best veiwer

dann87

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

2 hours ago, dann87 said:

whats the best viewer to use for sl im currently using firestorm I wanted something better that is with taking photos thanks 

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Niran's Black Dragon is widely recognized as having more camera tools than just about any other viewer.

https://bitbucket.org/NiranV/black-dragon-viewer/downloads/

I agree, though the interface takes getting used to, and most of the "world features" are basic as with the LL viewer. But performance is astounding and the picture-taking tools (and just the default graphics) are OMG AMAZING! I have make the conscious deliberate decision to suffer the "getting used to it" curve to make it my main everyday viewer and now it all feels very natural to me. It can for anyone else as well.

(Though you may want to add some keyboard mapping for moving around unless you're a gamer LOL)

Best is ambiguous and dependent on personal preferences. 

The Linden made SL Viewer is the cutting edge new-feature-wise winner. When you need images for something like BoM, a feature not a tool, then the Linden Release Candidates and Project viewers are the choice.

Firestorm has the best Phototools in a handy interface. If you aren't technically oriented in graphic render tech then it is the dominating choice of photographers and machina makers.

Black Dragon has a completely different set of default settings for the render and looks much better for it. Plus, it has render features not available in other viewers. The tools for changing environment are awkward compared to Firestorm. They are more just the basic SL Viewer environment controls. However, they work with the render settings in BD's Machinima panel offer a better organized, always on-screen-together set of controls. Rather than a set of small panels you tab between in Firestorm.

EEP is coming and all this will change to some degree. Then which is best may change. Plus, EEP is taking WAY LONGER than planned. Some of the render engine problems are being fixed by new engineers hired specifically for that purpose and the coming Mac changes that drop OpenGL support (or retain a bad Apple made OpenGL driver without any support). Will SL move to Vulcan (OpenGL replacement) or add Apple Metal support? A lot of Lindens are Apple Mac fans... We don't know. The Lab isn't saying. I think something has to give as OpenGL ages out.

Edited by Nalates Urriah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.