Sign in to follow this  
Nacy Nightfire

Your real age in Second Life…

Seicher Rae wrote:

Let's circle the walkers, down the martinis and go find some young 35 yr old thang to amuse ourselves with! (No kidding, I was recently informed the only proper thing to do when one reaches the dead-zone of 50 is to pull up a rocking chair, crochet and pine for lost love.)

I don't own a rocking chair (and never will) I refuse to crochet (or knit) and as for pining - pffft - what a waste of a good time that would be.

Don't you know the new 40 is 55?

35 year olds can be fun to goad...

that's probably politically incorrect of me.

Seicher Rae wrote:

erm...

1) Not sure I want to be the poster child for elder avis. :smileyindifferent:

2) Already paint! (oh dear...)

3) Ray Kroc founded McD's at 52.

4) George Clooney is 50. Sharon Stone 52 and older than me! 

*Takes a moment to have a bit of a daydream about Sharon... deep sigh!

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

Jo, do you feel like you were born in the wrong era...I always thought I was more suited for the late 1800's, turn of the century

Yes and no.
I've never felt at home in the present, modern society never appealed to me.

As long as I can remember I've longed for the past and since a few years I actually have a 1930s lifestyle.

The world as it became after the war was just nog my world.

As a 6 year old girl I looked at old photos and cried when I realised the past was gone.

BUT as a serious historian I am not naive and know very well that the past could be a pretty horrendous place as well and I have to be realistic and realise that the past may look good but if I really found a way to travel back in time I might not like it at all.

The past was not better, but not everything was worse either.

Thanks to SL I can now visit the past, a bit.

Nacy Nightfire wrote:

I’m very candid about my age in RL…so much so it quite irritates my female friends who try to explain to anyone I declare my age to that they are very liberal about hanging out with older women. In second life I prefer to be ageless…its like flying.  I can’t do that in RL so why not fly free of the constraints and prejudices of age “too young to understand…too old to get it, etc.”  Short of trying to insure you aren’t getting involved with a mischievous underage kid, why does it matter to anyone not using this place as a SLtoRL dating platform?  I’m not going to lie and I’m not going to tell…I’ve just decided to give up.

Wow, this is a popular topic! I am going to skip over just about everything that came between your OP and this post, but it was all interesting reading.

I have the same attitude as you regarding both how I think of my SL age and in how I feel abut people wanting to know my RL age. Here, I'm 29 and holding; the point of even pretending to myself I can do that in RL is behind me. To be perfectly honest, I'm also a little more attractive in SL than I am in RL. Astonishing, I know.

I'll never develop any relationship in SL that will exend to RL other than friendship; there really isn't any reason why my RL age matters. I've never asked anyone's RL age (I don't do that in RL either but then I'm a seppo).

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Wow, this is a popular topic! <snipped>

(I don't do that in RL either but then I'm a seppo).

I was just going to make an observational post that echoed your "Wow...popular" because this has been one of the few threads I've seen in the new format that—for whatever reason—has a bit of the liveliness of the good bits of the old GDF. Dunno why.

"seppo"???? I Googled it but not sure I got the right definition.

Mags, I was just going to reply to your "hold off on being an Irish lesbian reply" with a "pppppthththth" and "you're no fun" and go sulk, when you redeemed yourself with wanting to goad thirty-somethings. Could be fun to do over the cask of Bushmill's. And geez, I know you're Irish but we wouldn't have to drink the cask in one go!:smileytongue:

Seicher Rae wrote: <snip>

Could be fun to do over the cask of Bushmill's. And geez, I know you're Irish but we wouldn't have to drink the cask in one go!:smileytongue:

There's always conditions :smileysad:... now we have to sip politely???

Dillon Levenque wrote:

seppo—rhyming slang; short for 'septic tank' / 'yank'.

I was trying to impress Mags with my in-depth UK slang knowledge.

*Tries to look as though she has a clue :smileyindifferent:

Mags Indigo wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Darn. I wasted it.

Mags Indigo wrote:

Seicher Rae wrote: <snip>

Could be fun to do over the cask of Bushmill's. And geez, I know you're Irish but we wouldn't have to drink the cask in one go!:smileytongue:

There's always conditions :smileysad:... now we have to sip politely???

LAUGHS! Gawd love the Irish! 

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Mags Indigo wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Darn. I wasted it.

You never waste it - you just use it unwisely :smileywink:

Seicher Rae wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Wow, this is a popular topic! <snipped>

(I don't do that in RL either but then I'm a seppo).

I was just going to make an observational post that echoed your "Wow...popular" because this has been one of the few threads I've seen in the new format that—for whatever reason—has a bit of the liveliness of the good bits of the old GDF. Dunno why.

"seppo"???? I Googled it but not sure I got the right definition.

That's because a  lot of it is just chit chat going back and forth, like in the old GD...enjoy it while we can, they will probably delete it soon when they realize we're not really on topic.  But, gee, darn...I miss it :(

In my experience in SL, the asl question have always been asked mostly by guys.

Seriously, I see no harm in telling anyone my asl info, but do people not realize that a guy who secretly plays a female avi or a female who secretly plays a male avi will not say their actual gender, so why would they say their real location and age?

I am 29 years old, I am male, I live in Toronto, Canada

I am 23 years old, I am female, I live in Dallas, Texas

Personally I don't care if truth or not is said on asl, what they say and do cannot harm me so long as I dont give confidential info.

It occurs to me that perhaps some of these men are hoping to be told a  lie to complete their fantasy.  Perhaps they don't actually care about a woman's real age.  Kind of like that classic scenario of the phone sex worker who is an overweight housewife in curlers drinking a beer for breakfast while smoking a ciggy an diapering a baby.  The customer deep down knows a gorgeous woman isn't going to likely be in this business, but he's content just  to be told that what she's wearing is .....(insert whatever you imagine to be sexy here).

The difference of course is despite many newcomer to SL male's expectations, all the females in SL are not sex workers paid by LL, for the purpose of fulfilling their personal fantasies.  I know...hard to believe but its true.

Personally, I'm not interested in giving out rl info or lying to be manipulative or lying to play along with someones fantasy.  Yes I know roleplay could be misconstrued as lying...but with roleplay its quite clear on both sides that everyone is engaging in complete fiction.

This may seem an interesting thing for me to say but one of the consequences (but also a benefit) of all the time I have spent in SL is that I had to learn to see again the beauty of an older woman in RL.

We get so used to looking at youthful looking Avatars that it can become a habit to be attracted to or to look at only youthful women in RL.  Now let me clarify, to me youthful in this context means 30's and 40's.  But I am a bit older than that.  When I realized what I was doing I really had to make a deliberate action to change.

In SL I do have friends of all RL ages.  At least based upon what they state there RL age is.  Everything from 18 to 70.   Now as a rule I don't go out of my way to ask a person their RL age but sometimes it does come up.  Sometimes in the course of getting to know someone it becomes obvious that they are older or younger.  Whether or not I ask simply depends upon the individual situation. 

Sometimes I have found myself being hit on by girls and they too changed their tune when they found out I was old enough to be their father.  But also interesting to me is the number of girls who claim to be very young who want to be with an older man.  There are tons of groups devoted to this in SL.  If they truly are that young, I doubt if many of them would actually go to bed with an older man in RL.  At least my RL experience says that it sure doesn't happen very often.  Either that or I am hanging out in the wrong places in RL.

I think my biggest thing overall in all my relationships is whether you can carry on an intelligent conversation.  That is still the one thing that stimulates me most.  But I do have to be honest, it does flatter the ego to be desired by a younger woman.  I just need to make sure I do a reality check every now and then.

Here is what is funny to me about age in SL. When I joined, I wouldn't have said that I had any expectations at all about what I thought SL would be. But apparently I really did, because I was very surprised to find so many people so close to my own age (40, which is no secret since it was outed in the old forum by another on my RL 40th birthday). I guess I did have a preconception that SL was likely to be populated by youngsters half my age.

As for why people are obsessed with RL age, I really couldn't say. Personally, I care far more about common interests and complete sentences than I do about age. I think I've only ever asked someone's age once in SL, because it was relevant in the context of the conversation.

Mags Indigo wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Darn. I wasted it.

You never waste it - you just use it unwisely :smileywink:

I will eventually come up with a good comeback to that. Might take some time. Might take a lot of time, actually. But just as soon as I stop laughing I'm gonna get to work on it.

I hate being asked the a/s/l question but oddly enough after questioning why they are asking I find that more than half the time when someone asks my age they are pleased that I am not a 20-something airhead....(as am I).

I am 18, both in real life and on Second Life. I prefer to tell my age, but I don't dare put my photo on my profile, becuase I don't want to get stalked by some 50 year old man in real life that gets his jeebies off of younger women like me. I go with the flow in SL, and do what I want to do, talk to friends, meet others, go listen to music, shop...etc. Some people creep me out, and I leave when I am creeped out to go somewhere else on SL so I don't have to deal with that person.

So basically I go about my business, even people have asked me for a picture and I just tell them no, and I won't give them a picture until I trust them enough.

"So basically I go about my business, even people have asked me for a picture and I just tell them no, and I won't give them a picture until I trust them enough."

And even THEN consider strongly not giving your RL image out to people on the internet.  Anyone can take your image and put it on their own profile, for example, and all kinds of wierd things can happen on the Internet and in SL.  Seemingly nice people can become vengeful.  It's probably a rare occurence, but who wants to be the exception here.  Once info gets out on the internet its almost impossible to remove or refute it.  If I was 18 I'd be extremely careful about the maintance of my internet reputation.

I've had a number of conversations with men in the range of about 40 - 60, who after discovering they were hooked up with 18ish year olds were shocked and horrified.  Alot of us are slow to transition to voice so its not easy to pick this up right away.  If your parents are 40 or 50 then you know enough about their past, likes and dislikes for music and entertainment to  "fake it" for a while.  This was a disturbing experience for these guys and they were not flattered or pleased. The teens involved were well aware that they targeting some older guy.   There's a fair number of teens that target people much older then themselves because they can con them buying the more expensive clothes and skins, etc.  So the predation can go both ways.

Edited because of missed words, misspelling and various other annoyances

Asking for RL information should be considered very rude in SL really.  If the other party proactively, willingly give their information to you, that's one thing, otherwise, you might just make the other party very uncomfortable.  Because inherently they want to be nice, but the sane thing to do is always decline to give away your information.

Carole Franizzi wrote:

It was in another thread that the comment was made about how the ordinary can seem so unusual and daring in a world where everything is so bizzare and surreal. Everybody SEEMS so young, whereas I'm guessing the actual average age is pretty advanced - however, if (especially if you're a woman) you admit to not being a spring chicken, it's seen as truly odd! The age thing boils down to poor delusional souls wanting desperately to believe that the hawtie whom they're cavorting or romancing with is really and truly a 21 year old stunner who for some odd reason known only to herself has no social life and no boyfriend - despite her youth, amazing good looks and model's body - and is stuck in the house night after night in front of the pc, forced to "date" an avatar operated by a 55 year old school janitor with a beer belly, a wife, three kids and a grandchild.

I dunno...you gotta feel sorry for them. You'd think common sense would suggest that maybe - just maybe - when you're a bright young thing in the full flood of youth, freshness and loads of energy, you'd be off actually partying, rather than pretending to party on a VR. Would I have spent time in here, had it been around when I was a 20-something party-girl? Probably not much, if at all. Would I have got SL-serious with some avie operated by a maritally-challenged middle-aged man? Nah...doubt it....

Face it fellas - the young hawtie you're bopping with at the club is more likely to be one of us middle-aged dames, with only just enough energy left over at the end of the day to switch on the TV or pc - no matter  how much the avatar seems to indicate otherwise.

A final word about what one is wearing. If you IM me in the evenings, it's highly likely that I'm wearing a very loose, comfy and slightly tatty old PJ thingy which I bum about the house in. Yes, i know - it's not what you'd hoped to hear but let's face it - how many women do you know who slip into suspenders and a black lace guepiere to use the pc??

I really needed to read your post. . :) It didmy heart good . I agree. If you are 20 and Second Life is where you are going for your life experience you have problems. Log off and live the real world .   As far as askin rl age, from the prospective of a man, I can understand it.  Even with "age verified by payment" you can never be too paranoid. - Esp if the caboose you're following is a basic acct.  That being said, th most ......"upsetting?".......displeasing? thing I've encounterd so far that is appearance related (I don't want any other displeasing stuff lol thanks) is the unvarying "perfection". How do any of these folks have any FUN obsessed with being so perfect? For me, I've bought several shapes and I gotta tell you no matter which it was I invariably DEperfected him. It didn't feel comfortable to me ; the dementions on these avatars is delusional to the point of not being fun. And if I'm not having fun here I'm sorry but I won't be staying. Stress and hyper obsession I can get offline. Besides there a "personalization" in inperfection; its those things that creates individuality.

Anyway, just wanted to say it.  

Old people know so much more about the art of sex that it puts the stupid 20 something bimbos to shame. Who wants a little mexican beach bar orgy used on spring break tart anyway? Especially since they are probably dying of various STDs because they are idiots anyway?

Whatever.

Can't get aids or clap from SL. Have fun exploring what fetishes you might have. Do it in RL and your chances of survival are low.

Nacy, I don't trust people that easily AT ALL. I actually can be conidered an all-out recluse in rea life, since in school, I keep to myself.  I don't like putting myself in a position where I'll be used just for whatever reason.

And also, I don't need to be told what to do, I know PLENTY about life, and what I should and should not do. You may be older then me, but that doesn't give you permission to boss me around. I posted here simply because I wanted to, not becuase I wanted to be criticized for what I think is the right thing to do.

And, SecondLife is pretty much a free world. Right?

That means I can make my own decisions about my own repuation, I can make decisions on where I want to go.

The only thing I watch out for mostly is the creepers and the disgusting people. I go no where near them, and I don't associate with them. I am a good person and I keep it that way. I only give my picture to someone once I REALLY trust them enough that they wont do stupid stuff with it...

Rant over.