Michaelatv Destiny

How many UK residents will be able to afford SL after Brexit

33 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Thats how I felt when I was having lunch with friends in a country pub, when Mr Farage came in with his entourage.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, cheesecurd said:

If you cant afford an extra few pounds a week you shouldnt be putting any money into SL or anything like it at all.

I mean are you kidding me? If currency value impacts your life youre either stupidly rich or incredibly poor, and if youre at the point where 6 pounds matters, why are you spending any money on SL at all?

Priorities, SL shouldnt be one of them when 6 pounds matters.

Well, her priorities might not be yours.

She said she was disabled, so perhaps SL brings enough value to her life that she really should spend the money even though a few pounds is significant to her budget.

* disabled people, or those on fixed incomes, frequently have very tight budgets

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Michaelatv Destiny said:

I find playstation and Steam purchases are affordable. But also for many titles there are many offers on hand to help your pocket out. But when has second Life ever offered monthly discounts to buy L$ CURRENCY,for instance at 50% off??

Lindens are exchangeable for fiat currency. Offering them for 50% off would be the equivalent of offering British Pounds for 50% off. Which is what you're complaining about, basically...

• Like 3

The UK existed well before the EU and can exist again outside of the EU. Pare down your debts in SL and remember that teleportation makes your home location largely irrelevant. The day is always darkest just before the dawn. 

• Like 3

To all my friends in the U.K. - remember the bright, shining blue sky ahead is that you will no longer be under the oppressive thumb called VAT. You will be free to breath again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

no longer be under the oppressive thumb called VAT

If VAT is going away I'm sure other taxes will replace it. And since it's a conservative govt replacing labor most likely it's the poor who will pay more via various new taxes..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

To all my friends in the U.K. - remember the bright, shining blue sky ahead is that you will no longer be under the oppressive thumb called VAT. You will be free to breath again.

We live in hope. :) 

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

If VAT is going away I'm sure other taxes will replace it. And since it's a conservative govt replacing labor most likely it's the poor who will pay more via various new taxes..

Yes, always the doom-and-gloom perspective from you. Thank you for not forgetting to include it.

3 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:
19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes, always the doom-and-gloom perspective from you. Thank you for not forgetting to include it.

Well if you want to call reality 'doom and gloom' so be it.  I see no evidence that VAT is going away, rather I see that it will be managed differently (from a cursory glance at the matter).

But it doesn't make sense that a  government would suddenly reduce any tax 20% (if that is indeed the VAT tax amount) without compensating elsewhere to make up the difference.

It's also a fact that conservative parties cut social service programs when coming into power, and that labor parties give out at least a few more bones to the poor. That's not to say I approve of the so-called 'left' these days (it's actually center-right).

I hope for the best too, for anyone going through these massive changes. But the downward trend relating to the protection of the disadvantaged (or even for those more fortunate) via all these austerity measures in recent years......well it just doesn't look good.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

The pound rose against the dollar when the election result indicated Brexit was going to happen, so why on earth should it then go into freefall when it actually does happen?

Because when the Brexit vote first happened, they were trading based on the (fake) promises made by politicians. Since then, they've been listening to economists.

• Like 4

There's no indication that VAT will be going, just that for trade between UK and EU businesses or UK folk buying from abroad it will go through some changes which may (probably will) make goods more expensive for UK residents.

The scrapping or reworking of Human, Equality, Employment and Pension rights are a big concern, along with moves to allow govt to force through changes with few protections for the population, damage to the UK economy, loss of EU investment in poorer or under-represented areas, continued cuts to public services such as education and health, deregulation of businesses and environmental impact, loss of freedom to travel, work or study in Europe, and on and on..

Edited by LexxiXhan
grammar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

When did you see a government saying no for taxpayers money? 

VAT brings in a huge amount of revenue in the UK, but is also complex. It won't be abolished without some replacement, but a simpler tax system such as sales tax would reduce the costs of administration.

What's more interesting is the number of MEPs and public servants who will return from life in Brussels. I'm guessing hundreds if not thousands. Brussels is awash with public servants, and having worked for a while as a public servant I know how top heavy and inefficient things get. A fair number of these will be getting fat pensions off the back of all this. Maybe in time the facts will emerge.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, LexxiXhan said:

There's no indication that VAT will be going, just that for trade between UK and EU businesses or UK folk buying from abroad it will go through some changes which may (probably will) make goods more expensive for UK residents.

The scrapping or reworking of Human, Equality, Employment and Pension rights are a big concern, along with moves to allow govt to force through changes with few protections for the population, damage to the UK economy, loss of EU investment in poorer or under-represented areas, continued cuts to public services such as education and health, deregulation of businesses and environmental impact, loss of freedom to travel, work or study in Europe, and on and on..

Loss of the European arrest warrant that removed 800 years of magna carts

Loss of the EU gravy train (remember the furore when some members wanted to audit the books)

Loss of silly rules that cripple industry

A never ending argument

• Like 1

I would restructure my SL hobby to not need such large land in areas with hiked up costs...and spend within my budget, same as I always have. I’m doing this anyway and I don’t have any budget cuts. Just because being right sized in SL makes me happiest. 
Aside from community, I asked myself about the extra land I was keeping in one place and decided to cut our holdings there by about half and dive deeper on everything instead with my projects there. I was spread too thin over too many things. I have a place to build in several communities and access to premium sandboxes in addition. I’ve learned to take out and put away my projects neatly just as I do at home, with a Gyazo folder full of snapshots for each and so also gone is any messy build platforms.
2020 is going to be a ‘less but better’ year for me to refine my plans and streamline my projects. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michaelatv Destiny said:

I'm just getting some feedback from my fellow Brits. In 2016 I had an affordable homestead I could keep under my present retired income. We were getting 1.49$ to one GBP. Our currency crashed big time after stupid decision to leave.

In no time at all it was down to 1.35$, which added £6 a week extra on my tier, which I could not afford. So been waiting 3 years for GBP to recover back to 1.49$ Again. This hasn't happened, and I really losing hope I will ever be able to buy or rent in the near future.

Brexit happens any day now, and there's no doubt in my mind that our GBP Will go into free fall. I conservatively predict the pound will be almost worthless, crashing to about 1.10$ to one GBP. That would push up the price of a homestead to £9 -£10 a week, from pre 2016 levels.

Who ,on fixed incomes or low pay will be able to afford to buy or rent land, especially in Blake's Seas, where I used to own airports and afford half a mainland sim to rent. Do you think it's time for Linden labs to stop using real world currency's floations for what is only a game platform. It makes unfair competition to countries who don't have a huge economy like the USA. So how many are still going to buy or rent, if the pound crashes on 1st February.???? Of course it may go up, but that's most unlikely, seeing the coranavirus is already depressing financial markets. Your thoughts?????

The currency markets have known for 3+ years that Brexit was coming.  They've known since Boris finally got it through Parliament when it was going to happen.  Barring something bizarre happening at this point, Brexit is factored into the current exchange rates, and you won't see much of a change.  Besides, a drop from 1.30 to 1.10 is hardly free fall or crash.  It would be a "correction".

What on earth do you suggest they use if not "real world currency's floations "?  Bitcoin?  You'd doubtless like that even less.

• Like 1

well its more like £7.50 more on top of what I used to pay pre 2016.  Thats x 4  four weeks, thats £30 increase, on a HStead I used to be able to afford, but it not just rents, New airliners, because I fly a lot, cost a lot more, because to buy one on market street costs me more as well, so in one month, for instance, buying a beach house some new clothes or weapons, its a cumulative effect, which if you take as an average spend per month, I would be literally paying roughly £45 a month more than before, unfortunately in the days I had a Sim in the old NOR combat zones, I was working, now Im not and on fixed income retired on government pension. Which does not go far as the uk has the lowest rate pf pension rates than most of EU.

All I would like to do is go back to my building themed sims like I have done from Pandora, to Manchester Airport, to my own urban combat sim. But this is beyond my reach now. 

As I said Im not looking for criticism, Im asking my UK residents if they will be able to keep up payments for premium rents and items, come 1st February. Its not really about me. I had my best times from 2007- 2012.... So with health problems, I dont think at my age now, i would be able build what i did 10 years ago anyway. Thank you for the comments. :)

VAT is not going to disappear. It might change a little in the way rates are calculated and the way it's administered. Some things that are currently exempt might not be, and vice-versa. The only difference is that the UK will be free to decide those changes themselves rather than be forced into rules set by the EU.

That said, I am not in favour of Brexit and I think that without the EU there will be less protection for vulnerable people such as the disabled and the unemployed. I am lucky; though disabled I can still work and I have a job that pays more than minimum wage, and the company I work for does not trade in the EU. But I have already seen my pension slashed by 25%.

The people who will be most harmed by Brexit will be two groups; those on minimum or no income, and those who depend on European trade for their income or their job. 

• Like 1

Fact:
"In the United Kingdom, the value-added tax (VAT) was introduced in 1973, replacing Purchase Tax, and is the third-largest source of government revenue, after income tax and National Insurance. VAT is levied on most goods and services provided by registered businesses in the UK and some goods and services imported from outside the European Union. There are complex regulations for goods and services imported from within the EU."

Government needs money, and VAT is just one of the ways to collect big part of the money. Leaving EU surely does not mean that VAT would go away.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

That said, I am not in favour of Brexit and I think that without the EU there will be less protection for vulnerable people such as the disabled and the unemployed. I am lucky; though disabled I can still work and I have a job that pays more than minimum wage, and the company I work for does not trade in the EU. But I have already seen my pension slashed by 25%.

The people who will be most harmed by Brexit will be two groups; those on minimum or no income, and those who depend on European trade for their income or their job. 

In 10 years the demand at food banks in the UK has increased by over 3,800%, with about 2,000 food banks serving the needy.  One fifth of the population is now living in poverty.  That's happened during Tory rule and during the UK's membership of the EU; I don't see how the EU has been effective in helping them, assuming they tried. :/ 

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

In 10 years the demand at food banks in the UK has increased by over 3,800%, with about 2,000 food banks serving the needy.  One fifth of the population is now living in poverty.  That's happened during Tory rule and during the UK's membership of the EU; I don't see how the EU has been effective in helping them, assuming they tried.

You don't wonder, perhaps, if without EU membership there would now be two fifths of the population living in poverty?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Uh oh we're gonna get locked now!

3 minutes ago, LexxiXhan said:

You don't wonder, perhaps, if without EU membership there would now be two fifths of the population living in poverty?

No.  I could wonder about many things in pure speculation mode.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

In 10 years the demand at food banks in the UK has increased by over 3,800%, with about 2,000 food banks serving the needy.  One fifth of the population is now living in poverty.  That's happened during Tory rule and during the UK's membership of the EU; I don't see how the EU has been effective in helping them, assuming they tried. :/ 

Let's not forget labour actually caused the problem with tax and spend, letting public spending spiral out of control.  Anyone else recall Council tax rises of 10%+ or Gordon brown screwing motorists on fuel tax? Fuel protests of September 2000?

No matter who got in spending had to be cut.

Also Tony Blair and Gordon brown giving away all our opt outs? Handing us to Europe on a plate? Gorgon brown publically promising a referendum then not holding it,?

Oh yeah and Gordon brown destroying our pensions?

Edited by belindacarson
typo
  • Like 1