626.1895.g7001d56 / Chromium: 72.0.3626.121
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 1920x1001 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1.1
Draw distance: 32 m
Bandwidth: 500 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: Medium (3/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: No
Texture memory: 2048 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2019-12-31T0:13:31 
Built with MSVC version 1800
Packets Lost: 26/1,273 (2.0%)
February 14 2020 09:15:51 SLT

C:\Users\*****>tracert 216.82.5.76

Tracing route to 216.82.5.76 over a maximum of 30 hops

1   214 ms     2 ms     2 ms  ***.***.*.***
  2   223 ms   238 ms   234 ms  10.254.254.34
  3   219 ms   514 ms   232 ms  172.19.37.4
  4   268 ms   239 ms   237 ms  h29.2.136.40.static.ip.windstream.net [40.136.2.29]
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

I have added Google DNS, as well as a couple of others, with no luck. 

20 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Or you can try temporarily cutting the router out of the setup entirely by plugging the cable from your computer directly into the modem.  Don't leave it that way, because you will be bypassing the firewall protection that your router provides, but you can at least rule out the router completely that way (and the cable from the router to the modem too).

I have tried wirelessly (which is my typical setup) and I have also tried with a wired connection, hooking the modem straight into laptop, and the problem persists.  I have also tried connecting on a desktop and another laptop with same results. 

My friend and neighbor, who has same service, same speed of service, same modem/router ....it works perfectly at her house.  

Just out of curiosity ..... have you checked all of your cables to see if the cat has been chewing on them?  Many years ago now, I had an unexplained drop in service.  After poking at it for a week, I called my ISP who figured out that a cable connection in their box at  the street had gotten wet and corroded. Replacing the connector was all it took to get things back in shape again.

OK, one last guess and I am totally out of ideas. You have an incredibly long ping time.  You aren't by any chance using a satellite-based Internet connection, are you?  If so, there's almost no way to beat the ping time.  Your signal has to bounce off a satellite in orbit, so there's a natural delay.  That wouldn't make any difference at all for watching YouTube videos or web browsing, but SL depends on maintaining real-time synchronicity between your computer and the LL servers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1478 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.