Display Name

lKlitzl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So every time I change my display name it’s changed again back to my username it’s been happening for months without me doing it myself and I’m stuck waiting another week last night I changed my display name and minutes later it reset by itself to my username.. why is this happening? It’s frustrating me.

7 answers to this question

Use the search function here in the forums to find the many times that people have asked the same question.  The answer is always the same.  The system is not designed to handle non-standard alphanumeric characters -- "Fancy fonts". Avoid them.  Use only normal characters in the standard font available in your viewer. The chances are reasonably high that if you use fancy characters that look like letters but are not, the system will reject them.  (Incidentally, even if the system does not reject them, you will find that DJ's, merchants, and others who depend on being able to read your name will at least give you a hard time.)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Use the search function here in the forums to find the many times that people have asked the same question.  The answer is always the same.  The system is not designed to handle non-standard alphanumeric characters -- "Fancy fonts". Avoid them.  Use only normal characters in the standard font available in your viewer. The chances are reasonably high that if you use fancy characters that look like letters but are not, the system will reject them.  (Incidentally, even if the system does not reject them, you will find that DJ's, merchants, and others who depend on being able to read your name will at least give you a hard time.)

I have tried to avoid the fancy fonts before and it still changed it back to my username I contacted secondlife about it because this time I did it through the web it thought it was because of the viewer I use but that’s not the source so even using regular font doesn’t work for me but I’ll try again in a week

Hmmm... I can only think of a handful of other reasons why a name would be rejected. It's possible that the name is simply too long. A display name can't have more than 31 characters. (In fact, the limit is shorter than that, because those are 31 standard characters.  High-bit "fancy" characters require more memory, so you can't get away with using as many of them.) You also cannot use some words.  For example, you cannot create a name that suggests that you are a Linden.  A name that includes some derogatory language may also be rejected. Finally, a name might be rejected if it is clear that you have chosen it in order to appear to be someone else ... spoofing in order to damage another person's reputation or steal access to account information.  I don't think for a minute that you have done any of those things, except possibly by accident, but they are possibilities.  If you still have problems after you try again next time, I suggest submitting a support case to get Linden Lab help. Explain exactly what you have tried, and hope for the best.

Edited by Rolig Loon
Clarity
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Hmmm... I can only think of a handful of other reasons why a name would be rejected. It's possible that the name is simply too long. A display name can't have more than 31 characters. (In fact, the limit is shorter than that, because those are 31 standard characters.  High-bit "fancy" characters require more memory, so you can't get away with using as many of them.) You also cannot use some words.  For example, you cannot create a name that suggests that you are a Linden.  A name that includes some derogatory language may also be rejected. Finally, a name might be rejected if it is clear that you have chosen it in order to appear to be someone else ... spoofing in order to damage another person's reputation or steal access to account information.  I don't think for a minute that you have done any of those things, except possibly by accident, but they are possibilities.  If you still have problems after you try again next time, I suggest submitting a support case to get Linden Lab help. Explain exactly what you have tried, and hope for the best.

Ah okay thank you and I have already earlier today.

Well its happening to me as well.  Its not the font, the font I am trying to use my friends use it and have no issue.   I have also tried standard font and it will not stick.  As soon as I log off and back on its back to the my account name.  

Any help would be helpful

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.