How many UK residents will be able to afford SL after Brexit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

46 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

https://secondlife.com/land/privatepricing.php

think most landlords rent homesteads out somwhere between 6500 and 7500 L$ a week, the one where i been renting for some years asks 7000 now ( but always ask for rebates )

And you have to own a region before you own a homestead? Am I understanding that right?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feel like I'm sitting across from a milionairs wife, who clutches her pearls as she sobbs into her silk tissue, telling me how the price of oysters and Lamborghinis has risen in recent years. T

Not only can I, personally, not even imagine spending that much money monthly in SL, I cannot even fathom the concept of someone feeling like owning a homestead (or similar expenditures) is almost a n

I would cut back to zero land and cancel my Premium subscription if I had to. But the difference between $99 at an exchange rate of 1.4 and an exchange rate of 1.1 is about 20 quid a year. That's 38p

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

And you have to own a region before you own a homestead? Am I understanding that right?

Yes to own one (paying LL directly).  But you can rent a Homestead irregardless of other land holdings, from a landlord.  

15 hours ago, Albion Teardrop said:

I'm on retirement income

How does retirement work in the UK?  I see that everyone gets a flat fee of around 600 pounds (do they get that irregardless of how much they earned throughout their working life?).  And then there are additional pensions which are optional, and partially funded by employers? And so those are based on the amount one has earned in the past right?

Edited by Luna Bliss
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes to own one (paying LL directly).  But you can rent a Homestead irregardless of other land holdings, from a landlord.  

So basically by renting a homestead you’re paying about $100 or 75 pounds a month?

6 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

So basically by renting a homestead you’re paying about $100 or 75 pounds a month?

Thereabouts yes...around $100 usd (don't know about the UK conversion).

On 1/30/2020 at 7:14 AM, Michaelatv Destiny said:

Do you think it's time for Linden labs to stop using real world currency's floations for what is only a game platform. It makes unfair competition to countries who don't have a huge economy like the USA.

No...

If a country commits suicide without any logical reason to do so, a country that has a history of ruining other people's countries... not much reason for sympathy. If you weren't party to that suicide... move out while your passport still gives you travel options.

On 1/30/2020 at 8:06 AM, Michaelatv Destiny said:

I seem to be marginalised by LL who thinks everybody is on 40k saleries which of course I'm not. But thanks for commenting, just getting feedback, that's all ☺️☺️

40K?

Nobody out here can live on that LITTLE...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

If the GBP tanks against the USD as a result of Brexit, my tips for performing will be worth more. As it stands, my SL existence pays for itself plus a little bit. If the exchange rate against the USD goes through the floor as a result of Brexit I'll accept that changing to "pays for itself plus a little bit more."

Brexit is going to be disaster enough  that I'll take any tiny sliver of a silver lining I can get.

Edited by Da5id Weatherwax
  • Like 3
11 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

If a country commits suicide without any logical reason to do so, a country that has a history of ruining other people's countries... not much reason for sympathy. If you weren't party to that suicide... move out while your passport still gives you travel options.

It's not suicide; don't be melodramatic.  As for ruining other people's countries, I'm reminded of the saying 'What have the Romans ever given us'.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, janetosilio said:

a little above
7000 weekly *52 /12 ( to convert to months) = 30334 monthly .. at a exchange lets take 270 equals nearly 112 euro/124 USD/94 GBP

Pussycat my wife and myself get 22k GBP PER ANNUM. we still have to top up our rent each week of £40. Plus we still have to pay £450 to the council for some council tax, because just over the limit of rules. Wife has two work pensions paid £160 Twice a year only. But DWP, CAPS mean that even pensioners have to pay part of the rent and part council tax. In the years before, no pensioners paid towards rent or council tax. But Tories changed all the benefit system years ago. So when we retired in 2015, we not really getting our full pens ion, it's been pinched by Tory austerity measures. Thanks 😐😐

9 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Has anyone made the point that everyone who has a decent internet connection can afford SL, because basic membership is free?  I'm too lazy to read all the responses to see if the obvious answer to the OP title has been offered yet.

It's not about whether one can afford SL in it's very basic form -- of course everyone can.  It's about whether SL can fulfill your dreams.  For example, without land SL would be a very boring place for me -- I like to create unique landscapes via shaping the land through terraforming and completing the look with all the other elements needed to create new little themed worlds. That is my passion, and I wouldn't be here without it.

And so we need to ask, what are Michaelatv's dreams?...and how can she adjust her expenses to take advantage of those...

55 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

40K?

Nobody out here can live on that LITTLE...

Not in California for sure, but unfortunately they are having to live on much less than this in many parts of the country. And it's especially difficult when too few get the social services that other 1st world countries automatically provide (child care, college, and health care).

12 minutes ago, Michaelatv Destiny said:

I just think LL COULD do a lot more to attract new residents by lowering many of their core financial demands made on players who want to afford SL

Over the 5 years that I've been in SL, LL has lowered the cost of owning land (reduced mainland tier, plus reduced monthly cost of estates - full and homestead).  Plus they have added value  by increasing the amount of LI available on parcels (for example, from 117 to 175 LI on a 512 sqm).  Additionally, for premium members, the amount of 'free' tier was increased from 512 sqm to 1024 sqm. 

LL does not have any obligation to make everything affordable for everyone in the world.  

For people that do not want to (or cannot) spend very much, there are a lot of freebies, group gifts, lucky chair gifts or midnight madness board gifts that can be quite nice - it just takes some time spent reading blogs about events and special deals and checking out various stores, but that does give one something to do, as well.  If one pays attention to information about various mesh bodies and heads, it is even possible to get a very good deal on a mesh body. at various times throughout the year.

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, Michaelatv Destiny said:

my wife and myself get 22k GBP PER ANNUM.

to set in perspective:  ..... 22k GBP equals 26.000 euro ''' retirement in the netherlands only gives 20k for couples
rent for 173 GBP a month? .average rent here is 500/720 euro ../ 420- 604GBP
average local government taxes ... between 500 and 1000 euro yearly/ 420-840 GBP

37 minutes ago, Michaelatv Destiny said:

it's been pinched by Tory austerity measures.

What other cuts do you anticipate as Borax enacts his policies?  Do you know what policies he's proposing?  You could maybe look that up and adjust your budget accordingly.  I shudder when I look up the policies Trump would enact here in the US if he can get them through.  Some he already has.  He's trying to gut the ACA, depriving more of needed health care.  He's rolling back environmental protections. Trying to stop abortion.  Really it just goes on and on.  And Borax really seems like Trump Junior to me..

Edited by Luna Bliss
53 minutes ago, Michaelatv Destiny said:

I just think LL COULD do a lot more to attract new residents by lowering many of their core financial demands made on players who want to afford SL, but many don't stay mainly cos no mentors anymore of which I was one, and to someone on zero contracts work, LL makes it very difficult for millions of people on minimum wages to buy or use SL effectively

I think many would agree with you....land cost still needs to be lower.  I have to admit this even though most likely it means creators will end up having greater pay cuts to balance it out.

On 1/30/2020 at 7:14 AM, Michaelatv Destiny said:

I'm just getting some feedback from my fellow Brits. In 2016 I had an affordable homestead I could keep under my present retired income. We were getting 1.49$ to one GBP. Our currency crashed big time after stupid decision to leave.

In no time at all it was down to 1.35$, which added £6 a week extra on my tier, which I could not afford. So been waiting 3 years for GBP to recover back to 1.49$ Again. This hasn't happened, and I really losing hope I will ever be able to buy or rent in the near future.

To the OP:

If I may ask, what makes you believe the British Pound Sterling is worth 1.49?

What are you awaiting Great Britian to do to get to that number of 1.49?  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

a little above
7000 weekly *52 /12 ( to convert to months) = 30334 monthly .. at a exchange lets take 270 equals nearly 112 euro/124 USD/94 GBP

Oh, ok I was doing the math on paying 6500 a week.

So my thing is, if you got 94£ to spend a month, how exactly are you pinching pennies? 

I know if I was on a tight budget, paying tier/rent/uploading money in SL would be one of the first things out the window.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

It's not

That does not represent what I said.

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

What is it exactly? I'd like your feedback and Micaela's...or anyone else in the UK.  How much of this article is true?  

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/britain-belongs-to-the-far-right-now/

If you're going to quote me have the decency to display what I said rather than a meaningless lopping.  I'm not minded to follow any link you provide or assist you in any way to further your political agenda.

20 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

If you're going to quote me have the decency to display what I said rather than a meaningless lopping.  I'm not minded to follow any link you provide or assist you in any way to further your political agenda.

Garnet, I just grabbed a couple of words to start a conversation, as I wanted you to be notified I was speaking to you.

I have no political agenda....I have a human agenda, you could perhaps say a Social Work agenda, caused by understanding the pain endured by disadvantaged groups who are dehumanized in our 'might makes right', overly commodified world.   I don't see any political party addressing these needs atm, but somebody needs to because this world is about ready to implode.

* So please, tell me truthfully, do you really believe the far-right agenda Boris represents is going to make life better for those in the UK? You could convince me there are at least some advantages.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

I know if I was on a tight budget, paying tier/rent/uploading money in SL would be one of the first things out the window.

The OP said she was disabled though, using a wheelchair.  Maybe SL is vital to her...maybe even more important than a meal or two missed due to spending it here in SL. We just don't know...can't ever know really...what another truly needs.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Thanks 1
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.