There can be only one...

Fauve Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1509 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

Derender is your friend.

Only if you use one of the third-party viewers. Many still prefer the LL Viewer which does not have this option, so is, therefor, not a very good recommendation for solution..

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
40 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

As for MY wish, I'm still holding out for cloth dynamics for clothing and hair. 

This is probably one of my biggest wishes for SL - possibly even my top item.

Which would require that  each individual avatar attachment be made physical, which will be when hell freezes over. BUT, Hell has frozen over in the past.

hell-froze-over.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Hahaha!

2 hours ago, cheesecurd said:

SL has actual competition in the form of VRchat

I think a contiguous world (like we have in SL, and like what Facebook Horizon will have), will be the greater competition. Not that most here will find legless avatars compelling, but Horizon could steal away those who want to try out a big, new interesting world (with the added capability of VR for those who want it, but functional without VR).

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

I really don’t think VR will ever truly catch on.

It might remain a niche market but I don't consider that a failure. I have lots of friends who love VR and spend a lot of time in it, looking forward to the increasing amount of games entering the market. Usage is increasing in professional fields too... training in medical areas is one example among many.

It's kind of like how I view SL...it's small compared to many other worlds/games but I still consider it a success even if it stays small.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

What, in your opinion, do you think is the single most important thing that LL could actually do in 2020 to ‘improve’ SL? 
And yes, I realize this is a very subjective question and answers about what constitutes ‘improvement’ can vary widely depending on preferences, focus, personal reasons & goals etc.

Change movement to work like a normal 3D environment... like the Black Dragon viewer has done.

I'm torn between that and one other feature BD also did: let me change my keybinds...

- They are actually related though...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

Reducing lag: A real, decent, upgradable engine. Think UE4, for example. Force people to pay attention to optimization. Script limits, complexity limits, polygon and texture limits. 

As others have said, cloth and hair physics like other MMOs have been doing for almost 10 years or more now. Getting caught up to 10 years ago shouldn't be an unreasonable request. 

Edited by Gadget Portal
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gadget Portal said:

As others have said, cloth and hair physics like other MMOs have been doing for almost 10 years or more now. Getting caught up to 10 years ago shouldn't be an unreasonable request. 

But, I’m happy being non mesh and I look just as good as everybody else! 

See, here’s a picture that I took today! (Gimme my damned like reactions nao!)

CB093159-81E6-43F4-8303-FC6F542AC1A5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

6 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

But, I’m happy being non mesh and I look just as good as everybody else! 

See, here’s a picture that I took today! (Gimme my damned like reactions nao!)

CB093159-81E6-43F4-8303-FC6F542AC1A5.jpeg

That's more or less how I would look if I ran my own opensim. Except my pants would be blue, my top would be black and white, and my hair would be red. 

Update the 'system' avatar.  What would be good would be to improve its mesh but in such a way that existing skin and clothing textures still fit and a chosen shape stays the same but joint articulation and general smoothness would be better.  The best thing of all would be if such an update could be introduced seamlessly, so one day you log in and your classic system avatar (if you still use one, like I do) looks better from close up.  

In addition to this an updated system avatar would benefit from being able to texture each arm or foot separately.  

Also more sliders would be useful, so that one could change the basic stance of one's avatar even before any animation over-ride is added.  Being able to alter the length of the thighs in relation to lower legs would be good too.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

Update the 'system' avatar.  What would be good would be to improve its mesh but in such a way that existing skin and clothing textures still fit and a chosen shape stays the same but joint articulation and general smoothness would be better.  The best thing of all would be if such an update could be introduced seamlessly, so one day you log in and your classic system avatar (if you still use one, like I do) looks better from close up.  

In addition to this an updated system avatar would benefit from being able to texture each arm or foot separately.  

Also more sliders would be useful, so that one could change the basic stance of one's avatar even before any animation over-ride is added.  Being able to alter the length of the thighs in relation to lower legs would be good too.

My avi is still a system one, although I wear mesh outfits on her.

39 minutes ago, Mahala Roviana said:

I'd like to see weather. Like.. a storm system moving across the map, occasional storms, surprise snowfall. Also, I apologize for replying to the original topic 😛

Earthquakes! We need good strong earthquakes in world to wipe out stuff and bury avis! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Conifer Dada said:

i have always wanted a Linden Avatar 2.0

i think tho that trying to retrofit Avatar 1.0 layers and mesh objects onto a 2.0 model would never get everything the same - converting object weightings would be a quite complex programming project for all current objects

if was me then I would make a Avatar 2.0 shape as a different asset, which can be picked in the Shape Editor.  Pick version 1.0 or 2.0. 2.0 having all the things you mention

if this were so then I think that in time more and more stuff will get made by resident creators for Avatar 2.0 shape, while Avatar 1.0 stuff will continue to work as it always has without disruption

• Like 2

On 1/28/2020 at 11:35 PM, Mollymews said:

i have always wanted a Linden Avatar 2.0

i think tho that trying to retrofit Avatar 1.0 layers and mesh objects onto a 2.0 model would never get everything the same - converting object weightings would be a quite complex programming project for all current objects

if was me then I would make a Avatar 2.0 shape as a different asset, which can be picked in the Shape Editor.  Pick version 1.0 or 2.0. 2.0 having all the things you mention

if this were so then I think that in time more and more stuff will get made by resident creators for Avatar 2.0 shape, while Avatar 1.0 stuff will continue to work as it always has without disruption

Agree completely.

There are technical aspects which could have a significant positive aspect but I'm not fluent enough in the specifics to try to talk about them.

But an improved standard avatar would help so many of the more (let's call them) societal aspects. Everyone would automatically have it so it could have strong support amongst creators, plenty of benefits to that. It would be simpler and more affordable for new residents to put together an initial avatar without having to choose which ecosystem to invest in. If they did it right it could be easier to render and less laggy.

So much could get a lot easier with an improved standard avatar.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 6:59 AM, Tolya Ugajin said:

Lag is seldom an issue for me, but I suspect it is the biggest reason new users walk back out the door and move on.

Yes. Read reviews by new users. Gamers today complain about games that can only maintain 60FPS. SL has trouble maintaining 24, let alone 30.

The viewer needs to maintain 30FPS at all times, even if that means not drawing or texturing some distant objects.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1509 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.