Drune is gone :(((( Why Linden Lab. can't keep it going?

Pavon2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
29 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I lost Forgotten City

So . . . you remember Forgotten City?

Maybe the reason it failed is that it was so clearly misnamed?

Ahem...

I said "I lost Forgotten City". Had I remembered where I left it, I'd still have it, along with the remote control to my TV and a bag of Skittles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Had I remembered where I left it, I'd still have it, along with the remote control to my TV and a bag of Skittles.

Does this explain why you spend so much time rifling through my purse?

You'd be better off looking under the sofa cushions, you know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Pavon2 said:

Unfortunately, as usual in life, to find the most valuable things you need to make a research yourself. 

For that matter, doing a bit of research into the actual status of the region would have prevented all this drama misinformation. It looks to me like access to the region has merely been closed, apparently temporarily, while the owner decides what to do next.

I did a little bit of research myself, reading Flickr just like you did (which is, as we all know, the BEST source of information), and this was  something like the fifth incarnation of Drune. I imagine it will once again rise from the ashes.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pavon2 said:

You know what I would really like? I would like people to concentrate on the good things, to not question or undermine everything that's ever being said on the forums by someone who isn't a regular here.

You're right of course and welcome to the forums, people aren't always that negative here.

But as so many have said, there are so many sims that deserve to be kept. I can easily list twenty or more myself off the top of my head, and that's just me. There really isn't much us SL'ers collectively can do about it. It's sad but true.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

ummm is that supposed to mean something?  Or is it some sort of existential Zen thing?

Well, it did have, in a sort of minor way, a point: I was suggesting that the chorus of "I've never heard of it" here is predicated, apparently, on the unspoken assumption that "If I haven't heard of it, then it can't be very important or worthwhile." The point being that Drune's value has little or nothing to do with your certification of familiarity and approval. Just as your importance (and you are terribly important, you know) isn't a function of Drune's knowledge of you.

Mostly, however, I was making a joke, you irony-challenged, humourless capitalist Schweinehund.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Drune is (was?), by all accounts, a really nicely done sim. It had become something of a favourite with photographers: you'll see a number of pics set there in the picture threads in "Your Avatar." I've been there twice, but never ventured outside a club there, so I can't really speak from personal experience to how well done it is (was?), but the images I've seen suggest it was a worthwhile place to visit. Personally, I think SL rather overdoes the dystopian / Blade Runner kind of thing (just as we have a surfeit of charming rural sims with abandoned pickup trucks), but then that's not really my thing, so my opinion doesn't actually matter much in that regard.

@Pavon2 -- it sounds as though not all hope is lost, so keep your fingers crossed?

I'll just say, as I said when we went through this with the imminent closing of Hangars Liquides (another dystopian sim), that Linden Lab, if they give any thought at all to stepping in, will engage in the kind of calculation that you might expect any for-profit business to perform: they'll ask themselves whether their product, i.e., SL, is sufficiently enhanced by the sim to justify the expense that might be involved in supporting it. LL doesn't keep sims going out of the goodness of their hearts, or a sense of public spiritedness: they do so, I very much suspect, on the basis of a cost/benefits analysis.

Presumably, having done so, they decided that ChouChou was worth saving. They possibly may make the same determination about Drune (which, despite what is being said here, does seem to have actually been a pretty popular place). And they might well be wrong in their analysis, one way or another.

The point is, arguments about whether LL should or shouldn't save sims like Drune are kinda missing the point: LL will support them, or not, for reasons that have little or nothing to do with the kinds of arguments being made here. You can argue with the logic of any decision they may ultimately make, but it's not actually about saving something because it's "good" or even "popular": it is, as I say, a calculation. The best we can really do is have faith that LL knows what they are doing when they make such decisions.

As for supporting it through donations, group fees, and so on -- does anyone really know a sim that is self-sustaining in this way? The only way, I suspect, that this can be accomplished is through rentals. And that can sometimes be a problematic solution as well.

If I read you correctly, you are espousing the idea of either LL giving them a tier break so the owner's can financially sustain it, or taking over the sim and making it essentially a non-profit endeavor.  One of the factors in that cost benefit analysis would be the impact of such a decision on the other sim owners who are a big part of LL's revenue stream.  Do other sim owners then threaten to close and whip up their regulars to petition LL to save them?  Do they just get disgusted with yet another example of inconsistent practices and shut down?  Your post lists 3 such potential instances - risking 30 more seems a bad decision.  But, you're definitely right, LL will do what they think is best for LL, and there are lots of other sims that are someone's "best ever" to go see.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

you are espousing the idea of either LL giving them a tier break so the owner's can financially sustain it, or taking over the sim and making it essentially a non-profit endeavor

I am not "espousing" anything. I'm explaining how the process works.

(ETA: You irony-challenged, humourless etc. . . .)

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, it did have, in a sort of minor way, a point: I was suggesting that the chorus of "I've never heard of it" here is predicated, apparently, on the unspoken assumption that "If I haven't heard of it, then it can't be very important or worthwhile." The point being that Drune's value has little or nothing to do with your certification of familiarity and approval. Just as your importance (and you are terribly important, you know) isn't a function of Drune's knowledge of you.

Mostly, however, I was making a joke, you irony-challenged, humourless capitalist Schweinehund.

I think most people are not making the point that "If I haven't heard of it, then it can't be very important or worthwhile." but rather "It may not be the hugely popular place you, OP, think it is".  We all tend to think our favorite little corners of SL are far more important or popular than they really are.

I may be a capitalist Schweinehund, but I am not irony challenged or hunourless, thank you very much!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I think Scylla alluded earlier to the possibility that preservation has a downside. I'd not want SL to become a museum.

I would have loved to have more museums in SL, both preservations of virtual builds and presentations of RL ones. The grid is more than half the size of the RL earth so there's plenty of room to spare for them.

But unfortunately there's not enough server capacity and manpower. (Yes, manpower too - even a static sim needs monitoring and maintenancne.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

sigh star trek.gif

Derail time!

I have to say, I wasn't impressed with Voyager when it came out, but now that I am forcing myself to watch every episode in order (it's a little better than before, but I sure wish 7 of 9 would get here!) I'm really starting to like Janeway.  I love Sci-Fi with strong female leads.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

We all tend to think our favorite little corners of SL are far more important or popular than they really are.

This is true of pretty much everything in life, isn't it?

Drune is popular enough that I, a person who doesn't care at all for dystopian sims, had heard of it and visited it. I have no idea how that translates into foot traffic, of course.

4 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I think most people are not making the point that "If I haven't heard of it, then it can't be very important or worthwhile." but rather "It may not be the hugely popular place you, OP, think it is".  We all tend to think our favorite little corners of SL are far more important or popular than they really are.

If people who have been active in SL on a daily basis for more than a decade haven't heard of it, it might not be a great example of something that's going to attract a bunch of new people.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

How many derail posts have to occur before a thread is closed?  Do you know if there's a formula?

I say we put it to a test.

Let's spend the rest of the thread talking about how Tolya doesn't understand jokes.

It'll be a experiment!

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

If people who have been active in SL on a daily basis for more than a decade haven't heard of it, it might not be a great example of something that's going to attract a bunch of new people.

As a test, who has heard of Jo Yardley's regions, the first of which was 1920s ( I think) Berlin? 
Those are really amazing, esp if you are a history lover. 

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

As a test, who has heard of Joe Yardleys regions, the first of which was 1920s ( I think) Berlin? 
Those are really amazing, esp if you are a history lover.

Any sim with a building or structure simply sucks....lol     :)

Wilderness all the WAY.............

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

That is entirely possible, maybe even probable. But it's an argument that assumes a) that people on this forum are representative of SL as a whole (which I think is debatable), and b) that the best way to sustain SL is by offering the kind of thing that the current niche audience already likes

One can make the argument supporting something new and different, that isn't necessarily popular with the current resident base, is one way to open up a new target audience.

To be honest, though, I don't think that applies to Drune: it's well done, but in most ways it's very characteristic of a certain kind of popular sim in SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.