Hi, so has anyone else had the issue of their firestorm viewer randomly freezing for a second and then closing itself out?

It is becoming really common and sometimes it happens minutes apart some sometimes it wont do it for an hour or so but it does always happen. I never get a crash message or anything it simply just poofs and closes itself. This is the only program on my computer that does this, I have already tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling firestorm.

Has this happened to you? How did you fix it? Any knowledge or tips would  be appreciated. :)

• Like 1

Have you tried another viewer? It is most lkely not Firestorm, but rather an issue with your computer system.

I've had that happen a few times. There's nothing useful in Firestorm's log when that happens. It's not unusual to get that after spending time in a very busy sim and then trying to teleport out.

Someday I should build Firestorm from source again, run it under the debugger, and find the problem.

It might be worth running Firestorm in a window and having the Windows task manager (or Linux LxTask)  window positioned so you can keep an eye on the memory usage. I've seen this leap alarmingly when in sims with lots of mesh buildings and large textures and Advanced Lighting enabled.

A sudden poof away sounds very like running out of memory.

My workaround in Windows is to run the 32-bit version because it seems less greedy on Ram, but in Linux you're stuck with 64-bits unless you build it yourself.

My workaround in Linux is to avoid certain places. Once CTD-ed, twice shy.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 12:25 AM, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

It might be worth running Firestorm in a window and having the Windows task manager (or Linux LxTask)  window positioned so you can keep an eye on the memory usage. I've seen this leap alarmingly when in sims with lots of mesh buildings and large textures and Advanced Lighting enabled.

A sudden poof away sounds very like running out of memory.

My workaround in Windows is to run the 32-bit version because it seems less greedy on Ram, but in Linux you're stuck with 64-bits unless you build it yourself.

My workaround in Linux is to avoid certain places. Once CTD-ed, twice shy.

SL 32bit already crashes at ~3.2gb memory usage, using a 32bit version just to reduce memory usage sounds like a bad idea unless you only have 4gb to begin with, with 8+gb memory should be of no concern.

I do agree though it sounds much like an out-of-memory crash, it could be a logout crash or just a super random crash too.

4 hours ago, NiranV Dean said:

unless you only have 4gb to begin with

Yes, Motherboard only accepts 2 x 2GB sticks.

The OP hasn't stated what spec they're running, I'm assuming it's lowish as most people with super machines love to show what they've got .

2 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Yes, Motherboard only accepts 2 x 2GB sticks.

The OP hasn't stated what spec they're running, I'm assuming it's lowish as most people with super machines love to show what they've got .

I'm still surprised how you can even run Windows on 4GB... maybe its just Windows dynamically using more or less depending on how much is available but neither Windows 7 nor 10 ran with much less than 4gb when booting on a fresh copy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NiranV Dean said:

I'm still surprised how you can even run Windows on 4GB... maybe its just Windows dynamically using more or less depending on how much is available but neither Windows 7 nor 10 ran with much less than 4gb when booting on a fresh copy.

Probably running on page files...

53 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Probably running on page files...

You mean the thing that should actually prevent Windows from simply crashing when running out of memory by dumping your RAM contents on disk temporarily but instead just slows down your whole OS because it is used all the time even when it is not actually needed? Yea i disabled it, got fed up with this bull*****, also boosted my loading times in pretty much anything massively. Having 64GB RAM obviously helps but i do get 32+GB usage at times too.

• Like 1