How many UK residents will be able to afford SL after Brexit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

It never hurts to ask.  Here are some deals I'm finding by looking myself:

Best broadband deals
  • Cheapest standard speed b'band & line (10Mb+) Shell Energy: equiv £10.74/mth. Post Office: equiv £11.74/mth.
  • Cheapest fast fibre & line (30Mb+) Plusnet: equiv £17.83/mth. Post Office: equiv £17.90/mth.
  • Cheapest superfast fibre & line (60Mb+) TalkTalk: equiv £18.07/mth. Plusnet: equiv £20.83/mth.

why are you quoting me bb speeds and costs when I never complained about them?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feel like I'm sitting across from a milionairs wife, who clutches her pearls as she sobbs into her silk tissue, telling me how the price of oysters and Lamborghinis has risen in recent years. T

Not only can I, personally, not even imagine spending that much money monthly in SL, I cannot even fathom the concept of someone feeling like owning a homestead (or similar expenditures) is almost a n

I would cut back to zero land and cancel my Premium subscription if I had to. But the difference between $99 at an exchange rate of 1.4 and an exchange rate of 1.1 is about 20 quid a year. That's 38p

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

why are you quoting me bb speeds and costs when I never complained about them?

You replied to my post that said the OP could look into more affordable internet plans and your post poo-pooed my idea.

Nevermind.  

• Like 2
Just now, FairreLilette said:

You replied to my post that said the OP could look into more affordable internet plans and your post poo-pooed my idea.

Nevermind.  

hmmm I did? goes to look back....my main comments have been op doesnt need a full homestead and nothing about internet but may have accidentally replied to you by mistake

• Like 1
1 minute ago, KanryDrago said:

hmmm I did? goes to look back....my main comments have been op doesnt need a full homestead and nothing about internet but may have accidentally replied to you by mistake

sorry yes did get the wrong quote to reply to I guess looking back

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Michaelatv Destiny said:

USA has a unique position

There are so many variables that go into standard of living calculations, and in many respects the US is similar to Europe. But the fact that thousands die in the US because they don't have access to affordable health insurance causes the UK to have the advantage. So in theory I don't see why LL should give you a break at all, in fact maybe they should charge you more!  lol

But who has it worse in the world is not really the point. It just wouldn't be feasible for LL to act as some kind of monitor of world currencies and adjust prices accordingly.

I can see why you are concerned with a more conservative administration and problems Brexit might cause though. It looks like austerity measures are already quite bad there, and looking at Trump's budget I see cuts for the disabled and other vulnerable groups here in the future too.

5 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I think we are much more likely to see the impact of the coronavirus epidemic on the markets.  Any effect from Brexit will be down in the noise.

Freaking out about this new case in the Bay area where my daughter lives...and watching the total climb all over the world..

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

12 hours ago, Michaelatv Destiny said:

I just dont see LL since they hiked tiers up a long time ago

They did in fact lower them, not raise them, and have not raised them, in ages. Land is easier to own now than it used to be, and cheaper. 

dont seem to realize the world and costs of living has risen dramatically, but unemployment driven by cheap chinese labour has unsettled the status quo, for many OTHER countries.

Cost of living tends to go up pretty much everywhere in the developed world, even if it may seem stagnate at times. Personal perceptions play a very large role to what one deems "affordable". For instance, people living in a state here with a lower cost of living, that then relocated to a state with a higher cost of living, would, surely, struggle, unless their income actually met that higher cost of living (and quite often, it does not, but, I digress..). Despite what many think about the unemployment rate and job availability in the US right now..there are still PLENTY of areas that struggle with unemployment. Where I live, happens to be one of them, which is something that a LOT of people don't realize is actually still pretty prevalent in all of the areas it has been for years. It is areas that were not struggling as much which have, slightly, improved...not all of us. That's a bit of a red herring, at best, and I'm not going to get into a political tit for tat on why people are falling for that hook line and sinker....Fact is, unemployment isn't up everywhere, or even most of the US, just *some* places (and most of those some are big enough to register on a radar..the rest of us aren't yet blips), and for *some* people, that's enough...apparently, lol. 

USA has a unique position, it can almost produce everything it needs without huge imports.

We COULD be in a unique situation, absolutely, the problem is..we aren't, and we most definitely won't be any time soon. In fact, we're pretty damn reliant on a LOT of imports and it's kind of screwing us...well, most of us. 

Other things USA and canada don't pay hardly any for is internet access, and phone line charges

I have absolutely no idea where you got this. Yes, we don't pay phone line charges directly without having a phone (but we do still pay for the infrastructure of such), but that's the only accurate part of that statement. We pay out the butt for internet in most places, very few instances can one find decently priced (imo, others' opinions vary on decently priced) internet. While yes there are very, very few instances where one might be able to find something more affordable...there really aren't any "oh, you're poor, we'll charge you less for internet" deals going on here and I think a lot of the people that say there are, are blowing smoke up people's butts on that one. It's been proposed, many, many times, that is offering internet service at a discounted rate for people who fall below the poverty line (because of the myriad of benefits the internet brings) but there isn't a single ISP in my state that does this (and they're all national ISPs so, the same would be true in every state in which they sell).   Where I live, the internet sucks, and it's expensive to boot, lol.

but fibre optic

This isn't even available for most of the US, only 33% of the US has the potential for capability, but not yet all of the infrastructure in place even in those areas (and trust me, we all need it!). It's mostly only available in bigger cities, though even those areas are limited because of other infrastructure problems, lol, (that should tell you something about the kinds of services we can get). There are very large portions of the US where internet capability is even more limited, and you'd be lucky if your dsl can even get online a couple days every week..(and I'm not exaggerating, that's actually true). Loads of places in the US have no internet capability at all. Some of the fees you pay, that we don't, are because you have an infrastructure we don't (and I'm not saying I necessarily agree with your fees either, just saying they do go, in part, to pay for that). If we had a better infrastructure, we'd have to pay for it too.

Then there's another wrench to throw into the "better infrastructure=higher costs" plan. We pay a lot more where I live for certain things than others do in other areas, and those others have a much better infrastructure than we do here. You'd think the nicer, the well maintained infrastructure should come at a higher cost because it offers more (read: better) to the end user, and not only requires but actually receives, more maintenance. But, nope, we pay more, for less... (if you're confused, join the club, I hate it too, lol)

I meant what I said earlier though, that you really can enjoy yourself in sl on a limited rl budget (or none at all), if you want to put the effort in, and the forums is a really great place to start looking for ideas, I mean, if you want them (and that you goes for anyone). I'm not even going to say "don't have a homestead", because even if you never bring a bit of rl money into sl, you can rent, you can make money, you can buy the things you want to buy, and you can truly enjoy sl. Just like rl, it's going to take some effort, but it's absolutely doable, for anyone, and everyone. I am sure a lot of people in sl understand what it's like to have a limited rl budget, and why they understand doesn't even matter, just that they do. Yet, tons of people are enjoying sl right this very minute, and a whole lot of them don't put money in.

13 hours ago, Michaelatv Destiny said:

todays pump price in uk is around £6.50 per gallon, according to XE currency converter, that's still just under $9 per gallon.

stop comparing apples and pears .. a UK gallon is 20% more than a USA gallon
3,78541178 vs 4.54609188  liters

On 2/1/2020 at 2:36 AM, Matty Luminos said:

I'll just leave this here. https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/United-Kingdom/gasoline_prices/

At today's prices, and with today's exchange rate, ours is US$6.29 per gallon. California is cheap.

US gasoline taxes average around 55 cents (US) per gallon, including state and federal taxes.  Most states do not assess sales tax on gas.  The UK, by contrast, charges $2.82/gal.  Then, the UK (and I believe all EU states, but could be wrong) adds on their 20%+ VAT - only a handful of US states charge sales tax on gasoline, and even then our highest states are under 10% sales tax.

In other words, most of the difference in cost for you is your nation's decision to heavily tax it.  But, at least you don't have as far to drive.

4 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

They did in fact lower them, not raise them, and have not raised them, in ages. Land is easier to own now than it used to be, and cheaper. 

Cost of living tends to go up pretty much everywhere in the developed world, even if it may seem stagnate at times. Personal perceptions play a very large role to what one deems "affordable". For instance, people living in a state here with a lower cost of living, that then relocated to a state with a higher cost of living, would, surely, struggle, unless their income actually met that higher cost of living (and quite often, it does not, but, I digress..). Despite what many think about the unemployment rate and job availability in the US right now..there are still PLENTY of areas that struggle with unemployment. Where I live, happens to be one of them, which is something that a LOT of people don't realize is actually still pretty prevalent in all of the areas it has been for years. It is areas that were not struggling as much which have, slightly, improved...not all of us. That's a bit of a red herring, at best, and I'm not going to get into a political tit for tat on why people are falling for that hook line and sinker....Fact is, unemployment isn't up everywhere, or even most of the US, just *some* places (and most of those some are big enough to register on a radar..the rest of us aren't yet blips)

I have absolutely no idea where you got this. Yes, we don't pay phone line charges directly without having a phone (but we do still pay for the infrastructure of such), but that's the only accurate part of that statement. We pay out the butt for internet in most places, very few instances can one find decently priced (imo, others' opinions vary on decently priced) internet. While yes there are very, very few instances where one might be able to find something more affordable...there really aren't any "oh, you're poor, we'll charge you less for internet" deals going on here and I think a lot of the people that say there are, are blowing smoke up people's butts on that one. It's been proposed, many, many times, that is offering internet service at a discounted rate for people who fall below the poverty line (because of the myriad of benefits the internet brings) but there isn't a single ISP in my state that does this (and they're all national ISPs so, the same would be true in every state in which they sell).   Where I live, the internet sucks, and it's expensive to boot, lol.

Regarding your last paragraph here about the internet...it's ATT that offers low cost internet to low income persons.  The plan is called ACCESS ATT.  

For those who qualify, ACCESS ATT is 5 to 10 dollars a month.  If there are others, I have not heard all that is available out there.  But with ACCESS ATT, a low income person can get full subscription TV (cable) for 35 dollars a month.  The internet is 5 to 10 dollars a month.  

That's why I said it never hurts to ask because you don't know what plans may be available to you unless you ask.  

AT&T is offering low-cost wireline home Internet service to qualifying households:

• With at least one resident who participates in the U.S. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and
  • With an address in AT&T’s 21-state service area, at which we offer wireline home Internet service, and
  • Without outstanding debt for AT&T fixed Internet service within the last six months or outstanding debt incurred under this program.
  • If you are a California resident and at least one member of your household receives Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits you also may qualify based on the same requirements that apply to SNAP participants.

Service availability and speed may vary by address. AT&T will assign you the fastest of these speed tiers available* where you live:

• 10 megabits per second, for $10 per month**
  •  5 megabits per second, for $10 per month
  •  3 megabits per second, for $5 per month
  • 1.5 megabits per second, for $5 per month
  • 768 kilobits per second, for $5 per month
Edited by FairreLilette
29 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Regarding your last paragraph here about the internet...it's ATT that offers low cost internet to low income persons.  The plan is called ACCESS ATT.  

For those who qualify, ACCESS ATT is 5 to 10 dollars a month.

For those that don't know, AT&T are liars (that's not snark towards you, but rather, them). They're some of the people blowing smoke up people's butts about the services available to people with a lower income. 

They provide internet service in 21 states (or parts of them) in the US. Of those 21 states, not even 1/4 actually offer this program (in the states where available, it's only available in certain parts, not state wide, it's actually very, very limited). AT&T is my phone provider (and I'm not fond of that fact, but, limited choices), and they provide internet service in my state . Access is not available here, and never will be, according to them.

You are right, it's always worth asking and looking, and people should, because you never know. I'm just saying the belief that the US pays less for internet is absolute hogwash, because we generally don't, and we often have far inferior service(s) compared to a lot of other countries where things like fiber optic is more prevalent. 

1 hour ago, Tari Landar said:

For those that don't know, AT&T are liars (that's not snark towards you, but rather, them). They're some of the people blowing smoke up people's butts about the services available to people with a lower income. 

They provide internet service in 21 states (or parts of them) in the US. Of those 21 states, not even 1/4 actually offer this program (in the states where available, it's only available in certain parts, not state wide, it's actually very, very limited). AT&T is my phone provider (and I'm not fond of that fact, but, limited choices), and they provide internet service in my state . Access is not available here, and never will be, according to them.

You are right, it's always worth asking and looking, and people should, because you never know. I'm just saying the belief that the US pays less for internet is absolute hogwash, because we generally don't, and we often have far inferior service(s) compared to a lot of other countries where things like fiber optic is more prevalent. 

Well, the ACCESS service is here in Southern California although it is relatively "new" from my understanding.  The technology to offer it here in Southern California is relatively new, I mean.  

California has a lot of plans for low income peoples...a lot.  Single mother's can make up a large percentage of that.  

Also, she said she was a Senior so I thought why not ask as in California we've had discount programs for Seniors since I was a little girl.  Grandpa received some cheaper meal deals, theater tickets, all kinds of stuff.   So, senior discounts have been around a long time. 

Edited by FairreLilette
Just now, FairreLilette said:

Well, the ACCESS service is here in Southern California although it is relatively "new" from my understanding.  The technology to offer it here in Southern California is relatively new, I mean.  

California has a lot of plans for low cost people's...a lot.  

Also, she said she was a Senior so I thought why not ask as in California we've had discount programs for Seniors since I was a little girl.  Grandpa received some cheaper meal deals, theater tickets, all kinds of stuff.   So, senior discounts have been around a long time. 

It's ALWAYS worth asking, because of course various discounts for all kinds of things exist all over the world and have for ages. It's worth looking into, no matter where you live. 

I commented on the idea that we all pay less for internet in the US, and the belief that we have a lot of programs for cheaper internet for people with lower incomes, when we don't really have what people think, or are told, we do. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

It's ALWAYS worth asking, because of course various discounts for all kinds of things exist all over the world and have for ages. It's worth looking into, no matter where you live. 

I commented on the idea that we all pay less for internet in the US, and the belief that we have a lot of programs for cheaper internet for people with lower incomes, when we don't really have what people think, or are told, we do. 

That's too bad it's here and not there.  It's kinda weird.  

I know how much cable and internet and phone can be.  Obama came out with free phones for those who qualify too because there are many single Mom's that cannot afford the phones the way they are today.  The Obama phone is completely free in California.  Trump was thinking of coming out with his own phone (the Trump phone) but never did OR hasn't yet.  California does have a lot of programs for single Mom's especially.  It's done some good thankfully.  

4 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

That's too bad it's here and not there.  It's kinda weird.  

I know how much cable and internet and phone can be.  Obama came out with free phones for those who qualify too because there are many single Mom's that cannot afford the phones the way they are today.  The Obama phone is completely free in California.  Trump was thinking of coming out with his own phone (the Trump phone) but never did OR hasn't yet.  California does have a lot of programs for single Mom's especially.  It's done some good thankfully.  

Government phones are available in all states (to qualifying households that follow whatever guidelines are set up by the provider they get it through), that's a federal thing. The things that vary on them are whether or not data is included (the phones are provided by phone providers, like Qlink, Safelink, Assurance, Life Wireless, etc.) and how many minutes and/or texts.  It's not really an Obama phone, people just call it that, because they became more widely used and implemented as a policy when he was in office and the name stuck lol. With the phone you get a certain number of texts and/or minutes and possibly some limited data. It's not a lot, but it's plenty for those that truly need it, and a godsend at that (and similar things exists in other places of the world, as well, they just differ a bit). I'm glad things like that do exist.  But, often times people confuse that with "OMG they don't pay for phone service....", especially outside of the US, lol. 

The only reason Trump wants a "trump phone" is so he can slap his name on something else that has nothing to do with him and claim he's doing some good, lol. He didn't institute them and couldn't really even if he wanted to, because that program already exists. 

First full business day of currency trading since Brexit was a done deal and the Pound is trading in the same range it's been for weeks.  So much for the gloom and doom of a crash.  Now, if they cannot get a reasonable trade deal in place before the end of the year, you might see the pound drop (or rise, for that matter, if, say, UK works out good deals with US, China, and Japan on their own).  Of course, it seems unlikely that Boris will concede honoring ECJ ruling as binding on the UK, among other demands the EU has. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.