Phantom Mini Map Dots

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there any documented occasions where we might see someones Yellow dot on a Mini Map, when indeed, they are not truly there?

I saw a persons Yellow dot at a place with a person we both know.  (no foul play suspected).   At a time when this person was supposedly away from her PC and asleep while still logged on.  IM's went unanswered when I tried to speak and I was put out by what appeared to be rudeness on her end.  I left that location and came back, and both partys were gone.

My friend maintains that she was never at her PC at the times I say they happened.  She claims it must be a glitch in the system.   She is adamant that what I saw cannot have truly occured and is now put out herself because I have made a terrible issue over it.

Sorry if this sounds like the makings of a bad soap opera plot but this person is dear to me and this is on the verge of ruining a friendship.

Does anyone have any input?   Thanks in advance if you do.

Thanks

Well if its just that one time that happend she was rude to you, and after it she is treating you fine ignore it. If it happens again attack her with all you can and tell her it wasn't you, its a SL glitch! lol.

What ever happens do not forget: you can expect everything and you can replace everything ;)

Avatars are sometimes 'ghosted' - people log off but SL 'forgets' to remove them from the world.  Sometimes it remembers later and logs them off, sometimes a region restart is required.  In any case, as has been said, if she left the avatar logged-in then it would be there anyway.

avatar ghosting is still a problem, although the weekly restarts have made it less of an issue. occasionally ghosts persist until the next login attempt, or more often until a region restart. The most frequent cause of ghosting seems to be disconnecting shortly after a teleport, when the origin region hasn't yet let go of the handle for the avatar, but the destination drops it... seems to be a 50/50 shot which region the avatar ghost remains in, but usually it's the last one if the teleport completes.

• 2 weeks later...

Really, really interesting, this ghost issue, never had heard about, yes its true that many times friend Avs dont disappear until few minutes have past, but staying there for hours!? even days?

The uneasiness felt by FugQ at that moment makes myself shiver.. I like to have this misteries in sl, although your exlanation was great Void.

FugQ Daxter wrote:Sorry if this sounds like the makings of a bad soap opera plot but this person is dear to me and this is on the verge of ruining a friendship.

No. What's ruining your friendship is your refusal to believe the word of your friend. Frankly, if I were her, I'd have told you to stuff it the moment you first implied that she was lying to you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.