Who wants to organize a "Belli 500" street/road race?

Devin Heartsong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Absolutely! 

For anyone who wants to try driving a Manji car in Bellisseria (best-handling car in SL) - feel free to grab one of mine (cars access are set top anyone):

for paved roads: https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/ASHTON VILLAGE/232/188/0
for Dirt roads: https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/TAWAKONI/184/64/0

And for kicks in https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Spini/234/189

Alyona, can the owner of a Manji car rez out a copy in a public rez zone and then give rights for anyone to drive that copy?  I’ve never tried rezzing a vehicle rezzer in a public rez zone, but I guess that could work too? And then of course race participants could grab their copies from the rezzer?

For the format I’ve outlined above, any fun and semi-challenging type of car could work fine. The main thing being everyone drives the same car type during the race event.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fushichou Mfume said:

Alyona, can the owner of a Manji car rez out a copy in a public rez zone and then give rights for anyone to drive that copy?  I’ve never tried rezzing a vehicle rezzer in a public rez zone, but I guess that could work too? And then of course race participants could grab their copies from the rezzer?

For the format I’ve outlined above, any fun and semi-challenging type of car could work fine. The main thing being everyone drives the same car type during the race event.

Yes. There is access to owner or everyone (I forget if group-only is available) - and the best part with the newer ones is that if you set access to everyone that it will change into a temporary when someone sits on it . - when they stand up it goes poof!  :) They are also the best scripted vehicles I've ever used in SL (and I've been here a few days) - they make ACS scripts feel like total amateur hack-jobs. (For example: most region crossings are nearly as fast as if you were avatar-flying across with no attachments or scripts.)

Edit to clarify:

You can rez a Manji willy-nilly anywhere you have rez rights. You can click for menu, set to Everyone. Now anyone can jump in and go.

What I do is rez one, set the access to everyone, turn on the lights, open a door. Take it into inventory then put THAT one into a scanning rezzer that rezzes one if the existing one disappears (is driven away) - they remember their state when you take them back into inventory.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sceneris said:

sounds fun, at least the road will be more utilize

@sceneris Would a race/party event like this be a fun thing for you to film and toss up on YouTube? I could imagine you being a “roving reporter” flying or teleporting around along with the race teams and grabbing footage during the race. ❤️ 

I could put embeds to your posted YT videos up on a “Belli 500” event page on my artist site, so that your footage from the last few races was always right there on the main info page.

Edited by Fushichou Mfume
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Fushichou Mfume said:

If instead the prevailing wind here leans in favor of a more technical format with waypoint scripts and solo-oriented “ghost runs” against some week-long leaderboard site, that’s fine too, but I’d leave organizing such a thing to peeps who are more experienced in that sort of thing.

The simpler this is the more likely it is to happen! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

The simpler this is the more likely it is to happen! 

while i posted about all the things to consider when setting up a more formal race, I think that road trips are more likely to attract people's participation. A road trip being a social event and not a competition

building off what Alyona has mentioned about same vehicle rezzers etc

just say

- event is organised to start and finish at Belli Showgrounds, or at somebody's Belli parcel

- participants can obtain a vehicle from the rezzer. The vehicle can be changed out for different kinds of road trips held at different times

- the rezzer also gives a HUD, which has the way stations in it, records that the participants have visited each of the waystations

- participant sits the vehicle, wears the HUD

- there is a roadtrip Console also on the parcel

- on completion of roadtrip, gone thru all the waypoints in order and returned to the start/finish location, the HUD reports to the Console

- when completed the roadtrip console gives the participant a ribbon and done

the simple HUD

- contains a list of inworld locations (the waypoints) Region name, X, Y Z.  (which could be loaded from a notecard, to make it simpler for the road trip organiser)

- the next waypoint to go to is shown on HUD

- when the participant arrives within say 20 meters of the waypoint, HUD notes this as complete, and then shows the next waypoint

- HUD checks that the avatar is sitting on the rezzed road trip vehicle - at start location, at waypoint locations, at finish location

the simple Console

- when within say 20 meters of the Console, the HUD sends a completion message to the console. Message: "Waypoint1 marker, Waypoint2 marker, ... etc marker, Finishpoint marker"

- the Console gives participant a ribbon

- the Console displays a list of the last X number of participants who were given a ribbon. The most recent participant in the 1st position - dropping names off the bottom of the list

edit add.

a thing is that because the HUD is uncoupled from the vehicle, then 2 (or more, seats providing) people could each rez a vehicle, each wear the HUD, and then get on the same vehicle. This way, one person can be the driver and the 2nd person be the navigator, and on completion both people would get a ribbon

Edited by Mollymews

18 hours ago, Mollymews said:

while i posted about all the things to consider when setting up a more formal race, I think that road trips are more likely to attract people's participation. A road trip being a social event and not a competition

building off what Alyona has mentioned about same vehicle rezzers etc

just say

- event is organised to start and finish at Belli Showgrounds, or at somebody's Belli parcel

- participants can obtain a vehicle from the rezzer. The vehicle can be changed out for different kinds of road trips held at different times

- the rezzer also gives a HUD, which has the way stations in it, records that the participants have visited each of the waystations

- participant sits the vehicle, wears the HUD

- there is a roadtrip Console also on the parcel

- on completion of roadtrip, gone thru all the waypoints in order and returned to the start/finish location, the HUD reports to the Console

- when completed the roadtrip console gives the participant a ribbon and done

the simple HUD

- contains a list of inworld locations (the waypoints) Region name, X, Y Z.  (which could be loaded from a notecard, to make it simpler for the road trip organiser)

- the next waypoint to go to is shown on HUD

- when the participant arrives within say 20 meters of the waypoint, HUD notes this as complete, and then shows the next waypoint

- HUD checks that the avatar is sitting on the rezzed road trip vehicle - at start location, at waypoint locations, at finish location

the simple Console

- when within say 20 meters of the Console, the HUD sends a completion message to the console. Message: "Waypoint1 marker, Waypoint2 marker, ... etc marker, Finishpoint marker"

- the Console gives participant a ribbon

- the Console displays a list of the last X number of participants who were given a ribbon. The most recent participant in the 1st position - dropping names off the bottom of the list

edit add.

a thing is that because the HUD is uncoupled from the vehicle, then 2 (or more, seats providing) people could each rez a vehicle, each wear the HUD, and then get on the same vehicle. This way, one person can be the driver and the 2nd person be the navigator, and on completion both people would get a ribbon

This would be a perfect setup. I wish I were skilled enough to create something like this. If it were reality I'd easily do it over and over and this and my alt. Because it's not about the price, it's about the activity of doing it.

Not sure an actual race is a great idea to be honest - a parade or tour sounds better. As soon as you use the word race, some people's competitive drive comes out, and it's not always pretty 😜

For planning something like a tour or just a drive, you could possibly use a common free HUD used by many sailors - called USB. It's easy to use, and you simply paste map coordinates into notecards to create a route. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.