How many UK residents will be able to afford SL after Brexit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm just getting some feedback from my fellow Brits. In 2016 I had an affordable homestead I could keep under my present retired income. We were getting 1.49$ to one GBP. Our currency crashed big time after stupid decision to leave.

In no time at all it was down to 1.35$, which added £6 a week extra on my tier, which I could not afford. So been waiting 3 years for GBP to recover back to 1.49$ Again. This hasn't happened, and I really losing hope I will ever be able to buy or rent in the near future.

Brexit happens any day now, and there's no doubt in my mind that our GBP Will go into free fall. I conservatively predict the pound will be almost worthless, crashing to about 1.10$ to one GBP. That would push up the price of a homestead to £9 -£10 a week, from pre 2016 levels.

Who ,on fixed incomes or low pay will be able to afford to buy or rent land, especially in Blake's Seas, where I used to own airports and afford half a mainland sim to rent. Do you think it's time for Linden labs to stop using real world currency's floations for what is only a game platform. It makes unfair competition to countries who don't have a huge economy like the USA. So how many are still going to buy or rent, if the pound crashes on 1st February.???? Of course it may go up, but that's most unlikely, seeing the coranavirus is already depressing financial markets. Your thoughts?????

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

So you're saying that Linden Labs ( a U.S. based company ) should tie its pricing to whatever country in the world has the lowest rate of exchange to the U.S. dollar? I don't think the workers at Linden Labs will appreciate it too much when management tells them that since the currency in ( for example ) Greece has tanked that each one needs to take a $ 7.00 per hour pay cut until things get better there.

• Like 4

I can't say how it may affect my general spending--other than that I may have to be more frugal in SL, than I have previously been. I only have a LH on Belli, no owned or rented land outside of it. But it's one of the reasons why I decided to take advantage of the discount for advanced prepayment/renewal a month or so ago. I have until 20/06/2021 to see how things go with the £. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Michaelatv Destiny said:

Your thoughts?????

complain to your government, as i see no single reason why LL should change things because of political choices.

Renting homesteads of half regions are a luxury .. it's véry véry pleasant to use that, but also on a 1024 sqm parcel or even none, is a full SL life possible.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I would cut back to zero land and cancel my Premium subscription if I had to. But the difference between $99 at an exchange rate of 1.4 and an exchange rate of 1.1 is about 20 quid a year. That's 38p a week. If I can't spare 38p a week, I would have much bigger concerns than whether to renew my SL subscription.

I might actually go for the 3 year deal though: I have a feeling that the exchange rate might drop a lot further and if I can get the next 3 years at todays exchange rate, that could be a better deal.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Well of course I understand why LL should have to change but you have to understand,like quite a few other countries our petrol, heating costs etc are almost treble what Americans pay, which is why ,I don't know why they don't just set a price for a service like Steam purchases of digital content, which is not paired to real  currency. SL is the only platform I currently know that links buying objects to wobbly financial markets. It's all to easy to make sweeping statements, but as a now disabled resident, it's very difficult for me to enjoy the same experience and new projects which now are almost out of my pocket. In 2012 when I could still work and pound was stable I didn't give costs much of a thought, but now hearing seventy soon, I seem to be marginalised by LL who thinks everybody is on 40k saleries which of course I'm not. But thanks for commenting, just getting feedback, that's all ☺️☺️

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Michaelatv Destiny said:

Your thoughts?????

I feel like I'm sitting across from a milionairs wife, who clutches her pearls as she sobbs into her silk tissue, telling me how the price of oysters and Lamborghinis has risen in recent years.

The UK residents will eventually adapt to live on less than a homestead.

Edited by Syo Emerald
  • Like 5
  • Haha 9

If I can't afford SL for any reason Brexit or otherwise, I scale back.  I come to SL to escape stuff like Brexit so thats all I have to say.... and OUT (of the thread, I am still in the EU for a few more hours)

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Michaelatv Destiny said:

,I don't know why they don't just set a price for a service like Steam purchases of digital content, which is not paired to real  currency.

If you would pay on Steam with US dollars, you would also be affected by the exchange rate. The stronger your own currency is, the more you can purchase in a country with a weaker currency (or a lower price level). SL is exclusivly a US company, thats why their prices are in US dollar and Linden can be purchased only with US dollars.

• Like 3

I don't know, but the sight of Farage and Widdecombe gurning with smugness and waving flags while the EU gave us a farewell that was far more gracious and dignified than we deserve is almost enough to make me move to Gor. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I don't know, but the sight of Farage and Widdecombe gurning with smugness and waving flags while the EU gave us a farewell that was far more gracious and dignified than we deserve is almost enough to make me move to Gor. 

Thats how I felt when I was having lunch with friends in a country pub, when Mr Farage came in with his entourage.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

It was a horrible sight.

I don't think we are doomed to financial ruin though, despite the difficulties.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michaelatv Destiny said:

I'm just getting some feedback from my fellow Brits. In 2016 I had an affordable homestead I could keep under my present retired income. We were getting 1.49$ to one GBP. Our currency crashed big time after stupid decision to leave.

In no time at all it was down to 1.35$, which added £6 a week extra on my tier, which I could not afford. So been waiting 3 years for GBP to recover back to 1.49$ Again. This hasn't happened, and I really losing hope I will ever be able to buy or rent in the near future.

Brexit happens any day now, and there's no doubt in my mind that our GBP Will go into free fall. I conservatively predict the pound will be almost worthless, crashing to about 1.10$ to one GBP. That would push up the price of a homestead to £9 -£10 a week, from pre 2016 levels.

Who ,on fixed incomes or low pay will be able to afford to buy or rent land, especially in Blake's Seas, where I used to own airports and afford half a mainland sim to rent. Do you think it's time for Linden labs to stop using real world currency's floations for what is only a game platform. It makes unfair competition to countries who don't have a huge economy like the USA. So how many are still going to buy or rent, if the pound crashes on 1st February.???? Of course it may go up, but that's most unlikely, seeing the coranavirus is already depressing financial markets. Your thoughts?????

You don’t need virtual land to live in the real world. You’ll be okay.

• Like 6

The UK will be in transition from 31st January until 31st December, so I imagine exchange rates could be a bit wobbly for a while.  I myself went a bit wobbly over land recently, for reasons which I'm not allowed to discuss, though they have nothing to do with Brexit.  I'm also disabled, @Michaelatv Destiny, and have to consider my options, but really, you are the one in control of what you do to face changing circumstances.  Calling on LL to make changes to benefit you is optimistic at best.

• Like 4

If you cant afford an extra few pounds a week you shouldnt be putting any money into SL or anything like it at all.

I mean are you kidding me? If currency value impacts your life youre either stupidly rich or incredibly poor, and if youre at the point where 6 pounds matters, why are you spending any money on SL at all?

Priorities, SL shouldnt be one of them when 6 pounds matters.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.