You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you are unhappy about low income or joblessness you can be depressed. Real depressed. Taking a pill can numb you or block you feeling bottled up but I don't think it's gonna cure you. Poverty is reality of life in the world today but it's rarely talked about. People are getting poorer and poorer and the answer is take your meds? Diew lay!

1 hour ago, BeautifulXu said:

Taking a pill can numb you or block you feeling bottled up but I don't think it's gonna cure you.

If the pill numbs or blocks anything you’re on the wrong medication and need to speak with your doctor or find a new doctor. The right medication taken correctly can be life-saving. Please stop contributing to the stigma surrounding mental health diseases that can be very well managed with medication.

What you are describing is situational depression. It is very real, but very different than other depressive disorders and is treated very differently, though it also sometimes includes medication.

There is no shame in taking medication.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hello Jin and welcome to SL . i hope you are able to find that person you are looking for . Some times in SL its much easier to find friends, and they become the ones who care deeply for you . Give it some time, and a chance, enjoy what there is in SL to offer.. its not just a game, even though , I will be honest, when I started  I was convinced thats all it was . But the people become close to you , you build a family and eventually, relationships . but its a one day at a time thing . 

Again welcome. 

• Like 3

On 2/13/2020 at 8:33 PM, Beth Macbain said:

What you are describing is situational depression. It is very real, but very different than other depressive disorders and is treated very differently, though it also sometimes includes medication.

Beth said that in response to @beautifulxu who said:

On 2/13/2020 at 7:23 PM, BeautifulXu said:

If you are unhappy about low income or joblessness you can be depressed. Real depressed. Taking a pill can numb you or block you feeling bottled up but I don't think it's gonna cure you. Poverty is reality of life in the world today but it's rarely talked about. People are getting poorer and poorer and the answer is take your meds?

I agree with BeautifulXu that low income, unemployment and poverty can be "real" depression. It can be situational, like Beth said, or it can factor into clinical. If the poverty etc. is long lived then it might be difficult to dissect the two apart, and actually becomes a bit moot as to which is which. I do NOT agree with BeautifulXu's derision of taking meds. The answer isn't JUST take your meds, no. Of course the situation needs to be addressed (poverty etc). That's easier said than done, though. There will be poor always. However, I know from personal experience that Medicaid does cover antidepressants and at least in my state, therapy. I couldn't afford therapy when I had private insurance through my employment. And I live in poverty so yeah, I know of which I speak.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/6/2020 at 10:04 AM, PandoriaMoonshadow said:

Yeah, you're right, it's best to just sit back and ignore the dicks that hide behind their computer screens and don't seem to give two *****s about the thoughts and feelings of others. No need to call them out on that behavior, although it's often that behavior that more and more often these days drives people to extremes--those depressed souls that don't find acceptance in the real world, find the same judgement and bullying online that further pushes them into a state of hopelessness, and eventually they end it by taking their life or the lives of others. I've seen it happen twice in two months in my area of the world- two 13 year old girls dead because of online bullying. But I guess that's their fault, they must have been too sensitive- little snowflakes that couldn't handle it. Right? 

But sure, it's more fun to poke and prod at those who are depressed, perhaps seem a little different, those that don't fit in with the rest of us. Who cares of the consequences though, since we're all just online hiding in a virtual world where nothing really matters.

Perhaps if the "Appropriateness Police" was more of a thing in online forums as well as RL, perhaps things in this f-ed up world might be a little more kind, helpful and accepting. But I'm not going to stop calling out bull***** when I see it... 

Well, I'm the one who called you the appropriateness police, so I'm assuming this response was aimed at me. Boy do you have the wrong demographics. First of all, just because someone posts some advice or comments YOU don't happen to think are useful doesn't mean EVERYONE thinks they are useless comments. Sorry to inform you, but the world doesn't revolve around you. So, talk about not giving two ****s about the thoughts and feelings of others, because you just had to call out people instead of adding your comment to the OP, you're rather a big ole hypocrite, aren't you? Rather a sanctimonious one at that.

If you knew anything about me, or how and what I post (and frankly I stand behind everything I wrote here and I'd love to know how any of that was dickish behavior until I poked fun of you and your idiotic flame throwing posts), you'd know just how ill aimed this post of yours is. I have been the target of Forum trolling the likes of which neither you nor just about anyone else has ever experienced (not the forum in its current form). I have written many hopefully educational and empathetic posts about depression and the BS ideas that surround it. I have had suicidal ideation and attempts.

I didn't see ANYONE poking fun at the OP. I saw YOU deriding other posters. I saw some people roll their eyes at the Facebook style "inspirational posts" which are absolutely useless to anyone truly depressed.

Basically, you're a hand-wringing, hypocrite riding in on a high horse and making things worse in your attempt to "smooth things over." Whatevs. These Forums are very educational, often about things the posters don't intend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Days have passed ...weeks have passed since I heard from you and you heard from but life is moving up. here is a happiness in knowing we are not stuck in one place forever viewing past mistakes. Our thoughts have weight that stand us up straight. We are all moving in the right direction!

Edited by BeautifulXu
misspelled word

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.