Reasonable price to rent a full homestead?

InnerCity Elf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What is a reasonable price to rent a homestead? I've seen anything between 5400 and I think 7300 L$/week, that's a big difference per month over a year or more, so I think there might be a reason. Some people say their homestead is on extra fast servers or such but I'm not sure if that really means anything?

And else, I can't really see differences, I know you can get full sims with either 20 000 or 30 000 prims but the prim amount you get for a homestead seems always 5 000, and the size is always the same too, and you get estate manager rights from everyone too when you rent the full homestead.

Does it make sense to pay a minimum or medium price or even a high price because there are peaks I'm not aware of, or is it best to find the cheapest deal?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rayyn said:

. Some people say their homestead is on extra fast servers or such but I'm not sure if that really means anything?

this means nothing, just sales talk ..éven when it would be the case, if another homestead on the same sim( normally 4 if i'm not wrong)  would use lot of resources you would lag worse than be on a old 3rd class server with 8 homesteads on one sim.

7 minutes ago, rayyn said:

the prim amount you get for a homestead seems always 5 000, and the size is always the same too

all regions, no matter the type are 65536 sqm
the Li is tied to the type, only FP sims can buy a higher amount.

12 minutes ago, rayyn said:

Does it make sense to pay a minimum or medium price or even a high price because there are peaks I'm not aware of, or is it best to find the cheapest deal?

many landlords are registered businesses .. some are not..  so for many there's a tax benefit that non companies don't have.
If it's a european landlord not business, he would even have a average of 20% higher fee to pay to LL ..also a tax mechanism.

Some landlords have grandfathered homesteads = locked lower fees ...
Some landlords offer a very good support, while others let you alone and don't need employees for that...fro experienced users no problem but if you are a starter and have no clue about running a homestead/region, it can be of a lot of help to have a landlord present to help.

many reasons for the price differences... and one more:  how much return is desired by the landlord... faster income or more longterm.

As last .. look at the reputation of a landlord .. paying 5k a week and you end homeless after 3 days because he pulls the plug, won't be a fun experience...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the detailed answer! I see, I wasn't aware of some of those points, and you're right, that wouldn't be much fun, especially since I'd hope to pay monthly for a better rate. 

Why would a european landlord have to pay 20% higher fee, or do you mean currency conversion? I'm european myself, if I could pay a european landlord in euros instead of L$, that would be better then for both of us probably. I've seen two or three landlords that offer PayPal payment, so that should work, there was no price listed for full homesteads on their websites though. On the other hand, I guess the landlords who have grandfathered homesteads are mostly American.

I don't think I'd need help from a landlord other than them to give me the necessary role/permissions to manage the homestead, I know what I want to do and I know how to do it. I'd like to not overpay for no good reason. I had hoped it might be cheaper if you rent long term and pay monthly, I'm just seeing weekly prices everywhere, which surprised me, seeing that probably people who rent a whole sim will want to use it long-term, hmm, I guess that's because people don't want to pay monthly then for fear of "ending up homeless" while having paid already. 

So I might need to do a bit more research but thanks again, at least now I know there actually could be reasons for higher prices and non-reasons too like the extra fast server talk.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rayyn said:

Why would a european landlord have to pay 20% higher fee, or do you mean currency conversion?

VAT 20% :(

Although figures are quoted at weekly rates, you can usually pay several weeks on the meter. I usually pay weekly at first to see how we go, then, when I'm happy with everything start paying monthly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oooh, but why would only European landlords pay VAT? Wouldn't everyone who runs that as a business IRL have to pay that, including Americans? I mean, I know there are different % of VAT throughout the American states but in Europe too. 

Okay, forget that, I just looked at a US map with the sales tax shown for each state, that's definitely a disadvantage for Europeans then.

Check out RGF -- cheapest prices on the grid and been around forever. 

I hop around homesteads, if they raise the price a bit I wait for them to lower prices again and move if necc to a different sim. The servers to me all seem the same...  I go by price, why pay $2000L more per week for the same thing?? I've been renting land for 10 years.. Like OP says, I don't need anyone holding my hand regarding managing a plot of land or a HS sim, so I go by price.

Use the land sales page in the viewer, find it on the search function, the little magnifying glass.... search by size, I do >65500 for a HS, then sort by price. RGF sells the land @ 288L for all regardless of tier -- so look for that price & then click on the HS ones to see what weekly tier they are asking. They do vary a little bit, I have had some at $4988L and they are average around maybe $5588L -- more or less, just keep an eye on them!! 

Edited by Stina Bouvier
add a thought about Land Sales page
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the replies, and Stina for the detailed info, that's really helpful!

ETA: I tried the tip with the land sales tab, that works nicely, I didn't have the idea to use land sales for looking for renting property before. It just listed 7 homesteads and all by the same landlord (not RFG) and all for 7000 rent and 1LS sales price, but I'll keep looking. It's nice that you can see the homestead names right away too. Not the major factor but if I can choose between different names for the same price, that's a plus.

Edited by rayyn

Thank you, yes, I checked a few websites already, unfortunately those often don't tell you the prices at all, or only weekly prices, and often not if you have to pay in SL or can pay via PayPal in $ or €, so I guess contacting is the only way to really find out, once I've narrowed it down. I'm a bit hesitant to contact real estate agents, even if it's virtual real estate agents 😅 but I guess I'll have to sooner or later.

9 minutes ago, rayyn said:

. I'm a bit hesitant to contact real estate agents, even if it's virtual real estate agents 😅 but I guess I'll have to sooner or later.

don't go to a real estate agent ... just use the support/sales eployee of the landlord, they can provide you with all info concerning thát landlord and prices/rebates.
You can always take a day to think and compare others, most have loads of homesteads available at the moment.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rayyn said:

Right, I've checked out your link and there were so many listed ...

Wow, you're not kidding! I wonder if it's normal for that Estate to carry so much Homestead inventory - so many times as much as Full region stock. 

Because you mentioned the "extra fast server" scams, I'd just note that a Homestead gets only a quarter as much time for everything (scripts, object updates, avatar simulation, etc) as a Full region does. But I realize you probably already know all about Homesteads (including the avatar limits) and are sure it's what you want.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, rayyn said:

Right, I've checked out your link and there were so many listed that I'm wondering how that even can be a worthwhile business if they have so many empty homesteads but I guess it might work if they have good rates themselves.

you will never know what rates those big landlords pay. The Atlas program, for bíg landlords, is one of the best kept secrets in SL, we only really know that it exists...  but you can take for true that they pay something different than the official prices.
Also..many of those regions are grandfathered, while the normal prices are billed to the residents that rent.

see here the list how regions are held... the Lindens only have 1/3 of the total
2024e8a02da7345d607e151f87fbb0e5.png

this is a older list, but you can imagine a bit how big some landlords are

a6ebfb668433eba8fe8cb0959d6f6a91.png

The name i gave is a respectable landlord, in size, ánd not less important in time that it is in business.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2020 at 4:41 PM, Jules Catlyn said:

Usually the lower the price, the bigger the risk ending up homeless. Yeah i would research thoroughly and pay a little extra and go with a reputable company. 

Where do you get that from?  There are people like myself who let out land at no profit simply for convenience.

• Thanks 3

On 1/29/2020 at 5:39 PM, Garnet Psaltery said:

Where do you get that from?  There are people like myself who let out land at no profit simply for convenience.

If you don't mind me asking, you do that because you want a whole region or homestead but don't need all the space and prims and so you sublet at your own cost, or are there other reasons? I'm curious :)

1 hour ago, rayyn said:

If you don't mind me asking, you do that because you want a whole region or homestead but don't need all the space and prims and so you sublet at your own cost, or are there other reasons? I'm curious :)

I enjoy the freedom and peace of living in my own region but I don't need more than a quarter to live in, so I share the cost.  That's it, really. :) 

• Like 1

Being able to do my own landscaping and all is the main reason that makes me want a whole homestead. I've rented a lot of places, and also "owned" a mainland plot, so the allure now is to create a whole homestead myself. A landscaped homestead would be "wasted on me" as I'd return everything to start over from scratch. If there were homesteads with "mandatory" landscaping provided which you couldn't return, I'd not rent one of those even if it was much cheaper than an "empty" homestead. 

But I've seen your ads, your images look pretty, and your rentals are certainly a good option for people who don't like to tinker around and just want to party or whatever on their homestead and not play God and move mountains, sculpt rivers, let forests grow overnight or play architect and place bridges and paths and ... too much fun for me to do to let someone else do it when I pay a small fortune for my virtual playground :) 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 2/6/2020 at 10:20 PM, Imagin Illyar said:

I'm replying because I want to point out that there are also differences in landscaping provided that may be of interest to some.

Landscaping and awards all fine and dandy ... however, for my liking, I never cared for your ads because you never mention any prices in your posts, so from my perspective, they are unattractive right from the start.

That and what rayyn said.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 5:58 AM, rayyn said:

What is a reasonable price to rent a homestead? I've seen anything between 5400 and I think 7300 L$/week, that's a big difference per month over a year or more, so I think there might be a reason. Some people say their homestead is on extra fast servers or such but I'm not sure if that really means anything?

And else, I can't really see differences, I know you can get full sims with either 20 000 or 30 000 prims but the prim amount you get for a homestead seems always 5 000, and the size is always the same too, and you get estate manager rights from everyone too when you rent the full homestead.

The grandfathered homesteads are $95 a month. So in order to get that tier paid, you would have to charge $25,333 for the month or $6,333 per week. So $7,000 is not much more than the cost, but still enough to make a little profit, and if you have bunches of them, it ads up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.