View Angle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Aloha everyone. I'd like to change my view angle to a flat plane, so that I can view a sim as my avatar does. The default view is something like 30-45 degrees above and behind the avatar. Using camera controls I can change that, but as soon as my avatar moves the default angle is restored. Using the "view angle" slider in preferences is nearly identical to the "distance" slider - moving either one just zooms in and out at that same default 30-45 degree angle. Is there any way to change that default to a lower angle?

Thanks Molly! That 2011 post described exactly what I'm trying to achieve (especially handy with low ceilings): The "shopping with a new perspective" photo is what I want. I played around with Debug settings, even copying the ones shown in that post, but the *angle of view* remains unchanged. Changing the X and Z settings sends the view up or down, but does not flatten the angle. The Y setting moves left or right. 

I wonder if it is no longer possible to change viewing angle in more recent SLV / Firestorm builds???

Wai

7 hours ago, Waiomao said:

The "shopping with a new perspective" photo is what I want. I played around with Debug settings, even copying the ones shown in that post, but the *angle of view* remains unchanged. Changing the X and Z settings sends the view up or down, but does not flatten the angle. The Y setting moves left or right.

not quite sure exactly what you mean by flatten the angle of view but I guess it means the height of the camera relative to the head height of our avatar

these are my Debug settings for the Linden viewer:

FocusOffsetRearView : X = 0.9 Y = 0.0 Z = 0.8
CameraOffsetRearView : X = -3.3 Y = 0.0 Z = 0.0

i like my rear camera angle up a tiny bit

pic of CameraOffset... Z = 0.0 when press ESC

camera0_002.thumb.png.378931dd7d7501d31d0247ab0f92d3c1.png

to lower the angle from the rear then:

FocusOffsetRearView : X = 0.9 Y = 0.0 Z = 0.8 (same as above)
CameraOffsetRearView : X = -3.3 Y = 0.0 Z = -0.3

where we use a negative value for Z. Like -0.1 -0.2 -0.3 etc

pic of Z =  -0.3

camera3_001.thumb.png.5827eebc62414711dce1506944b1c7b1.png

• Like 1

There's always Mouselook also. You can set it to show full User Interface in that, also. (Serious reply comment, not trying to be sarcastic here.) Just hold the ALT key when you want to use the mouse pointer.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Mollymews said:

to lower the angle from the rear then:

FocusOffsetRearView : X = 0.9 Y = 0.0 Z = 0.8 (same as above)
CameraOffsetRearView : X = -3.3 Y = 0.0 Z = -0.3

where we use a negative value for Z. Like -0.1 -0.2 -0.3 etc

Thanks Molly!!!! That CameraOffsetRearView setting was exactly what I needed. Exploring "through the eyes of the avatar" feels far more natural!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.