Anyone heard of "Speed Light Web Viewer?"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

An advertisement for this web service just popped-up on Facebook's Second Life Group - I suspect it is a scam to obtain SL account information. Does Linden Labs KNOW anything about this? I have seen no notices of it posted.

Hello there 👋

After long time of research, development and negotiations with Linden Lab our famous SmartBots team can proudly introduce the beta version of first-ever 100% web & mobile-friendly Viewer: https://speedlight.me 🙏

SpeedLight is a professional commercial Second Life viewer:
  • 100% browser-based, no downloads required
  • 100% mobile and tablet ready
  • Allows switching between devices without logging out
  • Allows keeping avatar online 24/7
  • IM history always available (even offline)

We've launched just recently, so more functions will be added overtime, such as 3D World View (Yes, you will be able to see SL from a browser!) and much more.

Check it out & try it out 😊
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It looks suspicious to me, too.  The first thing the page asks for is your SL username and password.

Of course, you would need those to sign in with ANY viewer.  But I would not enter my information on any web page like that.  Actual viewers are one thing...they are applications that are running on your computer and connect to SL.  A web page that does the same thing is another matter.

Since the announcement mentions the "SmartBots team" perhaps you should check with the SmartBots group in world and see if they have anything to do with this.  I did check their web page and there is no mention of them working on developing a mobile viewer.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 4

Speedlight.io is the page I got to after clicking the OP's link to speedlight.me.

I would REALLY like to hear something about it from someone I trust before "logging in" with that page.  The TPV Directory is not an absolute guarantee of safety; all a listing there means is that the developer signed a document that said they'd abide by LL's TPV policies.  Viewers have been listed there that later turned out to be less than honest. *cough*Emerald*cough*

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

To make an account you make a Speedlight password — where do you have to give a SL password?

I tried with an alt. After you create the speedlight account, you will be prompted to ad avatars to the viewer. you type the sl login and password there. The viewer is more like a chat viewer, took me few minutes to find out where everything was. I was kinda disapointed (very), cause the image I had of a web viewer was from one that we had years ago. This one gives you the top map where you are and you can chat to your friends and manage inventory - kinda like radegast viewer. But they just started, I hope they will do a 3d viewer. Thumbs up for them to try that. But I am still cautious, I used an alt.

• Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

To make an account you make a Speedlight password — where do you have to give a SL password?

Hmm.  The page I was shown said "user name" and "password".  I guess I jumped to conclusions when I thought it meant my SL password.  Thanks, Pam and Cesartje!

I have just now done a little more digging.  The TPV page lists Glaznah Gassner as the inworld contact point for SpeedLight.  Glaznah is indeed the founder of SmartBots, so there does appear to be a connection there.  SmartBots is a BIG thing in SL (I use them myself) so I would think that they would be unlikely to engage in anything as obviously fraudulent as account stealing.

I will also say that SmartBots has done more than just about anyone to integrate web based services with SL, letting you do things INSIDE Second Life while you are OUTSIDE Second Life.  Casper Technologies is a close second.

Calling @Glaznah Gassner!  Would you care to say something about all this?

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Hmm.  The page I was shown said "user name" and "password".  I guess I jumped to conclusions when I thought it meant my SL password.  Thanks, Pam and Cesartje!

I have just now done a little more digging.  The TPV page lists Glaznah Gassner as the inworld contact point for SpeedLight.  Glaznah is indeed the founder of SmartBots, so there does appear to be a connection there.  SmartBots is a BIG thing in SL (I use them myself) so I would think that they would be unlikely to engage in anything as obviously fraudulent as account stealing.

I will also say that SmartBots has done more than just about anyone to integrate web based services with SL, letting you do things INSIDE Second Life while you are OUTSIDE Second Life.  Casper Technologies is a close second.

Calling @Glaznah Gassner!  Would you care to say something about all this?

thank you for the info ♥

15 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I just wish we had a scripted alternative for sending group invites so I don't have to involve a bot, which either requires paying/trusting a third party for the service or the program or if doing it myself, another account, connection, bandwidth, recovery protocol when regions are going down or crash. IE, a major PITA.

Much as I fear and loathe the prospect of learning any more  new technology of any kind, I would do it if it enabled me to pay discounts or give inventory on my iPad, so I don’t have to drag a laptop with me when traveling. Can bots do that? They have always been a mystery to me.

The "stress attack" was mostly from me.  I am very leery of any post, IM, email, or chat entry that urges me to visit a site where I am immediately asked to enter my (what appeared to be) SL user name and password.

This is how accounts get phished.

But, at this point, this one appears to be legitimate.  Whew.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

it sounds to me like they jump in the gap the bright canopy left ... not realy sure why everybody gets a stress attack.

Only partly.  A post above says it is mainly for chatting and you can do some inventory management, but that it isn't a full blown viewer. 

The Bright Canopy thing was truly running the viewer via the web page - running the viewer on their own servers.  It would launch a few different viewers, including the SL Viewer and Firestorm.  I used it when I was traveling a year or so ago and I didn't have a decent laptop at the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It looks suspicious to me, too.  The first thing the page asks for is your SL username and password.

That's not true.

The signin page asks for Speedlight account details. You can't login with your SL account.

8c4e19bfc5.png

7217ea8b13.png

I created an account and added a very old test alt.

98c3990ec4.png

c137ae7671.png

Here's where you have to finally enter your password.

78599e57e1.png

And here we are:

ea02856527.png

I can see the avatar in-world and I sent a test IM.

f37745b610.png

Inventory management:

3163f0d687.png

No 3D view.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I like the idea of being able to do some inventory management without having to run a full viewer.  Granted, a lot of my inventory sorting would require being able to rez the item or try something on, but some organizing can be done just by seeing folders/items and being able to move things around.

17 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

That's fine, but I bet you're not using the official LL viewer to log into Second Life.

And you would lose that bet: Second Life Release 6.4.0.534193 (64bit)

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.