Drune is gone :(((( Why Linden Lab. can't keep it going?

Pavon2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

As a test, who has heard of Jo Yardley's regions, the first of which was 1920s ( I think) Berlin? 
Those are really amazing, esp if you are a history lover. 

Yes, of course. But in fairness, 1920s Berlin has been around for (almost) forever. But you indirectly make a good point: Jo has been very good at promoting her sim.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That is entirely possible, maybe even probable. But it's an argument that assumes a) that people on this forum are representative of SL as a whole (which I think is debatable), and b) that the best way to sustain SL is by offering the kind of thing that the current niche audience already likes

One can make the argument supporting something new and different, that isn't necessarily popular with the current resident base, is one way to open up a new target audience.

Not popular, just known. I think I've been to 1920s Berlin twice, but I know about it. But yeah, getting new people in isn't quite the same as attracting people who aren't in SL yet. It doesn't appear that's happening much either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, momomoonusagi said:

I found this in regards as to why Drune is shut down. The maker of Drune, known as Hera, has built multiple variations of Drune and it was something of a trend that one would come up; stay for a while; then go down only to be reopened and renewed somehow.

It was just a thing Hera did.

So basically the owner pays for a region,  builds on it it, opens it to the public and then after a while decides to rebuild something new?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Not popular, just known. I think I've been to 1920s Berlin twice, but I know about it.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of the actual SL resident population have actually patronized the best known, or "most popular" places in SL, now and in the past.

I'd be willing to bet that even those places that are now part of SL folklore -- AM Radio's installations, or Greenies, or the Lost Gardens of Apollo for instance -- never really attracted more than a pretty small proportion of the population.

The really "popular" sims are probably places like the Maitreya store, or Blueberry.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

So basically the owner pays for a region,  builds on it it, opens it to the public and then after a while decides to rebuild something new?

From my understanding of Drune the concept, Hera paid for her space, built up a version of Drune, had her parties and fun in it, then took it down and eventually a new one would pop up--so yeah.

Sometimes the themes for Drune were a little different and not always "cyberpunk". At one point there was a more of a "Steampunk" ish Drune.

But yeah. That's what I've understood of Drune since I learned about it.

Edited by momomoonusagi
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, momomoonusagi said:

I found this in regards as to why Drune is shut down. The maker of Drune, known as Hera, has built multiple variations of Drune and it was something of a trend that one would come up; stay for a while; then go down only to be reopened and renewed somehow.

It was just a thing Hera did.

But as for the latest Drune, if you read the body of the Flickr post it gives some insight:

[photo space]

I'm pretty sure that photo is NSFW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went to Greenies, most of AM Radio’s installations and I’ve been to Berlin. I have only been to Blueberry twice and Maitreya a couple of times and for redelivery only. I have worked through the Ivory Tower tutorials, been to ChouChou many times and I’ve bought their music as well. To my chagrin, I never got to see them perform in SL. I’ve been to Svarga and the Galaxy before they were added to the Preservation Society. 

one of my favorite things was Black Swan, art installations and parties along with commerce. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

If people who have been active in SL on a daily basis for more than a decade haven't heard of it, it might not be a great example of something that's going to attract a bunch of new people.

I dunno, I haven't heard of most of the Gor sims.  Amazing how big some of the Gor places are.  One I've been visiting is 7 sims, most of them pretty unused.  How do they pay for them (now it's a Gor derail, y'all)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is true of pretty much everything in life, isn't it?

Drune is popular enough that I, a person who doesn't care at all for dystopian sims, had heard of it and visited it. I have no idea how that translates into foot traffic, of course.

If I saw the word "dystopian" related to a sim, I'd avoid it like a coronavirus (derail).  I get enough dystopia watching my government (derail).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I went to Greenies, most of AM Radio’s installations and I’ve been to Berlin. I have only been to Blueberry twice and Maitreya a couple of times and for redelivery only. I have worked through the Ivory Tower tutorials, been to ChouChou many times and I’ve bought their music as well. To my chagrin, I never got to see them perform in SL. I’ve been to Svarga and the Galaxy before they were added to the Preservation Society. 

one of my favorite things was Black Swan, art installations and parties along with commerce. 

Oh yeah?

Well, I've seen attack ships on fire off shoulder of Orion and watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

So there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

This bit (unfortunately) stuck this song in my head:

Oh dear god.

My apologies, Sylvia. What a terrible thing to do to you!

(Of course, speaking as someone who has been "exploring the subtle whoring / That cost too much to be free," and "moved like a harlot in Monte Carlo," instead of letting my unborn children make my life "complete," I am not someone whose apologies you'll want to take very seriously.)

Ack.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh dear god.

My apologies, Sylvia. What a terrible thing to do to you!

(Of course, speaking as someone who has been "exploring the subtle whoring / That cost too much to be free," and "moved like a harlot in Monte Carlo," instead of letting my unborn children make my life "complete," I am not someone whose apologies you'll want to take very seriously.)

Ack.

Worst song ever, and it was released TWICE. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gadget Portal said:

LL should just fund every stupid little region anyone makes, 'cause someone likes going there but hates contributing!

They totally wouldn't go bankrupt that way!

I know it's sarcastic and all, nor do I care about the region in question (first time I heard about it). But they already do, it's called mainland, especially water regions with zero residental areas. LL pays for the servers running it, so people who care about sailing/flying can go there. it's not any different, especially for those of us who do not enjoy such kind of activities.

• Like 1

Drune did get a lively crowd of young people. That's good for SL. There was a lot of traffic in the renamed "Drune Forever" group today.

There's still Cocoon and Hangars Liquides. Cocoon looks a lot like Drune. Hangars Liquides is huge and gritty, 5 sims.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Pavon2 said:

I'm here because I love and care about Second Life. I would love Second Life to survive. In order for Second Life to survive I think it's crucial to simply advertise it outside, and encourage new people to join. Drune is a sim that offers the same quality as new video games nowadays. Sims like Drune could be a tool to do that. If the kids could see it, maybe they would come to SL out of curiosity. 

SL has had looooooots of publicity over the years.  From simply news stories in tech, gaming & entertainment circles to long ago RL name brands having inworld presences.  You can (pretty sure) still wander around the ghost town that was created for Duran Duran.  There’s many documentaries of SL romance going to RL.  Lots of publicity about SL kink & alt lifestyles as well.  

Many nonprofits & higher learning institutions have or have had a presence in SL.  

Perhaps my fave example of “advertising” was Dwight having an avi on an episode of the office.   Lets not forget the lines that can be drawn between Ready Player 1 & SL.   

• Like 3

On 1/30/2020 at 6:26 PM, Pamela Galli said:

As a test, who has heard of Jo Yardley's regions, the first of which was 1920s ( I think) Berlin? 
Those are really amazing, esp if you are a history lover. 

I have, I hear it is a stinky, bohemian place full of drunks and perverts.

PS if you love history, also check out my other sim Time Portal ;)

Edited by Jo Yardley
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.