Lenovo Legion Y540 - GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6GB

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1543 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all...

Just wondering if anyone knows if the Lenovo Legion Y540 laptop with the GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6GB graphics should run SL smoothly? Is there something in SL setting to change for rezzing or lagging issues? Or is there possibly a setting within my laptop graphics that needs tweeked? Or maybe is this laptop not cut out for SL as I was told it should be? Ugh! 

Here are the specs...

Processor: 1x Intel Core i7-9750H Processor()
Memory: 1x 16GB DDR4 2666
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64(EN:English)
Hard Drive: 1x 1TB PCIe
Wireless Network: 1x
Ports: 1x RJ-45
Camera: 1x
Graphics: 1x GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6GB
Monitor: 17.3 1920x1080

Thanks in advance!

It is an excellent machine and should run SL without any problems.

It had two graphics cards, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (Laptop)  and an onboard Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Optimus), be sure you use the GForce when running SL and gaming and high demanding programs. To me it sounds like you run SL with the on chip-set Intel UHD Graphics 630.

NVIDIA_Control_Panel.thumb.png.57e34eac052822ede0f2d666f8f75702.png

Use the NVidia Control Panel and use setup as show above. If you do not use Firestorm, select the SL Viewer or what viewer you are using.

12 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Can you say what the issue is? My graphics card is WAY less powerful than your and SL runs great.  

Thanks for the reply. Issues are graphics of items not fully loading or loading then fading or graying out, unable to stop walking/flying and end up on a different parcel, being logged out, items not rezzing, walking/flying then get stuck and unable to move. Im wondering if Im having network issues. Ive ran SL on wifi and hardwired my laptop and still have the same issues. 

11 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Every Nvidia graphics card with “GTX” in the name that can run SL should be able to run it smoothly. If you’re having problems rezzing items, it may be a network issue rather than a graphics issue.

Im thinking maybe network issues too. Ive used wifi and then hardwire and still have the same issues. I did do a speed test and my internet is hit or miss. May need to increase my internet.

On 1/25/2020 at 10:23 AM, Pear Sevier said:

Thanks for the reply. Issues are graphics of items not fully loading or loading then fading or graying out, unable to stop walking/flying and end up on a different parcel, being logged out, items not rezzing, walking/flying then get stuck and unable to move. Im wondering if Im having network issues. Ive ran SL on wifi and hardwired my laptop and still have the same issues. 

Those are 100% network problems.

Could be anything from your home network just not being up to snuff or it might be windows, windows update always has affinity for some reason over your network and it will eat bandwidth. Check your task manager and sort tasks by network usage and see if anything is eating some obscene amount of bandwidth

On 1/25/2020 at 4:23 PM, Pear Sevier said:

(...)loading then fading or graying out(...)

This one happens when the viewer doesn't get enough memory to use.

First make sure you are using a 64 bit viewer.
Then turn on your Nvidia graphics card like you were told by Rachel1206 if you haven't already, by default your system won't detect (most) SL viewers as an application that could benefit from your graphics card, so it will run it off your CPU alone unless you tell it to use your GPU.
Then on your viewer go to Preferences > Graphics > Hardware Settings, and set the Viewer Memory Texture Buffer to 2048.
Don't run SL with your laptop unplugged, you'll hit the limits of the power delivery of your battery.
Keep it as cool as possible, don't have it on your lap or on top of a blanket, make sure there is plenty of airflow, get a cooling pad.
Prefer the hardwire over WiFi when ever possible.

Other than that, there are a lot of settings you can tweak to improve your performance.

Draw Distance: 128 meters max unless you are flying or sailing, for your day to day chat/club/shop you can probably live with 88 meters.
Water Reflections: Minimal, unless you are taking a picture near the water, you can live without reflections and enjoy a better performance.
Max. Particle Count: 2048, should be plenty to see the important effects.
Max. # of non-impostor avatar: 7, this will show all your friends or the people closest to your camera and 2D all the others, don't worry, the system can turn them back to 3D as needed quickly.
LOD: 2, 3 max, you only wanna go to 4 or above if you are taking a long shot picture.
Limit Framerate: 30, uncaped it will likely go between 20-200, your display only shows 60 and no, all those extra frames won't do a thing for input latency on a thing like SL, cap it to 30 and enjoy a consistent experience instead of watching drop to 1/10 after a teleport to a busy place.
Depth of Field: Off, this can be very taxing on your GPU depending on how you set it, it's more for a cinematic effect, you won't miss it on day to day use.

If after all that you still see the textures going "in and out of focus" constantly in front of you (which you shouldn't, you'll have enough memory) then consider turning on Lossy Texture Compression and Restrict max size to 512px.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1543 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.