Avocados & Avocatos & Death & Taxes & Religion & Viewer Tips & ...

Seicher Rae

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Eva Knoller said:

Did you read that Jane Fonda has stated that she will never buy another article of clothing again? It is commendable. Much easier to do at 82 years old than 42 years old, though.

Am I allowed to link articles here? I forget the rules.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a29741997/jane-fonda-red-coat/

That red coat is exquisite. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

Did you read that Jane Fonda has stated that she will never buy another article of clothing again? It is commendable. Much easier to do at 82 years old than 42 years old, though.

Am I allowed to link articles here? I forget the rules.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a29741997/jane-fonda-red-coat/

Yes I think so, as long as you are not trying to sell JANE Fonda’s red coat.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pamela Galli said:

I watch Jane’s Netflix show just because she is such a marvel. Unfortunately it is an unbearably stupid show, I can’t get though a whole episode without taking a break. But I always return.

I have heard that people love this show, and was thinking of giving it a go. It's pretty stupid? I am not a big fan of sitcoms, with the exception of Golden Girls ❤ and The Office.

14 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That's absolutely key. You can be sure that Jane Fonda and The Flake Girl laugh-snort daintily too.

I would expect no less of you.

Of course! I'm the real deal class act. This 

snortlaughdainty.gif

and not this

snortlaugh.gif

ETA: If you believe that, I have an orange bridge in California to sell you. ;)

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

I have heard that people love this show, and was thinking of giving it a go. It's pretty stupid? I am not a big fan of sitcoms, with the exception of Golden Girls ❤ and The Office.

I freaking love it and don't find it stupid at all. She and Lily Tomlin play perfectly off each other (and Dolly needs to be a guest star) and Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston are adorable as the old gay men. I also love that they don't sugar coat what it's like to be an aging woman. This season revolves about Jane Fonda having bad knees and not being able to get up off a low toilet. 

Is it a deep and meaningful drama? No. It's a cute sitcom and it's fun as hell. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

It’s cartoonish IMO. I loved the Office, recently watched most of it again.

• Thanks 1

1) I like Frankie and Grace. It is ground breaking. Is it high art? No.

2) Since we are singing praises of senior citizens, this was just in my email from Rollingstone. Roger Daltry ALWAYS looks like he's having fun, in all of his projects. A new Who song literally practiced at a London club. Warning: NSFW otherwise I'd post the youtube. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/watch-the-who-debut-new-songs-intimate-london-club-952212/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

If you are wealthy and live in a gorgeous home on the beach. Otherwise not so representative.

If you want to talk realism or relatability in sitcoms, though... Michael Scott would have never been hired, and if he had, he'd have never made it to management, and if he somehow had, Dunder Mifflin would have folded under the weight of the harassment lawsuits. 

1_FysiiprksyKfXyeXEvjbwQ.gif.f974c2d53d1f2598c25a494911431f57.gif

1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

If you want to talk realism or relatability in sitcoms, though... Michael Scott would have never been hired, and if he had, he'd have never made it to management, and if he somehow had, Dunder Mifflin would have folded under the weight of the harassment lawsuits. 

Oh man. The GM where I used to work for was almost as culturally sensitive as Michael Scott. He once yelled the "N" word down the hall to the UPS driver and had at least 7 (that we know of) sexual harassment suits against him.  He was finally fired when they found out he was leaving after the morning meeting each day to stand in the local convenience store buying lottery tickets.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

1_FysiiprksyKfXyeXEvjbwQ.gif.f974c2d53d1f2598c25a494911431f57.gif

Right. But no one thinks the office gives a realistic view of working in an office.

2 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Are there people who think all old women are rich and have beach houses?

Beth you said: 

18 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

love that they don't sugar coat what it's like to be an aging woman

We will just have to disagree, Beth. 

i wish I understood that quoting thing better. but apparently I don't do it right or there would be multiple quotes here from the people I wanted to echo or chime in with.

So since I don't have time to figure it out, I'm just going to wing it

1 - I just ordered chocolate for tomorrow - a 1 pound Hershey's milk chocolate bar and some Italian truffles that sounded intriguing

2 - I love Grace and Frankie! Frankie is a very exaggerated version of me but Grace is my inner parent who remembers all those unwritten rules and finds me lacking. I'm just sad that they are ending it after next season. I suspect that if you are not a boomer you might find them silly. But YMMV.

3 - you don't have to be rich and have a beach house, you can just wish you were

Just now, Pamela Galli said:

Beth you said: 

We will just have to disagree, Beth. 

I was talking about having bad knees, and trouble getting off toilets, and getting hand cramps from holding a vibrator, forgetfulness, having to make decisions about moving into assisted living, attending more and more funerals, all the aches and pains and back issues, and finding your car keys in the freezer, younger people starting to question your mind and judgement, 

Just as Friends spoke to a generation of younger people navigating adulthood - with Monica and Rachel living in an apartment that they would have never, ever, ever been able to afford, sitcoms are inherently cartoonish. They take reality and make it ludicrous. 

Also, the beach house was bought by both couples decades ago, Grace owned her own successful company, and Robert and Sol were lawyers. It isn't that unrealistic. 

7 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Also, I loved the Office but thought Parks & Rec (after the first season) was so much better.

Oh yes, I love me some Parks & Rec. But it just can’t beat The Office IMO. I was a hard core Jim and Pam shipper back in the day, so that colors my opinion.

1 minute ago, Eva Knoller said:

Oh yes, I love me some Parks & Rec. But it just can’t beat The Office IMO. I was a hard core Jim and Pam shipper back in the day, so that colors my opinion.

I loved Jim and Pam until they got married and Jim suddenly turned into the absolute worst.

And Parks & Rec had Little Sebastian (RIP).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.