Making 4th dimensional skybox in SL.

MeshPromo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Definition: A fourth dimension is a place we can travel to by going in a direction perpendicular to the third dimension.

4D Facts:

1. We should able to go through an infinite number of 4th-dimensional directions.

2. When passing through the 4th dimension, the world shouldn't change, it would just be seen by different perspectives.

In simple terms what we gonna do is a 2D projection of a 3D slice of a 4D object.

Even though the 3d dimension has X Y Z infinite directions, in SL it is 256mx256m4096m per each sim. In the same way, we can also limit the W direction as lesser as we want as most of the 4d games have only a few 4th-dimensional directions. That gives the solution for the 1st fact.

There are already multi-scene skyboxes and someone could say it is the 4th-dimensional navigation by changing the scenes, but it violates the 2nd fact as the world is changing that way.

Unless LL changes the SL sim structure by adding W axis in addition to XYZ, only we can do is fake the W axis just as how we fake the 3d view by adding 2d texture as the environment of a 3d skybox.

The easiest way is making linkseted objects and use the alpha texture to make the different dimensions invisible, but that also not the real 4d.

As the groups of 2d triangle face made the SL 3d meshes, we should make the 4th dimension by making groups of 3d tetrahedrons. Then we texture each tetrahedron faces using 3DsMax's viewport canvas (or anything similar in other software) and make different maps to get different object shapes. Use the alpha layers to hide the extra tetrahedron linkset groups of different scenes using a HUD script.

It is impossible to make very complex objects in SL using groups of tetrahedron due to the limits of SL such as triangle limits, land impact limits and the lag. But we can make boxed object such as in minecraft., besides it has 4th dimension called a hypercube.

I wish someone fluent in Einstein's theories of special and general relativity plus SL mesh creation, would suggest a better solution for this concept.

(English is my 3rd language, but I hope this note would be clear enough for someone interested in this concept to add more wisdom).

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, MeshPromo said:

When passing through the 4th dimension, the world shouldn't change, it would just be seen by different perspectives...

But we can make boxed object such as in minecraft., besides it has 4th dimension called a hypercube.

I think i dont really get what you talk about, but i would appreciate it, if you post a LM link to your place as soon as you built what you think the 4th dimension looks like.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

I think i dont really get what you talk about, but i would appreciate it, if you post a LM link to your place as soon as you built what you think the 4th dimension looks like.

I think it may allow you to switch between RL and SL seamlessly without having to login :) Rez prims in RL and things like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Christhiana said:

I think it may allow you to switch between RL and SL seamlessly without having to login :) Rez prims in RL and things like that.

In RL i would be happy with complete new outfits fatpacks for around 5 USD already. Not to mention plastic surgeries within a few seconds and always having a perfect skin. Ill leave the wooden cubes in my garage... :)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Christhiana said:

Btw, you already have a fourth dimension, it's called time :) 

Well, in physics yes, as far as Newton's physics.

But according to String theory, it says time is not a dimension. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory

The fourth dimension is shapeshifting. You see the distance is the common variable in all dimensions. Hence all dimensions have some distance. Also, you get more directions as you increase the dimensions.

0 dimension (a point) has 0 directions

1 dimension(a straight line) has 2 directions (X, -X)

2 dimension(a plane) has 4 directions (X, -X, Y, -Y)

3 dimension(cube) has 6 directions (X, -X, Y, -Y, Z, -Z)

4 dimension (tesseract) has 8 directions (X, -X, Y, -Y, Z, -Z, W, -W)

So all the 4-dimensional directions are possible only with shapeshifting (a rotating tesseract).

But in SL since there is no W axis, only we can do is fake it as I explained in the earlier comment.

Edited by MeshPromo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MeshPromo said:

Well, in physics yes, as far as Newton's physics.

But according to String theory, it says time is not a dimension. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory

The fourth dimension is shapeshifting. You see the distance is the common variable in all dimensions. Hence all dimensions have some distance. Also, you get more directions as you increase the dimensions.

0 dimension (a point) has 0 directions

1 dimension(a straight line) has 2 directions (X, -X)

2 dimension(a plane) has 4 directions (X, -X, Y, -Y)

3 dimension(cube) has 6 directions (X, -X, Y, -Y, Z, -Z)

4 dimension (tesseract) has 8 directions (X, -X, Y, -Y, Z, -Z, W, -W)

So all the 4-dimensional directions are possible only with shapeshifting (a rotating tesseract).

But in SL since there is no W axis, only we can do is fake it as I explained in the earlier comment.

Ah, ok. from your post I got the impression you were talking about special relativity, not string theory. But still it eludes me what it is you're trying to accomplish. Could you please elaborate some more about what it is you want to achieve in SL?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Christhiana said:

Interesting concept. That would take some genious scripting and would be quite a strain on the simulator. It would make for an interesting showcase, but I don't see any practical use for it in SL. 

I finally understood. he wants to build a real space that no one knows what it looks like and that is based on an unproven and controversial theory.

you don't have to work hard for it.  just rezz a psychedelic cube and smoke something strong. the rest will come by itself

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Kweopi said:

I finally understood. he wants to build a real space that no one knows what it looks like and that is based on an unproven and controversial theory.

Meanwhile she/he feel nothing strange about the dragons or vampires in SL, may be those were scientifically proven.

4d is very popular in other gaming platforms and I'm not going to mention all of those games as it might be against the forum terms to advertise in here. I wrote here as this is a creation forum to get some new ideas about the project that I'm currently working. So I appropriate if others could contribute something valuable to think instead trying to attack just because you see something new.

• Like 2

You could do an unfolded tesseract in SL using an experience token.

330px-8-cell_net.png

Unfolded tesseract. Eight cubes. Put a door in each face of each cube, connected to the appropriate door in another face of another cube. Use an experience token to do the teleport.

Advanced users can implement a portal gun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/6/2020 at 4:41 AM, Christhiana said:

While were on the subject of physics…. Do you think a prim has no defined shape and is in superposition until it's rezzed?

Is it like Schrödinger's Cat? Does the prim exist or not exist? We will never know until it is rezzed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sean Heavy said:

Is it like Schrödinger's Cat? Does the prim exist or not exist? We will never know until it is rezzed.

You don't know where prims come from? They come from a drilling rig in the ANWR Channel, and they go through a pipeline to shore at Calleta near the railroad yards.

Edited by animats
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Sean Heavy said:

Yes, something like that :) When in inventory the prim is in superposition and thus has every possible shape until it's rezzed and observed inworld causing it's wave function to collapse.

• Like 1

a fairly good introduction to 4D objects from a 3D perspective here:

https://interestingengineering.com/understanding-fourth-dimension-3d-perspective

to do this in SL then we can simulate the effect by rezzing objects to change the scene as the avatar moves in time and space. The space maybe a simple hollow box, the scene changing/rezzing out of camera view (behind the avatar)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.