Connectivity issues again

MBeatrix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had weird things happening 20 - 30 minutes ago. Huds became inoperative, but did eventually work. I've had to bale out for RL reasons. I hope I'll get back in later!

(Might just have been a localised sim problem, but you never know these days!)

Edited by Odaks

1 minute ago, Odaks said:

I had weird things happening 20 - 30 minutes ago. Huds became inoperative, but did eventually work. I've had to bale out for RL reasons. I hope I'll get back in later!

This sounds like what was happening with me before I crashed last night and couldn't get back in.  One of my HUDs stopped responding and editing an object kept freezing and then was okay and then would freeze again.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Odaks said:

(Might just have been a localised sim problem, but you never know these days!)

It's the damned Frisco mice chomping the cables😝
Or worse — AZ rats!

[EDIT] Yay! Logged in!

Edited by MBeatrix
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's looking as though the still-working tracking sites, reporting things such as concurrency, can't be relied on at the moment. I do see the problem that hit overnight at https://eregion.kicks-ass.net/munin/servers/akari.eregion.home/SL_Online_Now.html but updates stopped and http://dwellonit.taterunino.net/sl-statistical-charts/ hasn't updated since Wednesday. Since both seem to use their site's localtime it's not so obvious the updates stopped. Both show the Sunday spike, and it's unusual for them both to be stalled.

Do the Lindens still emphasise total sign-ups rather than concurrency in their publicity? The longer-term concurrency charts seem to show a steady decline, and if they're still pointing to total sign-ups if feels like typical Silicon Valley economics

Referring back to the eregion/munin SL stats, they have now updated and show today's blips.  Clearly something is recurring and while this doesn't look like a typical DDoS, something is repeatedly causing wholesale logouts.  I experienced one last UK evening.  It was completely unexpected and all before and after was absolutely normal  (infact better than normal since I'd been sailing, something I have not been able to do for weeks).

I really think this one has the Lindens scratching their heads, as we sit pulling our hair out!

As regards the concurrency issue, it is indeed very real and Linden Lab seem to be in denial....not a good state of mind.

Since I didn't notice any log-in problems myself there could be something ISP-related in the mix. Remember, every IP packet comes with a source address and if they're not logging that for all log-in traffic, it's a bit of a security weakness. I have a permanent IPv4 address, which is pretty unusual on the modern internet, and if that's why I didn't see any problems something is really messed up.

I know that in many ways, I am not typical, neither hardware nor software/firmware.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.