Odd and Unsolicited Subscription

Stenelaide

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

something odd just happened to me. I recieved an object, more precisely one of those invitations you wear and they give out a landmark. I usually recieve that kind of item when I hit the subscribers in an in-world store, I'm sure you know what I mean. Now, the odd thing is, this object/invitation comes from some club owner my daughter knows in-world, but how did this guy got my name? We never met, my daughter never mentioned me, our profiles are not connected and our groups are private. My daughter recieved the same object and, like me, she didn't hit any subscriber on this guy's land. She mentioned he knows a very skilled scripter who did work for him, could it be that this person developed some subscriber that automatically adds the person, their friends or someone who uses the same computer to connect to SL? I mean, I totally understand if my daughter's name was added since she knows him. Not cool to add people without asking, but whatever. What about me, tho? I care about my privacy and that was kind of unsettling tbh.

1. If you so much as visited the region/parcel where the club is located, that is all it would take to add you to the subscriber object
  2. If you are in any of the same groups as your daughter and the owner of the subscriber is in any of those groups as well, they can see that and add you in
  3. Some will go through groups or visitor lists and simply add users at random

There are several more possibilities here that are far, far more likely than some system that sniffs out users who share a computer or friends of a user (which is - simply put - not possible to begin with).

Relax, figure out how to unsub and do so.

ETA: There will be those who will tell you that you can sniff out users on a shared computer but the reality is that such systems can only guess and are quite against the ToS - a particular violation that Linden Lab does take seriously, if it is found to be applicable.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 3

I'm pretty sure I never visited that place, there are no groups in common between the three of us, this guy never visited our land, see I ruled out the obvious, that's why I have no idea where he got my name from. Seems weird that someone would pick me to add of all people. Must be at random. I blocked the object, I shouldn't recieve anything else.

Send a SL Spam Removal IM:

Hello, I am apparently in your automated notification list that I do not remember ever opting into. Can you please remove me from all your automated notification or news lists per this section of the Second Life Terms of Service and Community Standards:

Disturbing the Peace/Global Attacks: Examples of prohibited attempts to disturb the peace include, but are not limited to: 
- Repeated transmission of undesired content;

Thank you.

I keep this in a notecard so I can pull it up at any time and use it.

Note that you may need to check the groups of the sender (which may be a bot) and send this IM to the group owners.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

And check all agents in the sim and add them to a mailer server...

This sounds pretty likely to me. For one thing, why else send an object to do a group invitation?

(In case it's not obvious, this would entail the OP's daughter having that "inviter" object rezzed in the same sim as the OP at some point. It wouldn't even need to be that particular object, nor even from the same person or group, but presumably they'd be hoping for better results than simply spamming every randomly encountered avatar; folks in the vicinity of good prospects should be better-than-random prospects themselves.)

40 minutes ago, Stenelaide said:

There should't be anything rezzed but I'll do an area search just in case.

Oh, I meant "rezzed" in the more general sense, which includes being attached. So for example, if your daughter wore something that had the key-collection script while in the same region as you, that script could harvest your key. (It could be rezzed out unattached, too, so that is indeed a possibility.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.