Sailing Newbie -- Halp! :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all :)

I'm an extreme novice sailor in SL, and I love my boat.  My problem is that sometimes the engine (my boat, the Bandit 50/3, has an engine for pulling out of/ into the marina) will start, but the boat won't move forward.  Similar issues have happened in the Blake Sea when I lost my mind and steered directly into the wind, and couldn't figure out how to rescue myself other than starting the engine, and nada.  No movement whatsoever.  Sure, it looks like it's running and sounds like it's running, but it's... well, the boat won't move.

I've checked to make sure the waters aren't too shallow for my keel, and that's not the issue (it was once in the marina, because I didn't realize keels were a thing -- yes, super noob here :P )

Any ideas?  I'm pretty sure I'm either doing something wrong or it's an SL borkage thing, but honestly either is a very real possibility.  I did take the classes offered on how to sail, which is how I know steering into the wind is Not At All Advised (physics aren't my strong point), but I can't find out if this engine trouble is a "me" thing or not.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have!

Edited by Ajay McDowwll
Saying "thing" too often gave me the headache.

Silly question, but you never know...

have you used the page-up key to kick it into a forweard gear? Its a while since I had my Bandit 55 out on the water, and I can't get at the manual at the moment, but I'll bet yours works the same. Additional presses of Page-up will increase the throttle.

Edited by Odaks
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Odaks said:

Silly question, but you never know...

have you used the page-up key to kick it into a forweard gear? Its a while since I had my Bandit 55 out on the water, and I can't get at the manual at the moment, but I'll bet yours works the same. Additional presses of Page-up will increase the throttle.

I have?  I think.  I know I have in the past, but it's possible I forgot to do so at the times when it wouldn't work.  I'll make a note to ensure I do that this evening when I get home... because like I said, it could totally be a me issue, and that would be the easiest fix!

Thank you :)

How shallow is the water when this happens? Is anything external colliding with the boat.

Bandit boats can get stuck if the water is too shallow - for realism purposes. If part of the boat is stuck into the ground under the water that CAN snare a boat (not always, in fact I placed my boat partly inside of a solid prim so that when I sat on it it gets pushed off the launch point and into water, so this varies).

I have seen vehicles catch on prims around them if things line up just right - I can't recall this every happening with my bandit boats, but I can't say it hasn't either. I'm just not remembering.

• Like 1

Something else has just come to mind. Depending on your operating system, sometimes other software installed, or your particular keyboard, the Page UP and Page Down keys might have become disabled. Try toggling Num Lock, and/or Scroll Lock(if you have one) if so.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Odaks said:

Something else has just come to mind. Depending on your operating system, sometimes other software installed, or your particular keyboard, the Page UP and Page Down keys might have become disabled. Try toggling Num Lock, and/or Scroll Lock(if you have one) if so.

Oh yes. Mac Laptops don't have page-up and page-down. So you have to simulate it with 2 keys.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

How shallow is the water when this happens? Is anything external colliding with the boat.

Bandit boats can get stuck if the water is too shallow - for realism purposes. If part of the boat is stuck into the ground under the water that CAN snare a boat (not always, in fact I placed my boat partly inside of a solid prim so that when I sat on it it gets pushed off the launch point and into water, so this varies).

I have seen vehicles catch on prims around them if things line up just right - I can't recall this every happening with my bandit boats, but I can't say it hasn't either. I'm just not remembering.

The water isn't shallow enough for it to be an issue; I have cammed down to make sure (and I've been caught on the bottom before, albeit not this time), and also the failure to move has occurred in areas where I've previously been able to gain reasonable forward momentum via the same means.

I took my boat out this morning, made SURE to press "Page Up" after I started the engine, and this time it worked.  So I'd say at this point it's 90% likely to be me just forgetting to page up :/  Thank you all for mentioning that!  My motor boats go forward with just the up arrow once the engine is started, so it's way more likely to have been a "me" issue than an SL borkage problem.

Much appreciated, y'all :)

Edited by Ajay McDowwll
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, carolinestravels said:

Ajay

The bandit has actually several gears. Page up several times changes gears to go faster.

Yes :)  That much I've mastered... when I remember to press "Page Up" in the first place, apparently LOL.  Thank you!

Edited by Ajay McDowwll
My brain is dead.
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.