How much can you improve on your end before you realize it’s Second Life’s problem?

JPG0809

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Drayke Newall said:

Um.... what is a Dinkie? At the moment being so late my Australian slang brain is trying to convince me it is our butchered slang word for someone riding on the handle bars of a bicycle. But I'm sure that isn't what you mean lol.

It's either a cat-like human or a human-like cat, that is fairly tiny.  I think they come up to my knees, roughly, maybe a tad shorter.

• Thanks 1

Adaptive graphical settings depending on framerate is putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.

There shouldn’t be some workaround to get a somewhat better user experience, there should be changes to the games engine and some sort of restriction on object complexity to get the game performing well. It’s not 2006, the game still thinks it is. A new user seeing their game constantly change settings and still struggle to pull any stable framerate at all is going to wonder why their 350$ laptop can play Grand Theft Auto 5 but can’t play this game that Wikipedia says is from 2003?

And you won’t be able to convince them that it’s somehow OK because it’s a tailored and optimized game vs user created content, they won’t care, it performs bad and that’s not good.

And they’re not wrong, this game at its core should be a cakewalk for any modern hardware. Video cards and processors these days have no issues rendering obscenely detailed scenes and showing massive quantities of particle effects, shadows and even technologies well past SL such as ray tracing. But this game isn’t using your hardware, it’s basically taking everything you have and funneling it into one core and maybe leaving a few tasks to a second core, your gpu doesn’t know what it’s doing because the cpu is still doing the majority of the graphical work, the gpu is just sorta putting it together.

As a mental image of sorts, imagine this. Your gpu is one guy working with your cpu, who is 8 guys. 6 of them are taking a nap, 1 is listlessly playing with a piece of paper and the last one is screaming, swarmed in work to do. 
And the gpu is just standing there with a checklist that says “bump mapping, textures, materials” and looks at it every so often.

Just now, AdminGirl said:

Um.. this is going to sound stupid, but can someone explain what the Quality and Speed slider does exactly (the Low, Mid, High, Ultra slider under Graphics), aside from moving all the other sliders like Draw distance, LOD, etc? 😕

Its fuzzy settings vs precise settings.

Changing that slider just makes an approximated set of changes for a very generalized graphical setting, while changing stuff yourself can get you more precise results.

Sliding it to ultra i dont think turns everything on anyway, while turning it to minimum may not be ideal since that tends to turn off basic shaders which mean your GPU does effectively nothing and can actually hinder performance.

While somewhere in the middle you might not have the right draw distance that would suit you best, or maybe terrain and trees are high detail but avatars arent, etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cheesecurd said:

Changing that slider just makes an approximated set of changes for a very generalized graphical setting, while changing stuff yourself can get you more precise results.

Sliding it to ultra i dont think turns everything on anyway, while turning it to minimum may not be ideal since that tends to turn off basic shaders which mean your GPU does effectively nothing and can actually hinder performance.

While somewhere in the middle you might not have the right draw distance that would suit you best, or maybe terrain and trees are high detail but avatars arent, etc

Ohhh thank you 🙂

23 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

Um.. this is going to sound stupid, but can someone explain what the Quality and Speed slider does exactly (the Low, Mid, High, Ultra slider under Graphics), aside from moving all the other sliders like Draw distance, LOD, etc? 😕

Another way to think of it is that each of those bumps is little more than a different set of scaled, starter presets.

find the one that gives you the best performance Vs. appearance for your hardware and tweak it from there.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, cheesecurd said:

19 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Another way to think of it is that each of those bumps is little more than a different set of scaled, starter presets.

find the one that gives you the best performance Vs. appearance for your hardware and tweak it from there.

12 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I use halfway between high and ultra, then turn draw distance all the way down, turn up object detail and turn avatar complexity to about halfway on slider.

Thanks so much everyone, this is so helpful. Most of the tips and tutorials I've seen re: SL photography just says to push the graphics all the way up to ultra without saying much about what that actually does. I'm not so confused anymore! 😃

On 2/7/2020 at 7:17 AM, Drayke Newall said:

Um.... what is a Dinkie? At the moment being so late my Australian slang brain is trying to convince me it is our butchered slang word for someone riding on the handle bars of a bicycle. But I'm sure that isn't what you mean lol.

I have to fix my eyelashes...but this is Meeb, a Dinkie.  I am asked if I am adoptable a lot.   Aside from the rugs, the curtains, the ears and the horn which are not mine, ALL the textures in the room are 512 x 512 and my jewelry is 256 x 256.   You can even see the little dots I put on the front of the shoes.   Looks fine to me except the dress which is just a prototype as I want a green roses textures - still making it.   And, the photo is just the default photo setting with graphics on mid.  Also, some stuff IS textured, some is not.  This is my studio with works in progress.   For photo shoots I use ultra, otherwise, I do not use it.  For photos for my business, I use mid and it looks fine to me.  

Snapshot_681 meeb.png

Snapshot_688.png

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 12:24 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

I didn't know this.

It seems counter intuitive.

I just went to 16x. My FPS went from 30-60 up to 80-120...

That's bizarre and doesn't make sense on paper. Was it in the viewer that you changed anti aliasing or in the GPU Control Panel? I'll have to give it a try. Which GPU model and driver version are you using?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.