Why doesnnt TAB work in SL?

Rob Huntsman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Haselden said:

Was always curious why tab doesnt let you switch between chat box and movement.

TAB moves the focus between controls on the current open window, in controls layout order

SHIFT+TAB does TAB in reverse order

CTRL+TAB moves the focus from the current window to the next open window. Bringing the newly focused window to the front

SHIFT+CTRL+TAB  does CTRL+TAB in reverse windows order

the viewer inworld display surface is a component and doesn't receive control focus in the same way as controls do and can't be tabbed to.  So as Lindal says ESC is used to set windowed control focus to  nil. Nil meaning that the main application default inputs handler typically processes keyboard/mouse/etc in this nil state

this design is pretty much universal to most GUI systems

Edited by Mollymews
typo
  • Like 1

SL seriously needs the ability to set your own keybinds...

Then we could just point to people who insist that typing the number '4783' should be how you trigger inworld search... that they can go ahead and make it so... :P

- And that's not just in humor... there are a LOT of keybinds I would personally change to more match what 'feels right' to me.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

It's 2020,you would think by now that I could get a recliner and a bag of cheezy puffs and lay back and just say what i want! \o/

Nooooo! we're still stuck with the 1980's walking up hill in the snow to school and back ,keyboard and mouse thingys..

Although, that might not be such a good idea anyways,because it would be really hard to walk and talk with a lot of cheezy puffs in my mouth..

could you imagine what the screen looked like just yelling because the voice commands were misunderstanding things?

All the yelling?

I withdraw my complaint..It would never work..

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It's 2020,you would think by now that I could get a recliner and a bag of cheezy puffs and lay back and just say what i want! \o/

Nooooo! we're still stuck with the 1980's walking up hill in the snow to school and back ,keyboard and mouse thingys..

Although, that might not be such a good idea anyways,because it would be really hard to walk and talk with a lot of cheezy puffs in my mouth..

could you imagine what the screen looked like just yelling because the voice commands were misunderstanding things?

All the yelling?

I withdraw my complaint..It would never work..

I yell at my computer enough without voice commands.  I think at least half my lag is due to hurt feelings.

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, suzyst said:

It's 2020,you would think by now that someone would have noticed we are no longer limited by the mechanical limitations of a century ago and don't need to use a keyboard designed to be the most difficult for people to use.

Then try the Dvorak keyboard and let us know how such a change feels. People go ballistically shrill when there is even the slightest change to something they're comfortable with.

For example: Which version of MS Windows had the user interface you liked best? Because every version keeps changing. On the Mac it's an easy choice: it's the same UI they've always had. And by now efficiency in using it couldn't be any better, no learning curve of the new new, unfamiliar. Just saying. :)

Edited by Alyona Su

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.