How many UK residents will be able to afford SL after Brexit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

anyone else in the UK.  How much of this article is true?

That's a pretty accurate summary, without being overly biased. Some UK folk would want to do deny racist motivations or having been manipulated, but let's not kid ourselves.

It appears there is a tremendous amount of debt at the crux of the problem:

Another reason for the pound's likely struggle after Brexit is the United Kingdom's large outstanding debt. By the time the referendum vote takes place, the U.K. national debt will reach past 1.72 trillion pounds. This represents approximately 90% of the country's gross domestic product (GDP). If leaving the EU triggers a recession, as the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and British Treasury have predicted, the British government may struggle to meet its debt obligations.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/forex-currencies/070516/how-brexit-can-impact-euro-and-us-dollar.asp

I feel sad for everyone this affects.  I don't think things will change any time soon.  

Here in America it's just super high inflation and jobs have been imported and exported to death here in America it's not a real great situation here either.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The OP said she was disabled though, using a wheelchair.  Maybe SL is vital to her...maybe even more important than a meal or two missed due to spending it here in SL. We just don't know...can't ever know really...what another truly needs.

0B8CDA37-69F7-4AFF-94B2-61C5B391465B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, LexxiXhan said:

That's a pretty accurate summary, without being overly biased. Some UK folk would want to do deny racist motivations or having been manipulated, but let's not kid ourselves.

That is a totally biassed summary put out by an organisation that leans far left, just as all this crap about 20% of uk people are in poverty is. We dont have a far right government we have a centre right one. It is just the loony left like to portray it as such . Luna supports that article need I say more

• Like 3

Just now, KanryDrago said:

It is just the loony left like to portray it as such . Luna supports that article need I say more

While I appreciate you may have strong feelings about political topics, personal attacks are not only against the TOS, but also do little to support your credibility.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

That does not represent what I said.

If you're going to quote me have the decency to display what I said rather than a meaningless lopping.  I'm not minded to follow any link you provide or assist you in any way to further your political agenda.

18 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Garnet, I just grabbed a couple of words to start a conversation, as I wanted you to be notified I was speaking to you.

I have no political agenda....I have a human agenda, you could perhaps say a Social Work agenda, caused by understanding the pain endured by disadvantaged groups who are dehumanized in our 'might makes right', overly commodified world.   I don't see any political party addressing these needs atm, but somebody needs to because this world is about ready to implode.

* So please, tell me truthfully, do you really believe the far-right agenda Boris represents is going to make life better for those in the UK? You could convince me there are at least some advantages.

To your first point, you cannot assume other people reading this forum know that I actually said more, and this is not a private conversation, so you must bear that in mind.  Secondly, I do not believe you are without a political agenda, just by taking into account your assumptive question to me.  Lastly, I am under no obligation to convince you of anything, especially since I am not a Tory and I have nothing but contempt for that man.

Now perhaps we can get back on topic.  I told you I am not going to further your agenda, and now I'm finished with responding to this questioning.

1 minute ago, LexxiXhan said:

While I appreciate you may have strong feelings about political topics, personal attacks are not only against the TOS, but also do little to support your credibility.

Accusing Luna of being on the left is a personal attack? It is a statement of fact evidenced by her postings on this forum. But if you think of accusing someone of being on the left wing of politics is an insult.....well what can I say

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KanryDrago said:

Accusing Luna of being on the left is a personal attack? It is a statement of fact evidenced by her postings on this forum. But if you think of accusing someone of being on the left wing of politics is an insult.....well what can I say

You know perfectly well you didn't simply 'accuse Luna of being on the left'. You attached a value judgement in your wording. How close that comes to a personal attack is up to any moderator who chances upon it. In the meantime it would be better if we all took a little more care over the words we direct at others.

• Like 3

Just now, LexxiXhan said:

You know perfectly well you didn't simply 'accuse Luna of being on the left'. You attached a value judgement in your wording. How close that comes to a personal attack is up to any moderator who chances upon it. In the meantime it would be better if we all took a little more care over the words we direct at others.

And where were you when Luna was stating that people on the right are all evil? Oh no where that is right. Yes I think the left are misguided...big deal that is a value judgement not a personal attack. Calling people on the right evil is a personal attack. Now go take a chill pill because frankly I dont care what you think of what I said

Brexit is unlikely to bring any benefits to Britain but it could well make a lot of things more difficult and I feel very sad that it's happening.

However, I don't imagine it will have much of an effect on my SL! My subscription and tier might cost a bit more (if the pound falls) but compared to a few years ago, tier-free allowance and parcel prim allowance have been doubled by LL so premium membership is much better value than it used to be.

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Not in California for sure, but unfortunately they are having to live on much less than this in many parts of the country. And it's especially difficult when too few get the social services that other 1st world countries automatically provide (child care, college, and health care).

The median income is $31K in the US.  The fact that one can't make $40K go very far in California is primarily caused by the state's regulatory environment, particularly Prop 13, not to mention the exorbitant gas taxes (highest in the country - including wholesaler level taxes it's over 61 cents per gallon), etc.  In return, they have the highest rate of poverty, homelessness, and one of the worst public educational systems by outcomes.

But, the weather is great and their avacados are least expensive in the country.

5 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

The homelessness is bad here in LA. I think Linden Lab employees might be seeing it too in SF. I take public transit now and gas savings are huge but I end up riding with some fairly crazy homeless at times.

Homelessness increases everywhere sadly for a mix of reasons, here its because everyone comes to the south east to find work and pushes rents up as places to live are in short supply at the same time as the influx keeps wages down as the supply of labour exceeds demand. Other places it is lack of jobs etc where again the number looking keeps wages down to the point people cannot afford to pay rent and food.

There is an answer that might actually help and its not redistribution but sadly left nor right will implement it.

12 minutes ago, LexxiXhan said:

Which exorbitant gases are they taxing exactly?

Gasoline...what the British call Petrol, I believe.  Plus, there is an additive put into gasoline in California which is supposed to reduce pollution but makes gasoline more expensive than the rest of the country.  It smells putrid though....the pollution here is horrendous.  

Oh, maybe you were making a joke.  But, it's no joke if you were here and smell what the air smells like.  I've almost barfed just trying to walk down the street.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

The homelessness is bad here in LA. I think Linden Lab employees might be seeing it too in SF. I take public transit now and gas savings are huge but I end up riding with some fairly crazy homeless at times.

Yup, same here (UK), when travelling on local trains, you see and smell things you would rather not see and smell.

3 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Yup, same here (UK), when travelling on local trains, you see and smell things you would rather not see and smell.

And most of those smells are nothing to do with fuel. You really don't want to hang around anywhere near the ends of the carriages on a Virgin train. Or any other train, for that matter. *gags*

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

San Fran has 5-6 people, costing close to a million dollars per year, whose sole job it is to fan out through the streets and pick up human poop.

That's how bad it is.

But, at least there hasn't been a major earthquake in almost a century...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

When I drove through California, I was paying 5.00 gal for fuel .... And I had a rv... with a massive tank. I filled up one place cost me 175.00 ...  You could not pay me to live on the west coast. I love it in Fl, our gas is 2.40 gal average.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

When I drove through California, I was paying 5.00 gal for fuel .... And I had a rv... with a massive tank. I filled up one place cost me 175.00 ...  You could not pay me to live on the west coast. I love it in Fl, our gas is 2.40 gal average.

The state of Tennessee,we are close to that for an avg of 2.43.. Up in Nashville it's like 2.23's.. In town where i live by,it's  2.06..

We have a couple of our own pumps on the farm, one for diesel and one for regular, so when we see good prices,we are all over it like a spider monkey..

5.00 per gallon is robbery..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

The state of Tennessee,we are close to that for an avg of 2.43.. Up in Nashville it's like 2.23's.. In town where i live by,it's  2.06..

We have a couple of our own pumps on the farm, one for diesel and one for regular, so when we see good prices,we are all over it like a spider monkey..

5.00 per gallon is robbery..

yes, Tn is really great pricing on gas..  I will be in Virginia in 2 months I just hope its cheap there to.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

yes, Tn is really great pricing on gas..  I will be in Virginia in 2 months I just hope its cheap there to.. 

If things stay close to what they are now,you should see close to about the same avgs the whole way.. give or take  0.20 here and there..

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.