How many UK residents will be able to afford SL after Brexit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Well, I think a bit high gas prices are acceptable (although those are usually more pushed by environmental concerns and the outlook that the necessary ressources for gas aren't endless and getting the last drop of it becomes increasingly more expensive...), if in return I never have to fear experiancing one of the many horror stories I hear from the US, where you might aswell shot yourself in the head, if you are poor and get cancer or a chronic illness.

Any half-way educated person knows its not free. Nobody with a working brain claims its free in a sense of "paid with love and air". Anyone who works sees the cut taken out of their salary each month for taxes and social security. But its free in terms of "you don't pay the bill".

I love replying to someone that was talking about gas prices in our country in one of the states,then get the whole other side of the pond chiming in on how silly I am for noticing and agreeing with them..

One minute it is so rough over there,then the next it's so much better than over here.. You all can't have your cake and eat it too..

The OP came at me, I didn't come at them.. So I threw something back..

Now i have to take you all on?

I'm gonna have to do some stretches first..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

I certainly am not saying the eu had no advantages, for me personally though the disadvantages outweighed the advantages by a huge amount. For example I am extremely pleased that the UK wont be implementing the madness of the new eu copyright rules (specifically article 13 which was changed to article 17)

On that latter point I'm with you even as a remainer...  That directive was such a piece of crap it should never have seen the light of day.

I think the EU is a bit of a victim of its own success. There are nations in the EU who clearly have a vision of a "federal Europe" - which COULD work but it would need to be something that the members signed up to with open eyes. That wasn't the case with the "creeping federalism" that happened as the EU grew out of the EEC. That wasn't what a lot of countries signed up for - including the UK. It's probable that if that had been stated up front as the intended end-state that the UK would not have joined when it did, but possible that it might have subsequently joined. Either way though, whether it did or not, the whole Brexit issue would be moot because we would be getting what we signed up for. As it stands, the progress towards that end goal has justifiably alienated a lot of people - and that alienation boiled over into Brexit, which I personally believe (my own opinion, so counts for about as much as a fart in a tornado) is going to be worse for the UK than either of "what we signed up for" or "what we got"

This thread has become so derailed it's unreal, but in response to the OP: My SL won't change at all.

Last year I got tired of spending so much money inworld but wanted to still be able to keep up with my favourite hobby (Shopping! Ugh!) - so I started a small store of my own, which in turn began to pay for all of my SL expenses, now I do not upload at all, and my little store will continue to fund my SL regardless of Brexit.

If I didn't have the store, I would have cut back my spending according to what I was comfortable with putting into the game, and IF our currency tanks due to Brexit, then I would simply cut back further. It's true, we don't NEED a lot of the things in SL that cost us money, we just like/enjoy them. Perhaps if our post-Brexit currency value drops enough to restrict your SL passions you can find ways in SL to earn the money to fund them.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

On that latter point I'm with you even as a remainer...  That directive was such a piece of crap it should never have seen the light of day.

I think the EU is a bit of a victim of its own success. There are nations in the EU who clearly have a vision of a "federal Europe" - which COULD work but it would need to be something that the members signed up to with open eyes. That wasn't the case with the "creeping federalism" that happened as the EU grew out of the EEC. That wasn't what a lot of countries signed up for - including the UK. It's probable that if that had been stated up front as the intended end-state that the UK would not have joined when it did, but possible that it might have subsequently joined. Either way though, whether it did or not, the whole Brexit issue would be moot because we would be getting what we signed up for. As it stands, the progress towards that end goal has justifiably alienated a lot of people - and that alienation boiled over into Brexit, which I personally believe (my own opinion, so counts for about as much as a fart in a tornado) is going to be worse for the UK than either of "what we signed up for" or "what we got"

A lot of the problem was the uk's own parliament as well, as we saw after the referendum most mp's were still wedded to the eu . We never had a party to vote for that could win and be in governement that wasn't happy to drag us deeper in. If we had referendums on maastricht and lisbon I am pretty sure that one or the other would have been rejected

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I love replying to someone that was talking about gas prices in our country in one of the states,then get the whole other side of the pond chiming in on how silly I am for noticing and agreeing with them..

One minute it is so rough over there,then the next it's so much better than over here.. You all can't have your cake and eat it too..

The OP came at me, I didn't come at them.. So I threw something back..

Now i have to take you all on?

I'm gonna have to do some stretches first..

I'm sorry Ceka, if I came off as too aggressiv. I didn't mean to (stupid written text, grr!) 🙁

I think those debates (about gas prices, health care, taxes etc.) are often affected by a lot of build up sensitivy, where everyone is somewhat aware about the downsides of their countries system/reality but also super protective, when critic comes from the outside, as if it was a personal attack. This is probably some kind of universal patriotism most of us aren't even aware of.

Please feel hugged from across the pond.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

I agree.  Nobody signed up for a "federated Europe", they (voters) signed up for a massive free trade zone so collectively they were on par with the US and Japan (China not being a major player at the time).  What they got was elected and unelected bureaucrats who saw the gravy train was better the more they made the EU into a de-facto political union, with never ending judicial and legislative decisions that incrementally ate away at sovereignty.  I mostly saw it on an employment front - every month or two one of the newsletters I subscribed to would have a story about how another EU decision was forcing a change on employment law in a country we did business in.  Issues like immigration and the rich countries having to bail out poor and foolish countries (ie. Greece) were far more visible to the average voter.

The US experienced something similar, a conflict between the desire for power to be held among the states and power to be primarily in the hands of the federal government.  We resolved that issue in 1865.  Now, it's like the 9th and 10th amendments don't exist, and the Interstate Commerce Clause along with restrictions on federal largesse to force and bully the states into doing what the feds want is just taken for granted.  Unintended consequences, they are a female dog.

1 hour ago, Syo Emerald said:

I'm sorry Ceka, if I came off as too aggressiv. I didn't mean to (stupid written text, grr!) 🙁

I think those debates (about gas prices, health care, taxes etc.) are often affected by a lot of build up sensitivy, where everyone is somewhat aware about the downsides of their countries system/reality but also super protective, when critic comes from the outside, as if it was a personal attack. This is probably some kind of universal patriotism most of us aren't even aware of.

Please feel hugged from across the pond.

It's my fault really..I was fired up before I seen your post and shouldn't let myself get fired up so easily.. It's been a long work week..Even my husband is staying clear for now,tucked away out in the work shop most of the time,so far..

I haven't even seen the kids other than in passing..I think their father told them to stay clear as well...hehehehe

I'm sorry for getting a little crazy there for a bit.. I usually respond much better than that and will try harder in the future..

Hugs:SwingingFriends:

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Hey now, that seemed like a hostile, flaming, personal attack.

Poor diddums! 😏

1 hour ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Did you know it burns different colors depending on what you've eaten?

And you wonder why no one takes you anywhere.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Another reason for the pound's likely struggle after Brexit is the United Kingdom's large outstanding debt. By the time the referendum vote takes place, the U.K. national debt will reach past 1.72 trillion pounds. This represents approximately 90% of the country's gross domestic product (GDP). If leaving the EU triggers a recession, as the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and British Treasury have predicted, the British government may struggle to meet its debt obligations.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/forex-currencies/070516/how-brexit-can-impact-euro-and-us-dollar.asp

This that I posted above may be the "real" problem.

With leaving the EU, Britain could essentially widen it's trade and have more "choice" to get better prices, etc.

Not that it would happen overnight, but eventually.

With the above situation, I don't think there was any other choice.  And left or right or in the middle doesn't seem to matter when Britain's debt is taking up 90% of it's GDP.

Edited by FairreLilette

With the greatest respect, Tolya - I'm afraid your view of the european experiment mirrors your view of the American experiment. Having lived in both, those "talking points" ring as hollow as the PACs and think tanks that spawned them. I suggest you explore other news sources than Fox. Australian oligarchs probably aint the ones you want to tell you what to think.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

For a lot of those of us that voted leave it was for reasons of control of our own destinies scylla. It has been an open secret admitted by many in national governments that if you want to put in something you wont get past your own parliament get the eu to implement. One of britains ministers came out and openly admitted this in about 2012.

As a country we could elect who we liked to our governement, we could love their manifesto, elect them on the basis of what they said they wanted to do....then get told when they got to power sorry we cant do that after all because its against eu rules. Sorry not acceptable to a lot of us.

Oh sure. I think there are a lot of good reasons to criticize the EU. The fact that critiques come from both the left and the right are telling. My point was not that it was "wrong" to support Brexit -- lots of people with whom I am ideologically largely in agreement wanted out too -- but rather that one needs to be wary of one's "fellow travelers." It is a pretty indisputable fact that the Leave campaign wasn't at all shy about playing to xenophobia and fear -- and, although time will tell, that has had an influence on the shape that a post-Brexit Britain is likely to have.

But that is by no means to suggest (and I'll address this to @Garnet Psaltery as well) that everyone, or even a majority, of Leavers fall into that camp.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

For a lot of those of us that voted leave it was for reasons of control of our own destinies scylla. It has been an open secret admitted by many in national governments that if you want to put in something you wont get past your own parliament get the eu to implement. One of britains ministers came out and openly admitted this in about 2012.

As a country we could elect who we liked to our governement, we could love their manifesto, elect them on the basis of what they said they wanted to do....then get told when they got to power sorry we cant do that after all because its against eu rules. Sorry not acceptable to a lot of us.

I just wish to thank you because I learned something from your post. I never knew this and it gives a different perspective on things to think upon. I'll be moving to the UK in less than two years now, so every side is so important for me to understand.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That's what I was comparing is,state prices with each other.. I'm paying 2.06 where I live.

California's avg is twice that at the moment and not at 5.00.

No, the price of gasoline is not double 2.06.  It is 5 last time I saw about two weeks ago.  But, this is the price for the greater Los Angeles area.  I do not know the price in the whole state of California.  But, it's not $4.12...it's 5.  

Edited by FairreLilette

4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

The average price of a litre of fuel in the UK is now around £1.28 for petrol and £1.34 for diesel. But how much it costs to fill up can vary from street to street and town to town.

at the bbc page:
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-21238363

hardly half of what you state

I looked at that US$12.50/gallon and thought something was fishy about it.

I pay £1.33-ish for petrol in my area (rural, and the cost of driving to the nearest supermarket for cheaper fuel doesn't pan out). The average is £1.24, according to the never-reliable-font-of-all-knowledge, the BBC (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21238363 - 2019-12-23). I did some simple arithmetic based on my £1.33/litre:-

1 litre = 0.219969 US gallons

£1.33 = US$1.76 (today's exchange rate)

Therefore, 1 US gallon = 1.76/0.219969 = US$8.00 at UK prices. That's still nastily high, in my opinion, but not as high as US$12.50.

Have I made a mistake with my calculations? Please correct me if I have, because splashing silly figures across the internet does nobody any good.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Odaks said:

I looked at that US$12.50/gallon and thought something was fishy about it.

I pay £1.33

Therefore, 1 US gallon = 1.76/0.219969 = US$8.00 at UK prices. That's still nastily high, in my opinion, but not as high as US$12.50.

i see this on the web .. of course always with some margins around it..
taking your 1.33 L x 3,78541178 ( gallon) = 5.035 --> 6.65 usd
6e4433f8fa89c9f0c1c57c88bfa2bbf2.png

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

No, the price of gasoline is not double 2.06.  It is 5 last time I saw about two weeks ago.  But, this is the price for the greater Los Angeles area.  I do not know the price in the whole state of California.  But, it's not $4.12...it's 5.  

I must have been looking at an older chart.. I still have that,it's still 2019 thing going and haven't gotten used to it being 2020 still..hehehehe

ETA: what I'm seeing now for regular, which is the cheapest is at 3.38..

3.60 for mid grade.

3.70 for premium.

That's as of 1/27/2020 for the statewide avg in California..

That's from The California Energy Commissions site..They say they update it every Tuesday..

I don't know how trustworthy and truthful they are,but that's what they have on there at the moment..

https://ww2.energy.ca.gov/almanac/transportation_data/gasoline/retail_gasoline_prices2_cms.html

Edited by Ceka Cianci

24 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i see this on the web .. of course always with some margins around it..
taking your 1.33 L x 3,78541178 ( gallon) = 5.035 --> 6.65 usd

I'm not quite sure what you did there, but neither of us have come close to US$12.50

I must have been looking at an older chart.. I still have that,it's still 2019 thing going and haven't gotten used to it being 2020 still..hehehehe

3.60 for mid grade.

3.70 for premium.

That's from The California Energy Commissions site..They say they update it every Tuesday..

I don't know how trustworthy and truthful they are,but that's what they have on there at the moment..

https://ww2.energy.ca.gov/almanac/transportation_data/gasoline/retail_gasoline_prices2_cms.html

Not in Southern California.  If only.  No, it's 5 a gallon here.  It had been well over 4....I thought the issue with Iran may be why there is a price increase.

Five dollars a gallon is a lot for families here.  

3.60 for mid grade.

3.70 for premium.

That's not too far off from the prices in my area of California, north of the San Francisco bay area.  I paid $3.89 / gallon for regular on the 26th.  There is varying in prices from station to station - my husband always finds the stations with the lowest prices, whereas I just stop at the closest station - and the prices can vary from day to day sometimes (which is probably why that site updates once a week).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.