You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 141 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How does one go about making a bento animated pet?

Do I make mesh the skeleton as usual, deform it, lock joints, and animate it? 

But then how to a rig it smaller than the SL bento skeleton and be beside the bento skeleton as an attachment or holdable? 

I haven't found much details on this, hence why I ask!

I intend on making a small pet bunny with a sparkly specular map and MAYBE particles as it is a sparkling bunny that emits 'glitter'. Which I'm not quite sure how to go about particles either. Specular mapping, there is a specific texture name and template in Blender 2.79 for this.

I have Blender 2.79 and Avastar.

Then what do people mean by 'bento' in companion pets then... if they are not frame animation...

I always hear and see it as 'bento companion'. And I figured that would be better in terms of making one instead of animesh due to the limits of animesh being you can only wear one (or two if premium).

A bento pet is a mesh object rigged to the avatar's bento appendages, which animations are run in parallel on the avatar itself. This method of course can interfere with any other bento attachments using the same set of bones as your pet. 

An animesh pet instead is a character rigged to the full skeleton as if it were an avatar and then turned into animesh inworld (indeed if you don't, wearing it would turn your avatar into the pet). This means that its animations will need to be driven by a dedicated script. 

Both methods have their own limitations: the bento method is limited to the available bento joints needed to animate it, the animesh instead is limited by design to one animesh attachment per avatar. 

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a Bento skeleton/joints/bones as people commonly refer to:

25085e96563bafc47a6b4e0962c5ecf8.gif

This is an Animesh pet companion:

79083536fc76cc59ec75ef003eead54a.gif

An Animesh object uses the Bento joints, and a script is run to play animations on it, this is how it looks like in world:

a6bb210f6ed17322fd347ba4ecd903b0.gif

You definitely don't want a pet using the joints of your avatar, this will highly limit the animations you can have on it.

• 4 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 141 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.