A light is broken for me, and only me

Rumancekk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I don't know where to post this but I'm annoyed. I have a light upstairs in my room that emits a pinkish glow. Or rather, it's a sign. Someone went in there and touched it and now it has not worked right for me since, even tho I've touched it. I no longer see the pink glow. At first it was flashing on and off, now it just does nothing.

I see it if i sign off and back on, but once I go downstairs, it is turned off again. It has never done this before.

I see it if I right click it, but when I stop right clicking it or editing, it turns back off for me.

It's not shareable to anyone else so idk how someone could've messed it up but I took the one that was broken and put a different one out and it's still doing the same thing. I don't want to buy a new one and have it break, too.

I'm really frustrated because it makes my entire room and now it doesn't work.

I'll show a pic of what it's supposed to look like and whati t looks like when I'm in edit mode.

romanscondlife_404.png

romanscondlife_403.png

3 answers to this question

You may have run into the number of lights limit. You can only have eight lights active at a time, and two are reserved for the sun and the moon. Only the nearest lights emit light. "Nearest" can include lights downstairs or outside, and lights which are very dim. Find all the nearby lights and turn some of the others off, and things may improve.

In SL, "looks lit", "glows", and "emits light which lights other objects" are completely separate. You can have large numbers of things which look lit (this is called "full bright"), some number of things which glow, but only a few which light other objects. It looks like your sign has "looks lit" and "glows" turned on, but isn't lighting other objects.

• Like 1

Can you turn on Advanced Lighting Model (somewhere in Preferences / Graphics)? I think you might see more lights that way.

But I'm not sure about the flashing on and off, and then not. Or how it was triggered by a touch. You say it doesn't work "for me"... do you know how others see it now?

[EDIT, much later: It is possible to get a flashing on/off effect using shadows, texture animation, and projected texture lights - it's a trick I've used a few times to get flashing with no scripts (after setup). You could try turning on shadows for projected lights, but this is a very uncommon trick so I doubt that's anything your light is using.]

Edited by Qie Niangao

Without ALM enabled the OpenGL limit is 8 lights. Enabling ALM allows the use of as many lights as your video card will handle. If you do not have a dedicated graphics card I suspect the number of lights rendered with ALM enabled is reduced.

Since the sign is likely No-Mod you can't play with it to fix it. But, you may be able to reset the scripts and get it restarted. Or hopefully it is Copy-OK and you can try rezzing a new copy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.