Unpopular opinions

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Why do people get uptight about what others do?

If you had had some of things done to you that were done to me over the decades, you'd get uptight, too. Chances are you've never had a 9mm fired at your head from about 15 feet away and found the bullet holes in the wall behind your head in a semicircular pattern. One of which went through 4 walls and into the next door neighbor's duplex. Ever had a half full beer bottle connect with your head after it's been thrown from a moving car? Believe me, it's not fun. Or someone try to shove you out of an El Camino doing 60mph down the highway with gravel shoulders? That's not even a drop in the bucket of all the things that have been done to me. I did nothing to deserve any of it.

It's a wonder I've survived the last 60 years.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Well, it's 8% alcohol, which is my definition of a good beer.  Cheers!

It's ale, so while it's beautifully chilled after having been clutched in my cold undead hands for a day or so, you should really have it closer to room temperature. Hope you don't mind if I don't join you in the beer garden. It's a bit bright for me.

Regarding your earlier post, that is pretty much what the average Gorean looks like IRL, except with better makeup skills and dress sense. As a friend of mine once said: "You know every single one of these slaves is really a hairy, 30-stone trucker called Derek, right? Even the ones who really are women. In fact, especially them." True dat.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I am not always understood. I get thoughts in my head and then I type, and I often am misunderstood. I was directly responding to you. I was just generally asking you (and anyone else in this forum) if anyone truly did HATE anyone else - whether they hated YOU or anyone else. I know from my own experiences that I have, from time to time, felt like the least popular girl in school (and not just when I was in school) and then something has happened to prove to me that I wasn't hated after all, and in fact, I wasn't even remembered let alone hated. 

Winter is bobbins - crap - vile. I want to hibernate. And I fight that feeling the whole time, when I'm not fighting raging heat and arid dryness everywhere from the menopause. 

See my reply to BelindaN. You've already read the one where I stated I don't hate.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I've never even had my head thrown from a moving car.

You really must try to live a more sedate lifestyle, Selene!

Sorry. Even though it happened a very long time ago it's not something I can laugh at. The bottle was thrown deliberately from my cousin's car (not by my cousin though) at my head by one of his friends. I don't think my cousin ever knew it was me but I did hear him getting on his friend's case for doing it.

29 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

Nearly all of my opinions are pretty unpopular, depending on who you ask. But..if I had to pick one that ruffles feathers the most (or has, over the years...), it would be one that involves people who ignore, textually acknowledge and/or despise verbose twits like myself...the TLDR; crowd

Whether one states it, or merely mentally acknowledges TLDR;, I believe the driving force behind it, every single time, isn't because they're actually too lazy to read it, but rather falls under one, or both, of the following (yes, every time, no exceptions)

A-they fear they won't understand it, so they don't bother

B-they actually don't understand it, so either start reading and then stop, or don't bother

In both cases, it's fueled, entirely, by a diminished and/or underestimated intellect, intentional or otherwise. When people have to actually state it (TLDR;), I cringe, each and every time. It also pisses me off, mostly because if I spent the time typing it out and people can't acknowledge how effing hard that actually is for me....they deserve nothing but my scorn at that very moment, even if they're people I normally like an awful lot.  It's absolutely insulting and devastating to me to see it and usually fuels temporary absences for me here because I end up typing out a very long and colorful reply to them that I never actually share (And then I realize I need a break, so I take one). 

I actually have more faith in the intellect and capabilities of others than they seem to ,and it's very annoying. 

Brevity may be the soul of wit, but it normally just means people simply don't have much to offer.  As for TL/DR, it always makes me think to myself, "You have so little going on that you're whiling away the hours in here, surely you have nothing better to do than read the darned post you replied to!"

38 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

Nearly all of my opinions are pretty unpopular, depending on who you ask. But..if I had to pick one that ruffles feathers the most (or has, over the years...), it would be one that involves people who ignore, textually acknowledge and/or despise verbose twits like myself...the TLDR; crowd

Whether one states it, or merely mentally acknowledges TLDR;, I believe the driving force behind it, every single time, isn't because they're actually too lazy to read it, but rather falls under one, or both, of the following (yes, every time, no exceptions)

A-they fear they won't understand it, so they don't bother

B-they actually don't understand it, so either start reading and then stop, or don't bother

In both cases, it's fueled, entirely, by a diminished and/or underestimated intellect, intentional or otherwise. When people have to actually state it (TLDR;), I cringe, each and every time. It also pisses me off, mostly because if I spent the time typing it out and people can't acknowledge how effing hard that actually is for me....they deserve nothing but my scorn at that very moment, even if they're people I normally like an awful lot.  It's absolutely insulting and devastating to me to see it and usually fuels temporary absences for me here because I end up typing out a very long and colorful reply to them that I never actually share (And then I realize I need a break, so I take one). 

I actually have more faith in the intellect and capabilities of others than they seem to ,and it's very annoying. 

tl;dr : I want cookies and I want them now

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I've had a knife held to my throat - twice, and got away from a rapist, lived with a man who turned out to be a murderer. Survived it all, like a cat with nine lives, and I may be running out now. I don't think any of these people who attempted these things on me actually hated me - they hated themselves more perhaps. 

Yes, it makes us uptight, but we are stronger than we know.  I'm uptight, neurotic, and a ***** at times, but underneath I am loving and generally misunderstood. I think. My perception may be skewed.

You were lucky you got away. I had to live with all of my rapists. Only one of which was not related to me by blood and it took me 5 years to realize I had to get out and another 5 years to do it. I only managed to get away from my stalker ex because he got himself locked up in Camp Fed.

Yep. Had the knife thing done to me too. By a so called friend. That ended the friendship in a heartbeat and got him kicked out of my house immediately.

There's a lifetime worth of more I could tell you about but it would serve no purpose. Except maybe to cause someone to accuse me of turning it into a competition. No thanks.

8 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

It's ale, so while it's beautifully chilled after having been clutched in my cold undead hands for a day or so, you should really have it closer to room temperature. Hope you don't mind if I don't join you in the beer garden. It's a bit bright for me.

Regarding your earlier post, that is pretty much what the average Gorean looks like IRL, except with better makeup skills and dress sense. As a friend of mine once said: "You know every single one of these slaves is really a hairy, 30-stone trucker called Derek, right? Even the ones who really are women. In fact, especially them." True dat.

You Brits still use "stone"?  And, is Derek a popular name for women there?  Or for truckers?

image.png.cd04915ec4bb122171a82f4ea8ca5200.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

If you don’t like a product, don’t buy it. Or buy it and leave a review. But don’t use this forum to smear a creator.

I bought it six months or so before I found out about other bodies actually. How does disliking and my reasoning why I dislike smearing them? O.o They asked for my opinion that may be unpopular and I stated my unpopular opinion on Maitreya. Stated my dislike for it and why I dislike it. I didn't go out and say you should or should not buy Maitreya. Buy it and use it if you want, I'm just not rigging or creating things for it to focus on other bodies that people use.

• Like 1

Just now, Muiregwen said:

I bought it six months or so before I found out about other bodies actually. How does disliking and my reasoning why I dislike smearing them? O.o They asked for my opinion that may be unpopular and I stated my unpopular opinion on Maitreya. Stated my dislike for it and why I dislike it. I didn't go out and say you should or should not buy Maitreya. Buy it and use it if you want, I'm just not rigging or creating things for it to focus on other bodies that people use.

This is not the place to do that. Try an unofficial forum if you can’t leave a review. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

@Tari Landar  I don't often read your long posts, but it's not because I think they won't be interesting; it's because my eyes start to unfocus at a big block of text, and sometimes I lose concentration.  This goes for any long poster, not just you, of course.  Anyway you won't find me saying TL:DR to such posts. :) 

Random question by someone too lazy to investigate, but is there a way to change the color scheme in this forum.  I agree, the white on black makes my eyes hurt, and I'm cranky enough without sore eyes making me crankier.

Random question by someone too lazy to investigate, but is there a way to change the color scheme in this forum.  I agree, the white on black makes my eyes hurt, and I'm cranky enough without sore eyes making me crankier.

You can switch between light and dark mode at the bottom of the page where it says “theme” but that’s about it

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:
4 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

You can switch between light and dark mode at the bottom of the page where it says “theme” but that’s about it

You can get a browser extension called Dark Reader that allows you to adjust what kind of "dark mode" you like.

The page isn't white-on-black for me, more like light-grey-on-dark-grey.
3edc7edc08.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I use the dark theme available here already.   I tried to find out where I changed it but other people were quicker.

Just now, Tolya Ugajin said:

You Brits still use "stone"?  And, is Derek a popular name for women there?  Or for truckers?

For people's weights, yes, a fair number of us do. A lot of people can do it in kilos and that's probably more popular, but I find stones easier. When Americans tell me a person's weight, I have to mentally divide it by 14 to get an idea of what they mean. I find imperial measurements much easier to visualise, even though I know metric is a lot simpler. I'm not much good with kilometres either. When I was a child, my mother told me that the distance to our church was a mile, and that's the yardstick I've used ever since.

Derek is by far the most popular RL name for all Goreans, especially the kajagoogoos, but to be fair, a decent number of them are called Clive or Humphrey. Their Glorious Leader thinks Doreen and Beverley are sexy names, so actually it's an improvement. I live in hope that one day, one of them really will invent a truly By The Book sim with demonstrably reduced gravity as it's supposed to be, so they all bounce around like crap space hoppers while suffering from muscle wastage and nausea. Which, ironically, is what they spend their RL time doing.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm afraid I don't understand this thread...or the reason it went the way it did go. Between it and the impeachment trial on CNN playing in the background I feel like I'm having some sort of major dissociative episode... :)   :(

I frequent another forum that's very well known in Britain (wave if you see me but I name change frequently) and the unpopular opinion threads always go badly and get deleted. This is waaaay better than what I'm used to.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.