The Maitreya v5 Hype(?) Thread

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Matty Luminos said:

Legacy content fits Ruth/Roth2.0 anyway, as its BOM-enabled, and uses alpha layers instead of a hud, and it can fit standard sizes in mesh clothes as easily as the classic avatar does. So even if Ruth/Roth2.0 were included with the default starter avatars, nothing prior becomes obsolete.

Agree 100%!

12 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

There has to be a reason they haven’t done that.

The most obvious reason is money why LL is not very interested to make extremely good looking system avatar. Ebbe has said that all the mesh bodies and mesh heads bring lots of money to SL economy. That's good for them. They don't care much about the extreme complexity the vast number of incompatible mesh body parts have brought to users. The money matters more, because they are a business, not a charity.

They sure know that well made system avatar would solve lots of problems. But what if it came very popular and people stopped buying mesh avatar parts? What would happen to the money flow? How to replace the income what the crazy amount of mesh bodies and mesh heads are bringing?

Anyway, I have always felt that it's never too late to start doing things right. If the present trend goes on, the number of incompatible mesh body parts will continue to grow forever. And SL will grow ever more confusing and difficult to use, what comes to avatar accessories.

• Like 2

I have a question that I think is a really stupid question, but I don't know how to fix it. I am really new, ten days old now and I've done well with my body and learning how to make things work. BUT I have ladybugs on my Maitreya feet. I have no idea why they are there. Help? Yes, it's okay to laugh at me.

5 minutes ago, Elaloy said:

I have a question that I think is a really stupid question, but I don't know how to fix it. I am really new, ten days old now and I've done well with my body and learning how to make things work. BUT I have ladybugs on my Maitreya feet. I have no idea why they are there. Help? Yes, it's okay to laugh at me.

Need pics...

On 2/6/2020 at 7:10 PM, Elaloy said:

Ladybugs? We definitely need pics. And a list of everything in your "worn" list.

On a purely technical note, is there any reason why Maitreya cannot add butt physics to the body without breaking existing clothes? Changes to the shape of the body can be done, just not without invalidating existing content.

The question came up in another discussion, and I don't know enough about the specifics of body making to answer this one.

46 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

On a purely technical note, is there any reason why Maitreya cannot add butt physics to the body without breaking existing clothes? Changes to the shape of the body can be done, just not without invalidating existing content.

The question came up in another discussion, and I don't know enough about the specifics of body making to answer this one.

Only that your butt would clip through old clothing, since Maitreya clothing isn't (generally) rigged for physical butts.

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Thanks 1

When avatar boobs started to jiggle, old clothes was broken then too. I haven't heard any complaints. People learned to turn physics on and off. Those who wanted their old clothes, kept it turned off. As the new wardrobe was growing, they forget the old.

I have sorted some inventory and it is a wonder, how much totally rubbish I have. I think I could live with a Maitreya update that ruins old clothes. Maybe. Depends upon if it is possible to avoid it, like turning off physics. Ruining all the previous wardrobe if the body itself is changed? Probably would be an issue.

1 hour ago, Cinos Field said:

Only that your butt would clip through old clothing, since Maitreya clothing isn't (generally) rigged for physical butts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Adding Butt-Jiggle to the Maitreya body is possible. But, that would make it incompatible with all existing 'made for Maitreya' clothes.

The way that works is by the body being rigged* to bones in the skeleton (techy talk: armature). The SL skeleton is a mix of Bento and pre-Bento bones. Not all of those bones are connected to an appearance slider. Maitreya did NOT rig the butt to the bones and sliders that Avatar Physics  uses to make Butt-Jiggle. That rigging is visible in the Maitreya Dev Kit.

*Clothes are made using the kit and rigged to the same bones and sliders as the body. The 'rigging' process assigns values to each vertex in the body/clothes that tell the viewer what to do with that vertex when a "BONE" or slider moves. A vertex in the clothes  and the nearby one in the body maintain a distance and position from the BONE. When the clothes use the same weights as the body things move together. THe body and clothes are 'independent'. Neither knows about the other. If Maitreya changes the body and uploads a new version all the clothes makers would have to update their clothes and upload clothes with the new values. Otherwise the vertices would not move 'together'.

Everybody has to use the same numbers on every vertex or you get a bad fit and lots of poke-through. So, a new version butt would/could bounce. But, existing clothes would not bounce.

Maitreya's choice is to remain compatible with your existing clothes or try and force you to buy all new...

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/3/2020 at 8:25 PM, pilsbury1440 said:

when you load all from the stick, it doesn't remove any existing alpha hiding

I might be late so y'all probably knows this already, but I got the 5.0.2 update today, and that was one of the fixes:

Changes V5.0.2:

- Left breast had a hairline gap at high altitudes = Solved
- Save stick 'load alpha' was not replacing but adding alpha = Fixed
- Some boots using specific versions of the V4 auto-hide would hide the hands instead of the feet = Fixed
- Specific versions of V1 appliers would not apply the feet texture to the skin = Fixed
- Some Omega appliers for fingernails and toenails were not recognized = Fixed
- Left-clicking on in-world objects while in Mouselook didn't work = Fixed

- Tattoo (system) layer Glam Affair skin 'Asia" has wrong textures = Solved
- Applier script V5 for "MATERIALS" notecards didn't work = Fixed and replaced in the materials kit at the store

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Angelina String said:

Left breast had a hairline gap at high altitudes = Solved

I saw someone asking about this in the group yesterday, so I checked for myself and sent a picture to one of the mods. Seeing a hotfix released that quickly speaks volumes to me. I've gotten so used to the "file a complaint and pray" approach to customer service. Glad to see they are on top of it during the immediate roll out.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, missyrideout said:

I saw someone asking about this in the group yesterday, so I checked for myself and sent a picture to one of the mods. Seeing a hotfix released that quickly speaks volumes to me. I've gotten so used to the "file a complaint and pray" approach to customer service. Glad to see they are on top of it during the immediate roll out.  

It's amazing how Maitreya have gone from 'soon'(tm) to 'Now!'.   Just spending a few minutes watching the conversation on the Friends chat is an eye opener.

The only thing I have left on my wish-list is a way to replace V4 (and private) Autohide in no-mod clothes...

1 hour ago, anna2358 said:

The only thing I have left on my wish-list is a way to replace V4 (and private) Autohide in no-mod clothes...

v5 AutoHide allows the user to bring up the menu and either remove or alter the AutoHide configuration even in v5 clothing. Unfortunately there is no way to make that retroactive because v4 simply didn't have the code to enable it.

But we can have it going forward as designers switch to the new script

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

v5 AutoHide allows the user to bring up the menu and either remove or alter the AutoHide configuration even in v5 clothing. Unfortunately there is no way to make that retroactive because v4 simply didn't have the code to enable it.

But we can have it going forward as designers switch to the new script

Just a little information post:

If you attach a V5-Autohide-in-a-prim set up to exactly the same cuts as the embedded V4-Autohide in the no-mod clothes BEFORE you put on the clothes, then when you remove them both the cuts are 'repaired'.

Someone helped me to work this out on the Friends chat yesterday (big hug).  I use CTS Wardrobe to automate clothing, and this is very useful.  I attach the V5-Autohide-in-a-prim (a-prim) to the same attachment point, so when Wardrobe takes it off, the a-prim comes off too.  Sequencing is important, just like with textures on a BoM.  IM me for more if you need it.

And thank you, Gryphon for all the superb support.

• Like 1

The best part for me is the ability to use system alphas. That's opened up a lot of classic/standard size mesh clothing that doesn't work with the hud alpha cuts. It makes saving outfits much easier too. Just toss a system alpha in there instead of messing with save slots and "usb sticks". Although I do wish that a foot alpha would hide the toenails too...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

The best part for me is the ability to use system alphas. That's opened up a lot of classic/standard size mesh clothing that doesn't work with the hud alpha cuts. It makes saving outfits much easier too. Just toss a system alpha in there instead of messing with save slots and "usb sticks". Although I do wish that a foot alpha would hide the toenails too...

You can hide the toenails by applying a transparent polish to the nails. That would require a save stick though and not just a system alpha.

• Thanks 1

Mait update is a fab one. I'm pretty much on Legacy (BOM) all the time now but keep Mait updated and current. I have noticed that the mapping has changed slightly between v4.1 and v5.0.x. A positive effect is that the prevalent skin texture smear that I have noticed on all Mait av's down low on the butt cheeks near the valley .. crotch, has been addressed. Much smoother now. Side effect is that at least for the legs, texture stretch (mapping) has changed a little. Applied & BOM hose I made for v4.1, which applied near perfect, now have minor crookedness on band edges and the back seam ... on v5. The removal of onion layers to be later added back on a needs basis is grand. Always wondered why that was never done before. Maybe there was no need but now with BOM popular, there is. Hoping Legacy does same with the outer layers and does same with the extra 4 foot styles it carries around with it all the time. An uncut (for alpha) body option would also be nice, for Mait and Legacy both. Mait's hud based alpha cutting and restoration is quite fast, Legacy's not so much but tolerable. Alpha BOM on either is very fast. It's the future and a welcome blast from the past ...

4 minutes ago, clone00345 said:

Pardon me, I never heard of the save stick. What is it and how does it work?

It is inside the folder with your body. Please refer to the user's manual for instructions. You have easy access to the manual on the main hud, misc tab, help button.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.