Sims that spam you invite to paid group upon landing

MelodyClone1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1543 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Spamming an invite as soon as people land to your paid group is kinda desperate and pathetic. There are also people who put an inviter scripts to boxed items that trigger when you try to unbox, smh. Tbh sooner or later people will accidentally click "accept" instead of "decline" or "ignore". This should be banned. In fact, why is it not banned yet? I even consider it similar to phishing. One accidental click then poof, your 500L is gone.

Edited by MelodyClone1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Mute and blacklist the item with the script in it? I also have my viewer set to not pop up group invites, requests to attach things or to be animated by things. 

1. Blacklisting does not prevent the initial trigger when you land on a sim you've never been to before
  2. There's not just a handful of sims doing this. When you sim hop when shopping you're bound to come across new stores doing this

You can block group invite popups? I have to look into this, that might solve the problem. Still this kind of thing should not be allowed to start with.

2 hours ago, MelodyClone1 said:
  1. Blacklisting does not prevent the initial trigger when you land on a sim you've never been to before
  2. There's not just a handful of sims doing this. When you sim hop when shopping you're bound to come across new stores doing this

You can block group invite popups? I have to look into this, that might solve the problem. Still this kind of thing should not be allowed to start with.

Blocking the object/script isn't going to do anything. The big group-invite popup cannot be sent from a script. It comes from an avatar (bot). The dialog tells you who sent you the invite, so you can just block them.

0d7e3fe9ab.png

Besides, even if you accidentally click "Join", there is at least a second confirmation:

aa5abbdb6d.png

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I admittedly do not sim hop much, but I have not once in 12 years landed on a sim and received an invitation to a paid group.  Also, an offer to join a group given upon landing on THEIR land or parcel hardly fits the definition of "spamming".  It's like claiming every television and radio ad is spam.

Rather than legislating a solution to a non-problem (and, even if it is a problem, it is only a problem for people who cannot be bothered to look where they click) there are multiple existing solutions.  You could, for instance, use all your group allotments, to force you to pause and leave another group to join the new one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I admittedly do not sim hop much, but I have not once in 12 years landed on a sim and received an invitation to a paid group.  Also, an offer to join a group given upon landing on THEIR land or parcel hardly fits the definition of "spamming".  It's like claiming every television and radio ad is spam.

Rather than legislating a solution to a non-problem (and, even if it is a problem, it is only a problem for people who cannot be bothered to look where they click) there are multiple existing solutions.  You could, for instance, use all your group allotments, to force you to pause and leave another group to join the new one.

The solution for people who cannot be bothered to look before they click twice (there is a second confirmation) is perhaps to frequent these forums rather than SL.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Blocking the object/script isn't going to do anything. The big group-invite popup cannot be sent from a script. It comes from an avatar (bot). The dialog tells you who sent you the invite, so you can just block them.

0d7e3fe9ab.png

Besides, even if you accidentally click "Join", there is at least a second confirmation:

aa5abbdb6d.png

So assuming it’s a bot avatar, block them, I guess. Since my notices like this in firestorm are set to not ever pop up, I just clear stray group invitations when I check and clear system messages and group notices. I have them all set to not just pop up, too distracting! The only time I get a pop up is if I click on something myself or for sim restarts.

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, MelodyClone1 said:

. This should be banned. In fact, why is it not banned yet?

Maybe because what people do on their own land in SL is up to them alone.. LL has very few rules about what someone can do on their own land.

Its not like anyone is forced to go there — just don’t go to stores that spam more than once.

• Like 3

I think the best thing to do is be aware of what pop ups show up..Hit cancel on them all if they are coming in fast and trying to be overwhelming..Plus move away from the landing area where the triggers are..

I bounce all over the grid and really never have been tricked into any group.. if i get spammed right away when I get somewhere,I'll click cancel most of the time for objects and invites and look for LM's and rules only..

Then if i feel like joining a group afterwards,I'll look for it myself..

Best way to stop the spamming is to move from the landing area soon as you get there,even if you are still rezzing everything.. Hit the ground running..hehehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MelodyClone1 said:

Spamming an invite as soon as people land to your paid group is kinda desperate and pathetic. There are also people who put an inviter scripts to boxed items that trigger when you try to unbox, smh. Tbh sooner or later people will accidentally click "accept" instead of "decline" or "ignore". This should be banned. In fact, why is it not banned yet? I even consider it similar to phishing. One accidental click then poof, your 500L is gone.

Totally agree. I got stung but it was only for 50$L even so incredibly annoying. Having to watch the pop ups like a hawk in case its a $L pounce sucks.

7 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I think the best thing to do is be aware of what pop ups show up..Hit cancel on them all if they are coming in fast and trying to be overwhelming..Plus move away from the landing area where the triggers are..

I bounce all over the grid and really never have been tricked into any group.. if i get spammed right away when I get somewhere,I'll click cancel most of the time for objects and invites and look for LM's and rules only..

Then if i feel like joining a group afterwards,I'll look for it myself..

Best way to stop the spamming is to move from the landing area soon as you get there,even if you are still rezzing everything.. Hit the ground running..hehehehe

This. Develop the "knee-jerk" reaction (muscle-memory) to always click CANCEL as the default (without thinking about it) action and you'll be alright. This also doesn't really affect incoming purchases, etc., because you're usually actively waiting on those.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That's always the best thing to do in any store/event, although I admit if I land on someone's head at a crowded place because they've parked themselves on the landing point, I enjoy giving them a good shove. 😛 

• Like 3

Not only is there a confirmation dialog when you agree to join a group that has a joining fee, but in Firestorm you can set your Preferences to block all group join invitations to groups that charge a fee.

So anyone who manages to join a paid group "accidentally" has, in fact, been pretty careless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1543 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.