motorcycle riding or driving problems with roads

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, rasterscan said:

I wonder what flying is like in sl these days ? Is it easier on region crossings cos' one is much higher up ? 

A bit easier on sim crossings, but I think that is more down to there being less to rezz than the crossings themselves.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2020 at 1:25 PM, TDD123 said:

Set your view distance low : ranging from 64 to 128 .. not any higher.

That range is not "low" - it is sane, though for non-vehicle use you could go up to 256.

And the movement option concerning region crossing is present even in the current version of Firestorm.

On 1/24/2020 at 6:25 PM, TDD123 said:

Set your view distance low : ranging from 64 to 128 .. not any higher.

I would recommend setting the draw distance higher for mainland travel.

You need to see ahead to steer and the next region won't be prompted to load until you can see it. For my computer with sailing about 200 is optimum for most circumstances. In busy areas along rivers or when riding I would reduce it a bit, but would try not to go lower than about 160m. Anything less than 128m and I don't think you would see where you were going and would have to stop and wait at most Region crossings for the next Region to appear. What is optimum for each person will depend on their graphics card, their internet connection and how much stuff there is around to rezz.

Never try to go into the next sim if it is showing red on your minimap, or you can't see it at all, that is a guaranteed crash the Region isn't ready to handover.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 2

Spend a lot of "seat time" in your vehicle on stand-alone regions and on mainland.  Get used to the variations of different conditions and your computer/settings/vehicle, etc.  There's a lot of good information offered here thus far.  Understand too that everyone is different in their vehicle, graphics card, connection speed, location, etc.  I suggest you try the various suggestions in the areas you prefer to ride and see which ones work for you by improving the overall experience.  Not all situations are the same and what works for one person may not work all or in-part for others.  But, certainly try them and see which does work.  The number of personal scripts on your avatar is a bit misleading.  While generally the more scripts you carry, the more memory you use, but that's not entirely true all the time.  More important is the script memory used in mb.  Keep an open mind too about the location as not all roads, tracks and riding regions are built the same.  Quality varies everywhere.  The amount of textures and their size is a huge factor in some areas and affects overall performance. 

Full disclosure: I build & ride motorcycles & limited edition hi-speed performance boats.  I maintain my own full region/riding 'sim'/store where I can control the lag within some reasonable fashion for purposes of building, testing, selling and demos for customers to test ride.  That being said, I also perform a lot of 'seat time' on mainland and on the seas testing in areas of high lag and traffic for the express purpose of building better vehicle.  Aircraft I fly just for fun.

On mainland, the seas & waterways, private regions, anyplace I'm riding, flying or boating I keep the draw distance at 320m so I can see everything on the region I'm traveling as well as the region on approach.  Riding a motorcycle I run lower gears and speeds on mainland because there are so many textures rezzing all the time and the region crossings, of course.  Not all vehicles are geared the same so that needs to be taken into consideration.  In the air I like to fly jets, so my speeds tend to be mid range to high speed and I don't have a lot of problems overall.  Yes, there are going to be times when high speed flight is out of the question and that's OK considering most of the better made aircraft can maintain reasonable level flight at low speed with flaps down.  Sailing, I like the ease and relaxation of sailing and generally have few problems as long as I pay attention to the surroundings.  I don't find crossing at an agle to be problematic as long as it's not on a corner or set of 4 corners.  That is certain death!

Now for high performance power boating, things get interesting.  I like high speed boating in RL & SL, so naturally my SL boats have to be fast; very fast.  Testing for my personal boats is at the same 320m draw distance with my Maitreya avatar, mesh sneakers, layer applier jeans and a mesh shirt or bikini top of some kind as long as my overall memory used for personal scripts is less than 900mb.  Then, the boat is tested at wide open throttle with no additional boost added for 50 - 100 crossings in 1 run at wide open throttle.  To put this in perspective a typical run might be from the Cividale pyramid south through the Blake Sea, west past Nautilas, then south again to Kingpost.  

I only explain all this to place some context and perspective for my point of view.  This is in no way an indication of the performance you might or might not have with any given vehicle/computer/connection, etc.  Just try yours in various situations and locations and find what works for you.  I don't have a super computer, just an average out-of-the-box store bought PC with a decent connection speed and mildly upgraded graphics card.

YMMV and good luck. 

Edited by RoxyCyn
punctuation
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.