Help ! World Map Woe !

rasterscan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello beautiful citizens of the SL Forums. I'm having world map troubles, and I know it'll be something I have or have'nt done. Can you help me ? In essence all the tick boxes are all greyed out and a relog does'nt fix. Any ideas what I've done wrong ?

3r.png

Edited by rasterscan

Disabling display of map icons when a large portion of the World Map is visible was required because of the load it placed on the service providing that data to the viewers.  Just in case somebody asks "Why?".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

Disabling display of map icons when a large portion of the World Map is visible was required because of the load it placed on the service providing that data to the viewers.  Just in case somebody asks "Why?".

Ooh, thankyou for that insight Ardy. I've notice the world map really struggles sometimes, grindingly slow, but I don't like to grumble, as all the regulars here know, so .... Carry On !

Tiles for the world map should be coming from your 'local node' on the content delivery network.  They should not be slower to arrive than any other textures.  Sometimes I find myself waiting longer than other times.  I don't know if that is the CDN node being a doof or if the upstream source it pulls from is.  Seems more likely that it's more complicated than that.  It's 'a system' of multiple components.

When I started coming to Second Life it could take twenty minutes for the World Map to load.  Panning the view resulted in another long delay.  Loading all the textures for the scene in Second Life was likewise painfully slow.  I remember making a note of it one night, in 2008, I think it was.  46 minutes and my viewer exited due to a heap allocation fault and some of the textures still hadn't completed loading!  It was exquisite torture!

I was also running Windows 2000 on a Pentium 4 with 4GB of RAM installed and an nvidia 4600GS video card.  Hehehe.

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rasterscan said:

Hello beautiful citizens of the SL Forums. I'm having world map troubles, and I know it'll be something I have or have'nt done. Can you help me ? In essence all the tick boxes are all greyed out and a relog does'nt fix. Any ideas what I've done wrong ?

3r.png

I can see my home :D 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.