Anti-push shield(orbit)

elitefrogman2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am looking for an orbit/shield that prevents avatars from getting too close to you.  I bought one but I have to rez it and I need a shield for no-rez zones. I have seen seen shields used like this in Freebie Galaxy(no-rez zone). I need one that creates an orbit of at least two meters from your avatar.

These were available a long time ago. I'm not sure, but I believe they were deemed as briefer tools and so they are against Community Standards. Anything that "orbits" is. Though it's not difficult to create a simple "push"-shield" that bumps people back if they bump into the shield.

Perhaps it is a great opportunity to learn about LSL scripting? I'm not a "scripted", but I know enough about LSL that I'm pretty sure I could make something like this.

Your better solution is to use a MOVE-LOCK tool or HUD. It's built into some viewers and there are attachments and HUDs that do the same.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Sad 1

I once tried to push a friend who'd gone AFK, they had an anchor script that made it futile. So I built a prim cage and slowly shoved them to the edge of the building platform, and when they got back and deleted the prim they'd slingshot back in place.

... I wonder if you could make a physical slingshot like that ... ... 

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

These were available a long time ago. I'm not sure, but I believe they were deemed as briefer tools and so they are against Community Standards. Anything that "orbits" is. Though it's not difficult to create a simple "push"-shield" that bumps people back if they bump into the shield.

Perhaps it is a great opportunity to learn about LSL scripting? I'm not a "scripted", but I know enough about LSL that I'm pretty sure I could make something like this.

Your better solution is to use a MOVE-LOCK tool or HUD. It's built into some viewers and there are attachments and HUDs that do the same.

Wrong. 

It is not against TOS to utilize orbits.

Only if they are used FOR GRIEFING.

Know the difference.

2 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Shouldn't it be enough to wear a transparent prim in the required size?

Still... why? 🙁

I have tried that. People can walk right through the prim if you wear it. maybe I am doing something wrong or don't know how to do it. I ez a prim of a larage size, I take it, and i go to 'add."

2 hours ago, Zzevir said:

I think he is misusing the word orbit. I think he is looking for a security sphere. 

The one I bought that has to be rezzed is called an orbit. But yes a security sphere would do. Many things are called different things. But I think you get the idea.

24 minutes ago, elitefrogman2 said:

I have tried that. People can walk right through the prim if you wear it. maybe I am doing something wrong or don't know how to do it. I ez a prim of a larage size, I take it, and i go to 'add."

Attachments can't collide with anything, they have no "physical" shape. Your only options are to either rez something so that it can be physical, or use a script with llPushObject, which requires the land permissions to allow pushing. This script for example:

{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSensorRepeat("", "", AGENT, PI, PI, 0.1);
        llSetScale(llGetAgentSize(llGetOwner()));
    }

sensor(integer n)
    {
        while (n--)
        {
            vector direction = llDetectedPos(n) - llGetPos();
            direction.z = 0;
            direction = llVecNorm(direction);
            direction.z = 0.5;
            llPushObject(llDetectedKey(n), direction * 5, ZERO_VECTOR, FALSE);
        }
    }
}

In SL, the term "orbit" means "to bump someone so hard that they fly off into orbit".  Devices that orbit people are rare these days, mostly because most places have the maximum strength of pushing/bumping turned down, so they don't work all that well.

I agree that what the OP seems to be wanting is something different, an invisible sphere that keeps people a couple of meters away.  This is possible, but it also has some drawbacks and limitations.

• You can't simply make a sphere and wear it.  Worn items become phantom, so it won't keep anyone out.  It has to be a vehicle you sit on.
  • Because you have to rez a vehicle, it can't be used in no rez areas.
  • Even in places where you can rez it and sit on (in) it, it makes your movements look funny and jerky, and you can't get too close to objects, because it will collide with them, too.

15 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

In SL, the term "orbit" means "to bump someone so hard that they fly off into orbit".  Devices that orbit people are rare these days, mostly because most places have the maximum strength of pushing/bumping turned down, so they don't work all that well.

I agree that what the OP seems to be wanting is something different, an invisible sphere that keeps people a couple of meters away.  This is possible, but it also has some drawbacks and limitations.

• You can't simply make a sphere and wear it.  Worn items become phantom, so it won't keep anyone out.  It has to be a vehicle you sit on.
  • Even in places where you can rez it and sit on (in) it, it makes your movements look funny and jerky, and you can't get too close to objects, because it will collide with them, too.

Some pnvps can be rezzed outside the no-rez, then worn tp back in the no-rez and will still mostly work. Anything that rezzes something else in response to being bumped won't however, for example if your pnvp rezzes objects in response to bumps and THOSE objects would push, it would not work if rez and push were off.

That being said, if you have rez rights but push is off, you can circumvent that and it is to my knowledge not agaisnt the TOS as it is a feature of the land that the sim owner dictates and not a LL RULE.

Edited by Anilyse7

Just now, Anilyse7 said:

Some pnvps can be rezzed outside the no rez, then worn and will still work.

Yes.  Most places have object entry enabled, so you can "drive" your invisible sphere vehicle from a place where you can rez into a place where you can't.  It's a terrible annoyance though; for one thing, it can be hard to find a nearby location with open rezzing.  You then have to physically walk (drive) your vehicle back to the place you want to be, you can't fly or teleport there because you are sitting on your vehicle and doing so will leave it behind.

You're better off trying some of the simpler things previous posters have suggested.

11 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:
  • It has to be a vehicle you sit on.

Well, not quite if you're clever (like me, hurhur, sarcasm). You can make an object that follows you.

{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSetTimerEvent(0.1);
    }

timer()
    {
        vector position = llList2Vector(llGetObjectDetails(llGetOwner(), [OBJECT_POS]), 0);
        llSetRegionPos(position + <0,0,0.25>);
    }
}

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Yes.  Most places have object entry enabled, so you can "drive" your invisible sphere vehicle from a place where you can rez into a place where you can't.  It's a terrible annoyance though; for one thing, it can be hard to find a nearby location with open rezzing.  You then have to physically walk (drive) your vehicle back to the place you want to be, you can't fly or teleport there because you are sitting on your vehicle and doing so will leave it behind.

You're better off trying some of the simpler things previous posters have suggested.

My personal shield/pnpv does not have these limitations. Only what I described.

17 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Attachments can't collide with anything, they have no "physical" shape. Your only options are to either rez something so that it can be physical, or use a script with llPushObject, which requires the land permissions to allow pushing. This script for example:

{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSensorRepeat("", "", AGENT, PI, PI, 0.1);
        llSetScale(llGetAgentSize(llGetOwner()));
    }

sensor(integer n)
    {
        while (n--)
        {
            vector direction = llDetectedPos(n) - llGetPos();
            direction.z = 0;
            direction = llVecNorm(direction);
            direction.z = 0.5;
            llPushObject(llDetectedKey(n), direction * 5, ZERO_VECTOR, FALSE);
        }
    }
}

Okay yes, that is what i was looking for. But it appears either way I can't use something like that. What is n and PI?

4 minutes ago, elitefrogman2 said:

Okay yes, that is what i was looking for. But it appears either way I can't use something like that. What is n and PI?

PI is just the mathematical constant pi. 3.14 and so on. I use PI as the range (3.14 meters) and cone arc (3.14 radians = 180 degrees = full sphere).

n is just the number of avatars detected by the sensor. When one avatar is detected, n is 1. The while-loop just goes through every detected avatar within range, and gives them a light shove away and upwards so land-friction doesn't keep them in place.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

16 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Okay thanks. I don't know how people ddi it in Freebie Galaxy.  Also I play a game inworld where sometimes it's best to keep people a certain distance from you. So that's the reason i asked about the distance. Yes, I know i can use move lock. I do have some anti-push tools as well. Those would work fine, but as I said i need to keep avatars a certain distance away sometimes.

15 minutes ago, elitefrogman2 said:

Okay thanks. I don't know how people ddi it in Freebie Galaxy.  Also I play a game inworld where sometimes it's best to keep people a certain distance from you. So that's the reason i asked about the distance. Yes, I know i can use move lock. I do have some anti-push tools as well. Those would work fine, but as I said i need to keep avatars a certain distance away sometimes.

Is it possible you simply ran into someone with some amount of ownership of the land?

2 minutes ago, Anilyse7 said:

Is it possible you simply ran into someone with some amount of ownership of the land?

That is a possibility, but I highly doubt it. I saw this person being attacked in Freebie Galaxy.  If she had any power I am sure she would have banned them or did something. I have actually seen a few people with these invisible spheres in Freebie Galaxy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.