strange thing happens when I use BD

Grianee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been trying out the Black Dragon viewer when I go to Tralala's  Diner, my eyes either disappear or roll around in my head like something out of the exorcist. If I go in firestorm no problem.

I cant figure out why it happens.

• Haha 1

Firestorm, in it's last release, introduced a feature where you could limit the distance your LookAt would point at. It was flawed, in that enabling it would make your eyes go weird, just like you've described.

Did Niran include that code in the Black Dragon viewer? Have you enabled it in Black Dragon but not in Firestorm?

Otherwise, no idea.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KT Kingsley said:

Firestorm, in it's last release, introduced a feature where you could limit the distance your LookAt would point at. It was flawed, in that enabling it would make your eyes go weird, just like you've described.

Did Niran include that code in the Black Dragon viewer? Have you enabled it in Black Dragon but not in Firestorm?

Otherwise, no idea.

As much as he hates FS? I doubt it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KT Kingsley said:

Otherwise, no idea.

I dont know but since am just trying it out I dont know I did try with the pose tool which is great but lol just made it worse 

Although I have no issues with my eyes, I decided to connect my problem to this topic since it started to happen when I started to use BD as an alternative to Firestorm. There is a problem with my avatar, especially with the alpha and how my body looks for me and for people around me. 

For example yesterday morning I was wearing a specific dress when making pictures using BD. When I was done with pictures, I logged out and logged in almost immediately but this time using FS. I changed from that dress to jeans and a top. I spent maybe 30 minutes in world, logged out and came back after few hours, again using FS. When my avatar finally rezzed, I was wearing the same jeans and the same top but having alpha as if I had worn the dress. I wanted to fix the alpha but the hud was not responsive. I was on my own land where it always worked. I had to relog to be able to use the hud. 

Today I logged in (using FS) and it all looked perfectly normal to me but apparently everyone around me saw me with almost no body. I activated the body hud but according to what I saw only my legs should be invisible (under jeans) but the rest should be ok. Yet people around me saw only a top, a cardigan and a pair of jeans flying in the air on an invisible body. Detaching and attaching the body several times finally refreshed the hud with alpha matching the dress from yesterday! and then I could make myself visible for my friends. 

Possibly I am not the only one who experiences the issue because I saw today one person with her arms alpha'ed but I believe she saw her arms normally. 

I wonder how this is connected to switching the viewers and why FS "remembers" the alpha cuts of my body that were applied when I used BD. Second and more important thing is how I can actually stop it from happening. It is very annoying because either I see everything fine but others can't see parts of me or I am constantly stuck with alpha cuts from previous outfits (worn when using other viewer!) and a hud which doesn't respond. I can control what I see but apparently others don't see the same.

I didn't really change any settings in any of the viewers, I didn't change anything in my laptop settings as well so I hope I didn't break anything by myself. Maybe the answer and solution is obvious but I don't know it so please, help :) 

I haven't noticed this when switching between Firestorm and BD, but I have noticed it when switching between Firestorm and the official LL viewer. It does indeed "remember" some things (but not everything) from that viewer's last login session, not necessarily your last login on the other viewer.

The solution that works for me is to log into the new viewer, change into whatever you want to wear, then log out and log back in to the same viewer again. 

5 hours ago, Saskia Rieko said:

Although I have no issues with my eyes, I decided to connect my problem to this topic since it started to happen when I started to use BD as an alternative to Firestorm. There is a problem with my avatar, especially with the alpha and how my body looks for me and for people around me. 

For example yesterday morning I was wearing a specific dress when making pictures using BD. When I was done with pictures, I logged out and logged in almost immediately but this time using FS. I changed from that dress to jeans and a top. I spent maybe 30 minutes in world, logged out and came back after few hours, again using FS. When my avatar finally rezzed, I was wearing the same jeans and the same top but having alpha as if I had worn the dress. I wanted to fix the alpha but the hud was not responsive. I was on my own land where it always worked. I had to relog to be able to use the hud. 

Today I logged in (using FS) and it all looked perfectly normal to me but apparently everyone around me saw me with almost no body. I activated the body hud but according to what I saw only my legs should be invisible (under jeans) but the rest should be ok. Yet people around me saw only a top, a cardigan and a pair of jeans flying in the air on an invisible body. Detaching and attaching the body several times finally refreshed the hud with alpha matching the dress from yesterday! and then I could make myself visible for my friends. 

Possibly I am not the only one who experiences the issue because I saw today one person with her arms alpha'ed but I believe she saw her arms normally. 

I wonder how this is connected to switching the viewers and why FS "remembers" the alpha cuts of my body that were applied when I used BD. Second and more important thing is how I can actually stop it from happening. It is very annoying because either I see everything fine but others can't see parts of me or I am constantly stuck with alpha cuts from previous outfits (worn when using other viewer!) and a hud which doesn't respond. I can control what I see but apparently others don't see the same.

I didn't really change any settings in any of the viewers, I didn't change anything in my laptop settings as well so I hope I didn't break anything by myself. Maybe the answer and solution is obvious but I don't know it so please, help :) 

3 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

I haven't noticed this when switching between Firestorm and BD, but I have noticed it when switching between Firestorm and the official LL viewer. It does indeed "remember" some things (but not everything) from that viewer's last login session, not necessarily your last login on the other viewer.

The solution that works for me is to log into the new viewer, change into whatever you want to wear, then log out and log back in to the same viewer again. 

Sounds like something we've seen for many years now.

You may have heard that after you are done editing your avatar you might want to log out wait a bit and log in again, the reason people are saying this is it increases your chances of successfully logging out and saving all your changes properly whereas a crash will most likely result in not only losing any setting changes you may have done to the Viewer but also often lots if not all of your avatar modifications but even with a successful logout you might still see things you have previously changed revert back, its annoying when it happens and it is unrelated to any of the Viewers as far as i can tell. You log out and either it saves all your stuff or it doesn't. Its frustrating and is most likely just amplified on laggy or highly scripted places and lets not forget when a SIM crashes....

Thanks Matty. As I said, for me it was more than just one session, I believe it was at least 2 sessions back and it is always the same alpha set up. The biggest part of the problem was that yesterday evening I was not even aware it happened, only the people around me could tell something was wrong. It is very annoying when you can't fix it just because you don't see it is broken. 

I am not saying it is specifically BD or FS fault but I notice it only when I switch between these two. Didn't have the issue with official viewer a few weeks ago but maybe I should try to install it and check how it works. 

Just now, Saskia Rieko said:

Thanks Matty. As I said, for me it was more than just one session, I believe it was at least 2 sessions back and it is always the same alpha set up. The biggest part of the problem was that yesterday evening I was not even aware it happened, only the people around me could tell something was wrong. It is very annoying when you can't fix it just because you don't see it is broken. 

I am not saying it is specifically BD or FS fault but I notice it only when I switch between these two. Didn't have the issue with official viewer a few weeks ago but maybe I should try to install it and check how it works. 

I hope you are not sharing cache and/or settings between Viewers. Putting the cache into the same folder might cause all kinds of weird things as well.

This thread made me realize there is a viewer out there that lets me change keybinds AND uses proper movement controls:

https://niranv-sl.blogspot.com/2018/03/black-dragon-guide-movement-controls.html

I may have to download this thing ASAP and see how it looks...

An SL where I can actually move around NORMALLY... not sure if I could even handle that level of OMG...

O.o:P

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

This thread made me realize there is a viewer out there that lets me change keybinds AND uses proper movement controls:

https://niranv-sl.blogspot.com/2018/03/black-dragon-guide-movement-controls.html

I may have to download this thing ASAP and see how it looks...

An SL where I can actually move around NORMALLY... not sure if I could even handle that level of OMG...

O.o:P

Soon the Viewer will also yell at you when you screw up your keybinds.

unknown.png

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Am I correct in guessing that to use BD, I need to go put together an AO to wear, as i no built in AO system?

Yes. Unless LL gives us the ability to interface with the server side capabilities from within the Viewer without having to wear pesky scripts. Because THEN i'll be the first one to jump onto that.

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NiranV Dean said:

Yes. Unless LL gives us the ability to interface with the server side capabilities from within the Viewer without having to wear pesky scripts. Because THEN i'll be the first one to jump onto that.

Dare I even ask -why- there is the built in AO feature in FS but not in BD? 

Firestorm went on strike for me recently (it does that once a year or so with no way of finding out why) Anyhoo I am now using the official viewer and BD for the first time.

BD graphics are the best I have ever seen for SL. Basic stuff, like moving around feels more tricky. After reading the bad tempered blog post linked to above I see why, I am not a regular gamer so I'll have to learn what to me are new techniques. Downloading BD has been a transformative experience though, and I'm sticking with it.

I will check my eyeballs later :D

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Dare I even ask -why- there is the built in AO feature in FS but not in BD? 

I don't know why since i'm not a Firestorm dev but i'd assume because people asked for it.

I also assume though that the question wasn't about why they added it but why they have one despite me saying that i won't have one unless LL gives us proper capabilities to do so which would imply either that i'm full of ***** or FS found a hacky way to do it and that's exactly what they did: They force attach a bridge (i think everyone knows about the FS bridge by now) and this bridge contains a script (or maybe multiple) that communicate with the Viewer (most likely through a secret channel in local chat or possibly via direct IMs or llOwnerSay()) in some way to give it additional capabilities that can only be achieved by scripts because the Viewer lacks the ability to ask for these kind of information from the servers. The AO was just a normal AO scripts until they introduced server side AO capabilities, FS later changed (as far as i know) the AO stuff to use said server side capabilities. The point however remains that this requires attaching a script which requires attaching an attachment to you to do and by doing so you could as well just attach an AO.

Aside from that i'm really no fan of force attaching stuff to people. I'm not exactly the paranoid type but i'm kinda distrustful to these kind of things, especially coming from a Viewer that had a negative history line. Besides, unlike Firestorm i can't just snip with my fingers and people will praise me as if i were Jesus's second coming, neither can i afford to do something as eyebrow raising as forcefully attaching an object to anyone using my Viewer, i had a long way to build some reputation and only just recently is my Viewer getting some more attention. I'd potentially risk everything if just some random paranoid dude shows up and makes up some rumors that i might be doing nefarious ***** with the attached object. I've already seen some people pointing at me saying that i could do all kinds of potentially nefarious stuff with my attitude and they are sadly right, i could, the more i learn about coding the more chances open up to do something bad... so personally i just want to stay as far away from anything that might make me look shady, as possible.

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.