Best places to play Poker or similar card games?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You CAN'T bet real money.  Or, if you do, you'll be violating the Terms of Service.

Gambling (including poker, even though many consider it to be a game of skill) is not allowed in SL.

You can play poker, as long as nothing of actual value (that is to say, $L) is wagered.  But that takes all the fun out of it, at least in my view.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I've been looking for some places to play Texas Hold 'Em Poker, but they seem to be fairly empty. I'm looking for a place where I don't need to bet real money.

I've tried playing poker in SL for years, bought just about every table out there.  Not sure why, but they always seem to stop working after a while.  Most of them have pretty clunky operation, too.  Your best bet is probably to get together a group of friends and play with them, just like in RL.  To make it more "real" have everyone get the same snacks and beer for during the game.  If you get 4-6 people who like to play with the same normal online times, it can be a very fun weekly event.

Lindal makes a good point, you can't actually gamble, and none of the tables you'll find are set up to actually facilitate the gambling of $L, because idiots in RL pass laws to control your morality, and poker is ebul and the work of the debul.  I've never looked into it, but I would assume the host offering a prize for the winner, with the players not having to contribute (ie. wager) anything to play would be OK, because then it is not gambling, which by definition requires the player to be risking something.  Then at least you get a little thrill out of winning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I am not good at poker, and I want to change that

I am looking for some people to play regularly as a small group  in order to improve skills and try out some strategies. We can discuss timing.

I already set up a small private skybox for that purpose. We are not playing for L$ for obvious reasons.

Any body interested please send PM or contact me Inworld.

(I know it's an old thread!)

32 minutes ago, Caroline Takeda said:

I am not good at poker, and I want to change that

I am looking for some people to play regularly as a small group  in order to improve skills and try out some strategies. We can discuss timing.

I already set up a small private skybox for that purpose. We are not playing for L$ for obvious reasons.

Any body interested please send PM or contact me Inworld.

(I know it's an old thread!)

poker wothout a bet ??

lol

poker is pure gamble card games, it needs bet, 

and need valuable thing to bet to make it really poker. and thats is L$. poker without L$ = will ruin the game, people can run the game with stupid high bet since they not afraid lose any L.

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist

The House of cards is my place as Rowan mentioned. Currently there are 20 different card games available to play including Texas Holdem and will be adding a few more soon.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Taesot/35/95/81

Next door is The Gamers Grind which is a board game cafe environment which has various board and dice games. 

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Taesot/42/135/90

Be aware of Second Life wagering and skill game polices though. The games here cost nothing to play non money and just for fun as it seems you are looking for. We are hoping players will donate when they do come to play.Land is not cheap eeek. :D I am trying to regrow our umbrella company's group Celestial Game Tower to help gamers reach each other. I am working on some game caller boards if I can get them to work.  

Edited by Sorina Garrigus

15 hours ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

and need valuable thing to bet to make it really poker. and thats is L$. poker without L$ = will ruin the game, people can run the game with stupid high bet since they not afraid lose any L.

freerolling requires a different mindset and strategy. The variance is way more volatile due to the way people play freeroll

my fav game is the freeroll tournament with unlimited rebuys in the first hour. The strategy in this game is to build our stack in that first hour. And because of this then the strategy is to get all our chips in when the math says so. Like our hand is 1:5 to win but the payoff is 1:6 because everyone before us has already gone allin. This is a correct play - shove allin

going into the second hour, then deep stack is always best. But when have a shallow stack in the second hour then be very aggressive with it. In or out

drives some regular money players bananas when they first come into these games.  The play is extremely aggressive (compared to a real money game) for the reason you mention - the only cost is time to play the game

in another thread on here I mentioned my journey on this 3D poker site I found on the internet. So I thought cool! I have a go. In freeroll is best to set a target and try to accomplish it. My goal was to accumulate a $1 million bankroll. Nobody played tournaments on the site, so I had to do it playing the ring game tables and be hyper aggressive. So do that and voila

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.