Sign in to follow this  
Electronic Mode

Please bring back last names

Question

No you are not alone, but I doubt it will be changed now and cause even more mess. In the long term v1 will be phased out and I expect Display Names will become more the norm (yuk). It is already obvious that a massive number of people are letting the system choose their username so they they are becoming more like IDs and people will rely on display names to have something that they can actually be called.

You have posted this on a Q&A section, but it is not really a question we can answer, you may want to repost it as a discussion thread over on the forums, where it will likely get more attention.

• Like 2

11 answers to this question

No you are not alone, but I doubt it will be changed now and cause even more mess. In the long term v1 will be phased out and I expect Display Names will become more the norm (yuk). It is already obvious that a massive number of people are letting the system choose their username so they they are becoming more like IDs and people will rely on display names to have something that they can actually be called.

You have posted this on a Q&A section, but it is not really a question we can answer, you may want to repost it as a discussion thread over on the forums, where it will likely get more attention.

• Like 2

I'm right there with you guys. Getting rid of last names, and introducing display names, is one of the dumbest thing LL has done since I joined. I have no idea of what the hell they were thinking.

I do think, though, that last names will not come back. Sad, really...

- Luc -

There used to be lots of moans that people couldn't change their surname when, for instance, they partnered someone and wanted to have the same. I always thought that just changing user-name would be possible since everyone has a unique ID (key) anyway, but I assume LL wanted to give us all the ability to see an unchanging user-name so we could recognise people.

So now we see an ever changing stream of display names in stead.... :smileymad: (Well I don't since I don't do display names)
Giving people the chance of changing their user name would have been infinitly better.

- Luc -

@Luc, I think that would be bad bad idea, can you imagine the fun the scammers and griefers would have with that....Get banned from land?..Change your name. Sell private land to people?...Reclaim it and change your name. AAH!!!

I think that no changes to login names is the best decision LL made, because its the one way we are guaranteed to be able to keep track of people.

You're probably right. I didn' think of that. All I know is that people have been asking, for instance, for a way to take their partners name. It came up often enough in the discussions after display names were introduced. They'd even pay for it, which would make the griefing scenario less likely, but the name they would want would most likely be taken anyhow.

- Luc -